Not a fan of vista sorry.

A.T.M

They just put too much junk on PC these days

That is exacly what most people disturbs....

We call it "bloatware"

I understand you completely. The Vista folder with SP1 integrated consumes nearly 10 Gigabyte spread about 50.000 files and 10.000 folders. The perfect recipient for a huge job of loading Windows parts or let them superfetch.

Examples:

1. Superfetch is 'really' nice, but if you start a huge game, the superfetcher can start by the beginning when closing the game

2. Windows Vista runs the best on a solid state disk. I've done a test with XP to install it on my USB key and it works, but it is not functional due to the size of my stick (2 GB). But it is fast. Never seen such a blazing bootup.

3. When applying by example 30 updates, the system has a lot of work to do. The same as XP with 90 patches.

4. Servicepack 1 for Vista needs 47 minutes to complete. SP2 for Windows X64 takes not yet 3 minutes! A difference or?

5. When monitoring disk activity in Vista compaired to XP; I see a really huge difference in accessing needs.

Yes, do you need Vista really likes his Aero interface and another beautifull things? Yes! If you have a brandnew system go for Vista. On most older systems Vista is not really an option. Vista is good on it's own, but not for everyone. Vista can only reveal his real power on a soled state disk or on a very fast U320-SCSI disk.

Just my opinion, no offense anyway.

Exacly the path Windows XP has walked

I don't like blinking harddisk led without my activitiy

Vista directly using my machine.What can i do about that?

Harddisk activity? Not a problem after using this tip:

knipsel.PNG

Vista will be neglectable slower and gaming behavior like lagging reduces. It takes care out not to load the cache full with must used data. Once opened Internet Explorer by example it already resides in th ecache. Superfetch or not. Superfetch is not much functional on gaming systems is my experience.

Though, computers are my daily work.

Let me know if you find it usefull ;)

My god!

Who can be a Vista fan ?

It crappiest OS alltime round even Win Millenium were better.

Maybe you're looking through an empty pull after so many?

Can you explain why? Have some arguments of a kind of??

Not a very usefull remark, sorry

Exacly the path Windows XP has walked

I don't like blinking harddisk led without my activitiy

Vista directly using my machine.What can i do about that?

I do believe that's the indexing doing it's thing so it can find "searches" faster. If you disable indexing and windows search you won't see vista using the disk so much. At the same time it may be installing updates or defragging the drive. Why are people so upset about their machine talking to MS? In my experience paranoid people are paranoid because they have something to hide.

Quite a good point. I now run Vista on 3 machines and about to get the fourth, perhaps tomorrow. I have Vista on 2 partitions on every machines for emergencies, just in case, although I work just one. I went thru hell with them since August 15th when my XP lost Internet connection and I installed my first Vista. With that XP DELL support could not resolve the issuse and did what they typically do: change the motherboard. Still there was no connection because it was fine on other partitions.

In retrospect I see that four or five catastrophic crashes I've had since then were of my own doing. When you installed an update you should wait an extra minute or two, or perhaps 10, your screen will come back. I would panic, turn the machine off, curse MS and reinstall Vista. It is just pathetic to realize how tiny the boundary was for me every time between continuing working on an improved system and plunging into failure and every time I took the wrong path.

It took me a while analyzing my own experience, reading posts like these to come up with my final opinion: it is a much superior OS and I wish it well. It is just awesome in terms of how it empowers a user like me. There are so many more options, easier to find them, much richer environment.

I am doing some development in .NET C# and my Vistas are mostly Ultimate or Business.

On my Dell, I don't have much crap... maybe because I've reinstalled windows from scratch :D BTW, I don't feel either way about Vista or XP, both serve me well :)

Edited by zetto

On my Dell, I don't have much crap... maybe because I've reinstalled windows from scratch :D BTW, I don't feel either way about Vista or XP, both serve me well :)

Maybe that's why? Take out the "maybe".

All of the major OEM's install tons of crap. I haven't seen what Dell does recently, but I've seen HP's and Lenovo's, both of which come from the factory with over 100 processes running. My Vista install has 36 processes running, and that's with an instant messenger, IE, and Firefox running. It's faster than any stock laptop I've used with Vista, and it's four years old.

So Vista isn't to blame. It's the OEM. Vista is fast if you're willing to either clean off the OEM's crapware or install Vista from scratch.