Install Vista From External Usb Hard Disk

Post_2

Hi!

The INSTALL.WIM is much more greater than 4 gb so the burned ISO doesn't work correctly. So I want to install vista from an external usb Hard Disk but what I have to do?

Thank You and sorry for my poor english

Run CMD and type the following.

diskpart

select disk 1

clean

create partition primary

select partition 1

active

format fs=fat32

assign

exit

Where Disk 1 is your flash drive.....

Copy Windows Vista's DVD ROM content to the Flash Drive

Simply issue the following command to start copying all the content from the Windows Vista DVD to your newly formatted high speed flash drive.

* xcopy d:\*.* /s/e/f e:\

I used Logical Disk Management, I activated the FAT32 partition but I couldn't copy INSTALL.WIM because an error message said INSUFFICIENT DISK SPACE(20 gb free). So I tried to put windows on a dual layer dvd in UDF format but the boot doesn't work. What I have to do? There are alternatives to install vista with INSTALL.WIM greater than 4gb?

thx

correct me if im wrong but FAT32 cant handle s file bigger than 4GB, how big is the install.wim?

You can use vlite, which will make it less thn 4gb if you remove the uneeded drivers, languages, etc... but will only have one version of vista on the usb stick... or you can look on google to see how to exeed the 4gb limit.

What i did was remove all un-needed lanauges, drivers, etc.. an then rebuild, and did the same for each vista version eventaully had a rebuilt image of each vista version and then in the end just merged them back together and the overall install.wim size was smaller. So its like using the apply method on all of them but my way makes the install.wim smaller, if that makes sense

Edited by legolash2o

• 4 months later...