MSPaint and notepad2 in WinPE 2.0 (problems?)

poppyq

First, by all accounts to add mspaint to WinPE you should just be able to copy mspaint.exe to windows\system32 since it is a self-contained executable. I've done this, but anytime I try to run mspaint I get the error "Failed to create empty document". The main reference I find to this error is that it cannot find the TEMP variable or the folder where the variable points does not exist. I have verified that my variable exists and the folder exists as well, but I still get the error. Any ideas? Is there another paint type program I can put into WinPE 2.0?

Second, I have added notepad2 to my WinPE 2.0 build by renaming notepad.exe to notepad1.exe and placing notepad2.exe in the build as notepad.exe. Notepad2 works fine, but when I try to run notepad1.exe nothing happens. I just tested renaming notepad1.exe back to notepad.exe and it opens. Is there some sort of validation that makes it not run unless it is named notepad.exe? I have some end-users of my WinPE build that like notepad2 and some that want notepad. Any suggestions?

With regards to notepad, if you are having both on your build anyway, why not just leave notepad.exe named that and include Notepad 2 as notepad2.exe?

Not sure about the Paint problem. It's a long shot, but how much free RAM have you got? All I can think of is that there isnt enough free to create a document?

• 2 weeks later...

I want the default to be notepad2, but I have some users who would like to use notepad still. What I've done to solve that is to put notepad2 in its own directory but put that directory in the path before windows\system32 that way typing notepad at a prompt will use notepad2, but users can still use notepad via a shortcut I created.

I still don't have a solution for why MS Paint won't run. I've found plenty of websites stating to just use the .exe, but I have plenty of RAM on my test systems and I still get that error. The only thing I can guess is that WinPE 2.0 doesn't have a component that by default the .exe actually depends on.

• 3 years later...

Same Problem :/

When I run it from C:\Windows\System32 it works fine....

But after copying it to X:\Windows\System32 and try to run it from there or any other Directory I get the same error:

"Failed to create empty document"

No solution yet! But maybe you´ve solved it since 2004 ^^ If so, let me know ;)