Convert Vista Laptop to XP: nLite Challenge

70runner

My new Fuji laptop has vista home premium. I want to do a fresh XP Pro install. I'm trying to use a restore disk from an older Fuji laptop with XP Pro and nlite to create an XP iso slipstreamed with drivers. Fuji has apparently had so many requests they’ve posted winXP driver executables for the new laptop even tho they all came with vista. Here’s the catch...

I copied the contents of the restore disk to the folder XPCD shown below. These files don’t have the usual xp folder config with i386 folder, et al. The 1.4GB “Image_C.FC2” file presumably contains the xp install files, along with an assortment of recover files/programs, as shown: file1.jpg

file2.jpg

I’m unable to access the "Image_C.FC2" file with winrar and nlite doesn’t recognize the windows installation within these files. Instead nlite recognizes the windows xp installation on the hard drive in the windows folder of the XP laptop. Nlite identifies the version as SP0 although it is an SP2 – so that causes me to wonder if nlite is working correctly.

nlite.jpg

Will Nlite using the XP hard drive files (instead of those from the restore CD) work for what I'm trying to do?

Edited by 70runner

It simply wont work.

Look inside the windows folder for a Folder named I386 THAT is the folder you trully need! Well that and a coupla win51 files but you can make those yourself.

If you find a i386 folder then please post its size and a screenshot of the folders in it.

nlite.jpg <-- this show a folder size of 12 gigs lol you don't happen to have a blueray dvd burner do ya? You'd need one.

PERFECT!!!

It looks like you have an SP0 (Or gold, vanilla source) Now take that and place in in a folder called XP at the root of any drive.

Extract the attached files and place them in your XP folder. Next to the i386 folder.

Run nLite point it to XP and make iso.

Burn that to a CD and set aside for when SP3 is released!

Now run nLite again and slipstream SP2 and nlite to your little hearts desire.

Heres the updated snapshot of nlite using the i386 folder from the hard drive windows folder with the 2 added files. Does this look like a good basis for an XP conversion? I like your idea of two cd's, one awaiting SP3 and the other with SP2.

XP.jpg

Just make an nLited install. Do whatever.

Burn it to a CDRW, test it. Because you don't want a coaster, and you'll probably screw up the first time. Everyone does.

If it works, great. Tweak it and make a good one.

If it doesn't, post about it and we'll help you out.

Don't be asking anybody to hold your hand. Try it yourself. Then come back if there are issues and you can't figure it out.

Edited by brucevangeorge

PERFECT!!!

It looks like you have an SP0 (Or gold, vanilla source) Now take that and place in in a folder called XP at the root of any drive.

Extract the attached files and place them in your XP folder. Next to the i386 folder.

Run nLite point it to XP and make iso.

Made iso and attempted fresh install of XP Pro, integrated with SP2, to virtual drive for test. Install failed almost immediately, with window labeled "Network Component Upgrade". Notation within the window: "Error reading information from netmap.inf. Setup cannot continue." Goes on to say cannot find netmap.inf. There is no netmap.inf in existing i386 folder. Forum/google searches didn't turn up anything conclusive, though some connected lack of netmap.inf file to OEM configuration.

Ideas???