XP Service Pack 3 support

monohouse

@deda:

Same here, for the Creative cards I use KX Project drivers, NEVER the Creative bloatware.

And yes, MS provides basic drivers for ATI/NVIDIA but the best DX/OGL capable drivers are available from their makers.

@monoxide:

Nice going with the OEM brand; I believe magenta is the "alpha" color that blends with the window background.

Help us out and do tell what you removed with nLite, if you did.

I tried 3300 last night with the kitchen sink removed; no errors on part of the Security Center missing, but I was missing most of my Start menu and some apps (Solitaire, for instance.. but Spider made it) that I didn't choose for removal. I noticed that Setup skipped to the final stage about one-third through Copying Files (I use the classic 2k-looking setup). I removed everything from COM/LPT to Scanners to Modem support, all the languages outside ENU, and a ton of services. I've attached the preset file for nLite 1.4.1 here--fill in the Unattended section with your own product key, computer name, and workgroup.

I use a path schema as follows (this is part of my preset):

%systemdrive%\c = Common Files (must edit WINNT.SIF to reflect this--it defaults to %programfiles%\Common Files)

%systemdrive%\p = Program Files

%systemdrive%\t = Temp

%systemdrive%\u = Documents and Settings (user profiles)

%systemdrive%\w = Windows

Keeps pathnames short and simple, without spaces (some apps like mIRC scripts require this), and if you think about it.. a smaller Registry.. Probably not much CPU overhead saved, but more compact from the get-go.

Of course you could always change all of that back and toy with the removals for a better build.. I have an Athlon XP, so I don't waste my time with high CAB compression. Check it out.

Btw.. This preset as-is reduces the 3300 source from 663 megs to 189.

Last_Session.ini

Edited by larson

• 1 month later...