check key against OEM preactivated files

hi all, I have a lil question about the oem activation files. I read some posts about them and before trying to do something "new" myself maybe someone did it already.

My idea came from taking a look at the windows vista installation, it ask for the cd key at the begining then it selects the right version depending on the cd key (win PE? don't know). Well what I want to do is something similar, but with Windows XP Professional, to be able to put the cd key when the computer boots then it can somehow check the oem files i have in the cd and jump into the right version of windows, but in this case won't be a version, but a different oem install.

Example:

1. Boot the computer with CD on

2. Ask for cd key

3. check cd key against different oem activation files and point to Dell installation folder to read the setupldr.bin on a multiboot cd, or setupldr.bin on a folder that has the Compaq or IBM installation, or just to make it simple have one installation of windows xp on the cd and just replace the oem files for the Dell, IBM, etc and then jump into the text mode of installation.

I don't know if it would be possible or not, if there is a way to check the cd key against the oem preactivated files??

thank you.

Hey Axl,

I don't think your idea will work.

As WinXP uses [i believe] 5 types of CD Key, all of which work on the 'Type' of disk i.e. OEM, Corp. or Retail and not the manufacturers string.

I've got a multi-boot disk that does some simular.

It has 11 OEM Branded install disks on one CD.

I choose the Manfacturer from the boot menu, add the CD Key from the COA when it asks and sit back. Although the systems need to be activated after install, but thats an advantage to us. ;)

Theres plenty off info in the multi-boot section.