Windows Media Problem

rayof86

I got a Vista Ultimate install down to 680ish MB to fit on a CD-R but to do this I had to scrap the Media Center. I figured once the OS was installed I could just download WMP11 and all would be well. Well to install it I have to get this "NSKU Media Restore Pack for Vista" this is no big deal to me except windows update fails every time it tries to install this update with "Error 80092004". Everything else updated/installed fine until I had to get this as a pre-requisite for WMP11. Any work around/fix for this?

Removing Media Center doesn't remove WMP11, you chose that separately. Also you could even save the codecs but I get it you didn't know you'll need it.

Try this

http://codecpack.nl/wmlite240.exe

but I doubt it will help, you'll probably need Vista original WMP11 Codecs, you'll have to reinstall with codecs, or whole wmp11, kept.

I actually removed Windows Media Center as well and now I have a massive codec issue that I can't fix. I can view most movies, but others just show a black screen (problem mostly apparent for DVD movies). I can't view HD content no matter what codecs I have installed. I have no idea how to fix it other than reinstalling with Media Center intact.

Edited by dieburnbot

Hmmm alright, I guess I will just deal with it. I don't really care to have WMP but I cant view WMV files through websites wich is kind of a pain. Iv downloaded all needed codecs also, looks like fresh install with WMP/codecs would be final option.

Also I would like to say vLite is an amazing application and has been a HUGE help to me.

Edited by rayof86

dieburnbot, Media Center doesn't have so called HD codec in it, your problem is elsewhere. Maybe HDCP issue. Try FFDSHOW codec pack if you haven't yet.

And if you are watching HD WMV then of course keep at least WMP Codecs but I recommend the play as well, in that case only.

rayof86, then maybe that wmlite might help you, there are few other wmp codec packs which have browser plugin as well but I never managed to make them work under Firefox for example, I was missing some ActiveX streaming control. That was XP though...now I just don't watch WMV streams, if it doesn't have Flash stream I skip it because it's so rare these days.

I installed WMLite and it didnt work, it seemed to just install codecs I already had anyways but its alright. I would like to know why this NKSU Media Restore Pack will not install. Looks like everything would be fine if that would just install but I guess it all goes back to my install having no WMP integration or codecs.1 Thanks for the help though guys.

1 Found out that N SKU Media Restore Pack is for the "Vista N" versions (Academic or Euro versions I guess) that do not come with WMP at all, and this was Microsoft's fix for that. I'm guessing this wont install because it sees that I have Vista Ultimate wich would not need the restore pack, but it is also seeing that I don't have any kind of Windows Media Player software installed, so I get the option to download this fix.

Now I'm debating on remaking a Vista CD with WMP/codecs just because I'm semi-perfectionist and I would like for my OS to be in prime running condition. (Plus vLite is just fun to use ;] )

EDIT: Ripped my Vista ultimate to ISO (on a friends PC who actually has a DVD drive) transfered ISO to my PC, mounted ISO, clicked "Upgrade" and it installed all 3GB of its bloatness :] Atleast I have WMP now though without reformat.

Hope this will be of some help to people.

Edited by rayof86

EDIT: Ripped my Vista ultimate to ISO (on a friends PC who actually has a DVD drive) transfered ISO to my PC, mounted ISO, clicked "Upgrade" and it installed all 3GB of its bloatness :] Atleast I have WMP now though without reformat.

Hope this will be of some help to people.

I didn't understand this one... :( I'm having almost the same problem. Removed Media Center and Media Player from my (Ultimate) installation (kept the codecs), and I can't neither install the nsku media restore pack. I get an 80073715 error from Windows Update, and when I try to install the pack from the "Windows Media Player 11 for Windows XP" installation, it just fails, without any error description.