Presario C706nr: need help installing xp video, audio, modem drivers

fkkoojngo

Hi I recently purchased a Compaq Presario c706nr and i am unable to work with the crappy vista provided. I want to change the os to windows xp but the hp website only offers quick launch as the only driver listed under xp. The most important drivers are listed under vista. It seems as if I am unable to install vista drivers. Is there anyone that could give me a step by step tutorial to install these drivers. Possibily somone who has successfully installed xp onto the presario c706nr? I would like to know which drivers i should install to have the laptop run successfully. Im assuming I need the chipset, quick launch, wireless lan (broadband), video, audio, and modem, but what about the touchpad? There doesnt seem to be a driver on the hp website for the touchpad. I will be awaiting responses. Thank you.

Installing drivers meant for Windows Vista on Windows XP is not advisory. If you will succeed, it might make your system less stable, your devices might not function properly, et cetera. If I were you, I would simply contact HP and ask them for the appropriate drivers instead of asking here.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

No sure if you figured this one out. I have collected all of the drivers except the modem. Can't seem to find that one yet.

You can get the intel drivers from their website. GM965 is the chipset.

The drivers for the broadcom wlan can be found at http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechS...ode=4&idx=2

The audio is a conexant hd smartaudio hd2. Have XP auto search for the driver in the above mention intel drivers.

It appears that the driver from http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwar...228〈=en will work. You will have to manually pick the drivers. XP will not auto detect, so your millage may vary.

All can say is yea for Vista, MS went and broke a product that was not all that bad. :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

Edited by jinuq

Direct from the HP/Compaq tech support when asked for XP drivers for a 712NR (Very similar laptop)

Here is the link to install Video card driver:

http://downloadmirror.intel.com/13878/a08/win2k_xp1431.exe

Here is the link to install Quick Launch software:

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp35501-36000/sp35977.exe

Here is the link to install Touchpad driver:

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp35001-35500/sp35444.exe

Here is the link to install Network Card driver:

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp30501-31000/sp30580.exe

Here is the link to install wireless card driver:

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp34001-34500/sp34136.exe

Kepler: Here is the link to install Media Card Reader software:

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp33501-34000/sp33604.exe

Here is the link to install chipset driver:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/T8Clearanc...finst_autol.exe

Before installing Audio driver install Microsoft UAA software from the following link:

ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/softpaq/sp32501-33000/sp32646.exe

Kepler: Install the above software and restart the laptop for the changes to take affect. Then install Audio driver from the following link:

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp32501-33000/sp32823.exe

Installing this driver may result in an error. But continue with the following steps to get

the audio driver installed correctly.

1. Click on Start and select Run. Now type devmgmt.msc and press enter.

2. Right click on "Audio device on High Definition Audio Bus" and click Update driver.

3. Select "Install from a list or specific location"

4. Click Next. Then select "Don't search, I will choose the driver to install"

5. Click Next and then select "Sound, video and game controller" from the list.

6. Click Next and then click Have Disk.

7. Click Browse C:\swsetup\sp32823 folder and select the .inf file and click open and Continue with the onscreen instructions.

This should install Audio driver.

Here is the link to install modem driver:

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp33001-33500/sp33442.exe

Installing this driver may result in an error. But continue with the following steps to get

the modem driver installed correctly.

1. Click on Start and select Run. Now type devmgmt.msc and press enter.

2. Right click on "Modem device on High Definition Audio Bus" and click Update driver.

3. Select "Install from a list or specific location"

4. Click Next. Then select "Don't search, I will choose the driver to install"

5. Click Next and then select "Modem" from the list.

6. Click Next and then click Have Disk.

7. Click Browse C:\swsetup\sp33442 folder and select the .inf file and click open and Continue with the onscreen instructions.

This should install the modem driver.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...