AVG or Avria FreeAV

Right now, my computer is protected by Norton Anti-Virus '06. I am starting to think it won't be long now until Norton forces us to upgrade to a newer version. When that day comes, I'm thinking of dumping Norton altogether and using a free alternative.

So far, the only free AV alternatives I know of is AVG Free and Avira. I have used AVG Free on Windows 98SE before and have found it to be pretty good. I have not tried Avira as of yet.

Does anybody have opinions about these two free Anti-virus programs and which one is better overall?

Personally I think that Avira is a far superior Anti-Virus program. The only drawback is the "nag screen" every time you update the virus database. If you can tolerate clicking on OK, then go for Avira. There is a third free AV program, go to www.pctools.com.

with Avira the nag screen can be removed, all you have to do is in the local security policy create a new software restriction policy under additional rules add a path rule to the avnotify.exe and disallow it and it will never nag you again :)

If I could only pick between the two, I'd go with Avira. Though your best bet would be avast.

i second that, avast has email protection, which is clearly stated as not being included with the free version of Avira...actually someone asked me the same question earlier this week.