Ram Speed ?

D_block

how do you find the ram speed when the Os is booted ? i know you can find it in the bios most times , but when your pc is fully booted up and stuff where do i go to find it ?

i like to know for XP and for Vista !!

Id use everest but if your just looking for real quick info about your board/ram try this:

http://www.crucial.com/systemscanner (open that in IE -activeX required)

it wont tell you the speed you have your ram clocked at but it will give you info about what speeds your board will support and whether itll do ECC/Dual channel

yuh see in kost casses you would have an idea what type of ram the pc supports,but when you want to do and upgrade from say 512 to 1024 you would need to have the both sticks of ram at the same speed .

and it thee case that there is no internet available , i thought there may be a way that windows may have displayed this info :unsure:

ok i just tried out cpu-z i like how you dont have to install it but one thing is puzzling

i have a 1024 ddr2 ram 533 mhz but its reading differently in cpu-z

so this is very misleading if im using it to buy ram for a pc :unsure:

under the spd tab it reads it as 266 which is only half :wacko: anyone care to explain

post-138116-1196723646_thumb.jpg

Edited by D_block

yuh see in kost casses you would have an idea what type of ram the pc supports,but when you want to do and upgrade from say 512 to 1024 you would need to have the both sticks of ram at the same speed .
you only need to match the memory if you want to use "Dual Channel" if your motherboard supports it. Otherwise a pair of different memory will just run at the speed of the slowest module.
you computer is probably underclocking itself to save power and reduce heat if you are not doing anything intensive; your cpu "core speed" is probably also at 50%.

you computer is probably underclocking itself to save power and reduce heat if you are not doing anything intensive; your cpu "core speed" is probably also at 50%.

No no guys, it’s showing correct there; its 266MHz Double Data Rate, so 2*266=533MHz ;).

When you want to see the type of RAM you are using, click on the SPD tab, or better, give us a screenshot from that view. The one that has been posted is (almost) useless...

Both,

It’s hard to find the Manufacturer of that module; well at least I could not find it.

If you want to upgrade or so, then buy a Kingston value RAM or ADATA(VDATA) 1GB 533MHz DDR PC-4200 module, just the cheapest versions.

it was actually for a guy's pc that i was lookingfor the info for, a laptop actually . in all the cases ive seen so far with pc's running two different speeds of ram, it usually crashes and creates video problems, so i wanted to know how to determine the correct speed to match his own