New Build - Refuses to Boot - Thoughts?

Spinman

Anything I'm overlooking?

I decided to build a new box using new spare parts I've accumulated over the years for a "no-cost/low-cost" system. All new, untested retail components.

Soyo SY-P4RC350 motherboard with Centron D-345 processor (478 socket/533mhz/3.06g/90n Prescott)

Using onboard video, no additional agp or pci cards at this time.

I mounted everything, booted normally and installed windows. Was relatively pleased that the system exhibited no problems (no warranty/exchange for defective parts available).

During the assembly and windows installation process - the system was on for perhaps 1 hour and rebooted several times (both cold and warm). Once everything was up and running properly, I shut down and removed power cord for the evening.

I returned the next day, added a few more hard drives to the system - when I tried to boot - nothing. No bios splash screen. The CPU fan spins, the led's on the board light, the hard disk spins - but no bios boot screen on my monitor. Does not make the sounds associated with booting (running but no video) - too silent.

Tired reseating everything (memory, cpu, cables) - no improvement.

Tried a different power supply - no improvement.

Detached all hard drives - no improvement.

Swapped memory chips - no improvement.

Removed motherboard from case and tried to run on the bench - no improvement.

Cant get to the bios splash screen and continue booting from there.

Am I correct in assuming that the motherboard is garbage?

Don't have another 478 socket board at this moment to swap out and check...

Can't think of anything else to do to check / correct the problems...

Thanks -

Edited by Spinman

Some additional information -

For some reason, after several boot attempt over the course of 1/2 hour - I finally got to the post test.

I was able to do a warm boot and recycle through up to the Post test several times.

Decided to flash the bios, to ensure I had the latest version - it worked fine (apparently I did have the latest version).

I was able to boot the floppy and hard drive (once). Then the same problem returned - no post test.

Reviewing the diagnostic tree on the SOYO web site, I ran a variety of tests and analysis.

I changed the jumper settting to clear the cmos - when I rebooted, I was able to reach the post test.

I'll keep checking for the next day to see if it has stabalized - or if problems return. I think I'll leave it on today and not press my luck - perhaps time for a little burn in test...

jcarle he already did that:

Spinman,

I would think it’s a bad seated BIOS chip or indeed a voltage problem of the motherboard (besides the PSU).

Check the voltage settings in the BIOS and post them here please.

jcarle he already did that:

Oops... missed that.

So the board with NOTHING connected other the CPU and memory still won't boot?

I'm wondering if it's not a CPU parameter setting... something like an improper FSB. A CPU that's overclocked beyond it's capacity would cause a system to react in the same way (motherboard on, fans turning, no response).