.NET Framework 3.5 (Silent Installer)

yahoo27

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5

Brief Description

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 contains many new features building incrementally upon .NET Framework 2.0 and 3.0, and includes .NET Framework 2.0 service pack 1 and .NET Framework 3.0 service pack 1.

Overview

.NET Framework 3.5 builds incrementally on the new features added in .NET Framework 3.0. For example, feature sets in Windows Workflow Foundation (WF), Windows Communication Foundation (WCF), Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) and Windows CardSpace. In addition, .NET Framework 3.5 contains a number of new features in several technology areas which have been added as new assemblies to avoid breaking changes. They include the following:

* Deep integration of Language Integrated Query (LINQ) and data awareness. This new feature will let you write code written in LINQ-enabled languages to filter, enumerate, and create projections of several types of SQL data, collections, XML, and DataSets by using the same syntax.

* ASP.NET AJAX lets you create more efficient, more interactive, and highly-personalized Web experiences that work across all the most popular browsers.

* New Web protocol support for building WCF services including AJAX, JSON, REST, POX, RSS, ATOM, and several new WS-* standards.

* Full tooling support in Visual Studio 2008 for WF, WCF, and WPF, including the new workflow-enabled services technology.

* New classes in .NET Framework 3.5 base class library (BCL) that address many common customer requests.

IMPORTANT:

* If you have installed earlier pre-release versions of .NET Framework 3.5, then you must uninstall them prior to running this installation by using Add or Remove Programs.

Download Link:

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 (197 mb)

http://download.microsoft.com/download/6/0/f/60fc5854-3cb8-4892-b6db-bd4f42510f28/dotnetfx35.exe

Before installing .NET Framework 3.5, you need to install Windows Inataller 3.1 Redistributable (v2), here's the download link:

Windows Inataller 3.1 Redistributable (v2)

http://download.microsoft.com/download/1/4/7/147ded26-931c-4daf-9095-ec7baf996f46/WindowsInstaller-KB893803-v2-x86.exe

MAKING SILENT INSTALLER:

1. Download dotnetfx35.exe and WindowsInstaller-KB893803-v2-x86.exe (links above)

2. Make the batch file with following lines:

Install.bat

@echo off

title Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5

echo.

echo Installing Windows Installer 3.1...

start /wait WindowsInstaller-KB893803-v2-x86.exe /passive /norestart

echo.

echo Installing Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5...

start /wait dotnetfx35.exe /q:a /c:"setup.exe /q /norestart" /norestart

3. Repack using winRAR, make it to extract to the temp folder and to run install.bat after extraction.

4. Installation will take up some time, to verify n check the successful install... go to the Add / Remove Programs in Control Panel, it will list the following files...

.NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 1 (187 mb)

.NET Framework 3.0 Service Pack 1 (246 mb)

.NET Framework 3.5 (25.3 mb)

Note:

In case you need to install the .NET Framework 1.1, make it sure to install it first and then reboot before installing .NET Framework 3.5

Download Link:

Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 (23.1 mb)

http://download.microsoft.com/download/a/a/c/aac39226-8825-44ce-90e3-bf8203e74006/dotnetfx.exe

MAKING SILENT INSTALLER: (for .net framework 1.1)

1. Download dotnetfx.exe

2. Make the batch file with following lines:

Install.bat

@echo off

title Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1

echo.

echo Installing Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1...

start /wait dotnetfx.exe /q:a /c:"install /l /q"

echo.

cmdow @ /HID

shutdown.exe -r -f -t 30 -c "Windows XP will restart in 30 seconds..."

EXIT

3. Repack using winRAR, make it to extract to the temp folder and to run install.bat after extraction.

REGARDS,

yahoo27

:hello::hello::hello:

Does it include any patches for 2.0? I remember there were some though I may have mistaken.

Yeah, I saw this and was going to ask if anyone installed it yet on a clean system to know which .NET patches this release makes redundant.

Does it include any patches for 2.0? I remember there were some though I may have mistaken.

Yeah, I saw this and was going to ask if anyone installed it yet on a clean system to know which .NET patches this release makes redundant.

sorry.... but i have no idea about the patches.... i installed it on my new PC n the only thing i know right now is that it is working flawlessly.

If you are interested in this idea, and are running a 32 bit operating system.

I found that I could delete all x64 related files and folders and still install all updates.

I'm sure this is not the way it should be done, but it does work.

Extract dotNetFx35.exe into a folder named dotNet35

Delete all files and folders containing 64 (amd64, ia64, x64).

Extract dotNetFx35setup.exe into your created folder (dotNet35).

Delete the original dotNetFx35setup.exe

Re-Pack using WinRAR or similar program and execute setup.exe /q /norestart

Cut unpacked size from 219MB to 100MB and still installed flawlessly (For me at least).

I couldn't help but notice the locdata.ini files including x64 entries but I don't know enough to completely fix this.

Like I said, this probably isn't correct but it does work.

(See referenced JPG file.)

Actually we know .NET 3.0 to simply be .NET 2.0 with a few other things thrown in. .NET 3.5 seems to be .NET 2.0 with a few more things thrown in than .NET 3.0. But maybe with this last post, I'm wondering if that's how the jump-up from roughly a 50MB install (in .NET 3.0) to a 197MB install is too justifiable. If the 64-bit stuff is in there, then it could be cut down drastically for a 32-bit install, most likely.

Anyway, to address the pic, which is a screen shot of Add/Remove Programs...

1) Is there anything that indicates that .NET 1.1 is still necessary with .NET 3.5? If I read what is listed under the .NET 2.0 install correctly, I interpret ".NET Framework 1" to be the same thing. True or false?

2) I notice my .NET 3.0 install is still listed. Bug or is .NET 3.5 and .NET 3.0 co-existing? I guess the question parallel to the last one is if one should de-install everything first before installing .NET 3.5.

3) I knew one of the major projects Microsoft had in mind was to port WPF from Vista to XP. I can't say I know too well, but does this mean that Vista-only apps (i.e. apps that won't run on XP) can be run now without something like Alky for Applications?

4) I guess my patch question got answered when I took a good look at this. Killling off all .NET 2.0 and .NET 3.0 patches if one installs .NET 3.5 seems to be a safe bet. But again, not so sure about .NET 1.1 stuff.

Any thoughts on this?

false, - .NET v2 is NOT the same as .NET v1.1 - and .NET-v2 cannot run v1 aplications,

So if by now your app isn't ported to .NET v2 you still would need v1.1 installed but most apps should be ported by now, thus you could say version 1 is kind of obslolete.

So we still need all versions ?

@thedexmonster

your method doesnt seem to work.

EDIT:

With your method there is no setup.exe

dotNetFx35setup.exe /quiet /norestart , now it works

Edited by sp00f

I'm very sorry to complicate things, but is there any way to get this to self-install without repacking, or at least by repacking with 7zip? I don't have access to WinRAR at this workstation.

There is a 7-Zip tutorial on this forum in regards to creating SFX archives. Please note though that the whole method displayed above is not SVCPACK compatible.

I sincerely want to add some command.

Maybe I'm wrong and in that case 'really' sorry

I'm a systemoperator and I'm asking myself how much we need all these Framewrok versions.

Even on most loaded servers frameworks puts a drop in performance because it have a heavy load on the disks when needed.

In my homesituation I need Framework 2 to use WUD (Windows Update Downloader) and CCC (Catalyst Control Center).

Even at work I never use Framework 3 and only version 2 suits enough or do we face a new trend in sofwaredeveloping? Asking seriously.

Can anybody tell me what special purpose version 3 has in comparation with version 2? Even we talk about version 3.5...

I don't know and I want to know it. That's the reason for this post.

PS: We don't use Office or Microsoft Workshop software like Microsoft's Forefront. We use OpenOffice and our company is highly appreciated with Open Source sollutions. Could this be the reason I never needed version 3?

* Deep integration of Language Integrated Query (LINQ) and data awareness. This new feature will let you write code written in LINQ-enabled languages to filter, enumerate, and create projections of several types of SQL data, collections, XML, and DataSets by using the same syntax.

* ASP.NET AJAX lets you create more efficient, more interactive, and highly-personalized Web experiences that work across all the most popular browsers.

* New Web protocol support for building WCF services including AJAX, JSON, REST, POX, RSS, ATOM, and several new WS-* standards.

* Full tooling support in Visual Studio 2008 for WF, WCF, and WPF, including the new workflow-enabled services technology.

* New classes in .NET Framework 3.5 base class library (BCL) that address many common customer requests.

Suits this for local people or only for large companies?

Edited by Extravert

@thedexmonster

EDIT:

setup.exe is in dotnetfx35setup.exe you need to extract that as well.

If you'll notice the 3rd line, it says "Extract dotNetFx35setup.exe"

I didn't try just running dotNetFx35setup.exe because USSF didn't recognize any switches.

but after I extracted it I still couldn't verify switches, so I should have just ran it like you but I had already extracted it so I kept it like that.

I did try to specify I don't really know what I'm doing I just know the package was cut from 197MB to 85.8MB and still installs.

@thedexmonster

EDIT:

setup.exe is in dotnetfx35setup.exe you need to extract that as well.

If you'll notice the 3rd line, it says "Extract dotNetFx35setup.exe"

I didn't try just running dotNetFx35setup.exe because USSF didn't recognize any switches.

but after I extracted it I still couldn't verify switches, so I should have just ran it like you but I had already extracted it so I kept it like that.

I did try to specify I don't really know what I'm doing I just know the package was cut from 197MB to 85.8MB and still installs.

Try to install Framework 2 and 3 seperately. Then apply the great upgrade. I guess it should be work fine.

I use version 2 with all patches on a Nlited edition and it runs fine. Just seperately installed. I don't have a huge hat for multi-installers.

I'm sorry, but I want to evaluate a possibility to terminate some processes before do a multi-setup?

Do you also recognize a strange behavior when installing Framewrok 2 64-bit?

Some services of Framework 2 claims for a medium time the total CPU consumption áfter a reboot. [This is only once, after the install and after a reboot!]

Now MOM.EXE kicks in his place so I can't trace what service it was, but it uses 160 MB RAM when proceeding and 100% CPU utilization. Yet again, it whas only once.

Does anybody know what it means?

MOM.EXE claims almost zero load on my CPU.

Sorry, I don't know much about Framework and I'm focussed on back-up sollutions. Not a Framework discussion. Though, I really like to read it ;)

Edited by Extravert

Extravert, Microsoft .NET Framework is required by certain applications to properly function. Some applications require Microsoft .NET Framework 1, while others might rely on version 2 or 3 for example. You only need to have that version of Microsoft .NET Framework installed which is required by the software which you use. It might very well be that you have no software installed which relies on Microsoft .NET Framework. If this is the case, there is no need to install Microsoft .NET Framework.

In an office environment I would suggest to only install that version of Microsoft .NET Framework which is required, whereas in a home situation it might be easier to simply have all versions installed so that you'll never be prompted to first install Microsoft .NET Framework before being able to install a certain application.

You can compare Microsoft .NET Framework somewhat to the Java Runtime Environment. If you have applications which rely on the Java Runtime Environment, they won't function if you don't have the Java Runtime Environment installed. The difference between Microsoft .NET Framework and the Java Runtime Environment is that the last one is backwards compatible, which means that you only need to have the latest version installed for any application which relies on the Java Runtime Environment to function, whereas Microsoft .NET Framework is not backwards compatible, which means that applications which rely on Microsoft .NET Framework 1 won't function is you only have version 2 installed for example.

I hope this has cleared things up for you a bit.

I'm going to check on that 7-zip tutorial. Many thanks for the tip.

One other question about this: it's been said that this contains both .Net 2.0 and .Net 3.0 so this one package should do both of them. However, in the past, I've had some trouble getting .Net 2 and 3 to install alongside .Net 1.1 without rebooting or otherwise interrupting a string of installations.

I finally got .Net 1.1 to self-install at T-13 via a batch file called from cmdlines.txt. Will I, assuming the 7-zip repackage goes smoothly (which it should), be able to install this in the same section of my unattended install as .Net 1.1 or will I need to reboot, wait until GuiRunOnce, set it up earlier/later, etc...?

Thank you all so much for this. .Net was the last major thorn in my side in getting this unattended install working. If this works, plays nice with 1.1, and takes care of 2.0 and 3.0, I'll be golden.

You're the best, all of you.

EDIT: Argh, just reread the first post. Seems I do need to reboot after 1.1.

What would be the best way to get this to install as part of an unattended setup?

Edited by CelticWhisper