How to change file icons?

weEvil

How do I change my icons back to the defaults? Or to whatever I want?

Whenever I use foxit it replaces all the default icons with the ugly crap it comes with. Same with uTorrent, Firefox.. etc.

They don't scale well on the desktop either.

I'm using XP.

Edited by brucevangeorge

You can't use the normal methods to restore icons changed by Foxit, because it resets them in the registry to its own icons every time the program loads. Firefox is like this as well, as is Spybot S&D. Truly insidious, needless, and disgusting programming!

HOWEVER...you can use a hex editor to hack Foxit so it leaves your icon settings alone. Just search for "DefaultIcon" in the executable and change every occurance to another 11-character word. I use "GotchaSucka".

Now use the procedure mentioned above to reset the PDF icon to what you want. The next time you load Foxit, it will leave your selected icon settings alone.

Note that this hack works for every program that is written in this awful fashion, except SpyBot S&D, which performs an internal hacking check when it loads. For this reason I no longer use Spybot S&D, and I recommend that others not use it as well...when it comes to anti-virus and anti-spyware programs, I refuse to use or recommend one written so poorly.

HOWEVER...you can use a hex editor to hack Foxit so it leaves your icon settings alone. Just search for "DefaultIcon" in the executable and change every occurance to another 11-character word. I use "GotchaSucka".

OMG! It works!

BTW, how did you learn of this? I'd like to know more stuff.