Working LBA48 patch for Win98SE?

xrayer

Hi,

I just bought big SATA HDD WD 500GB. I set "IDE/combined" mode in SETUP (chipset: i945G+ICH7R) to operate 2 SATA ports like standard IDE channel (PATA have attached CDW+DVDW, SATA - HDD). I made here 1 FAT16 and 2 FAT32 (192GB) partitions. It's well accessible from DOS 7.1 but I can access only 1st FAT32 from Win98se. So I installed LBA48 patch (~100kB self-installation exe which should replace ESDI_506.PDR)

The problem is a BSOD I got on next boot (translated from CZ):

"Bad call of dynamic connection of VxD ESDI_506.PDR(03) + 000017EB to device 0026 service A. And ask if I want to continue".

When I continue it boot OK and even LBA48 works - I can access all partitions. But I got this nasty BSOD on every startup. Is there some alternative and fully working LBA48 patch?

Another question to SATA - why Win98SE cannot work with IDE/enhanced mode (1 PATA channel + 4 SATA ports?). In DOS 7.1 it works but Win98SE hangs during boot but works in safe mode. It's not too important now I can live with combined mode.

Plase could you link me to this thread? I searched for "LBA48" in thread titles and nothing else found...

Aha, you probably meant "Enable48BitLBA | Break the 137Gb barrier!" OK

EDIT: PROBLEM SOLVED (I USED WRONG VERSION), MODS PLEASE DELETE THIS THREAD

Edited by xrayer

Intel Application Accelerator provides LBA48 support for Intel HDD controller chipsets. I'm using IAA with Intel 815 and 845 chipset series and it works witout any other additional patch.

According to the readme file IAA works with Intel 82801AA, 82801AB, 82801BA and 82801DB IDE controllers. Perhaps, there is a newer version available, as I did not update it for a few yers, already.

According to the readme file IAA works with Intel 82801AA, 82801AB, 82801BA and 82801DB IDE controllers. Perhaps, there is a newer version available, as I did not update it for a few yers, already.

No, intel no longer support IAA 9x version. So latest usable chipset with IAA is i860 (i think ICH4 or 5).