top antivirus for 2008

Norton Software=Bloatware

I used their Anti-virus for years without problems. That being said, I worked on a lot of machines that I had to remove it from. I even worked on a friends computer that I couldn't get a brand new copy of Norton installed. It kept saying to run from autorun.exe. POS! Eventually I installed AVG and told her to get her money back. Norton had a fair amount of false positives and the memory footprint was huge compared to others. I personally can't stand Norton Internet Security. Their firewall is atrocious and they bought out the best free personal firewall, Sygate.

I did a review of BitDefender and NOD32 about a year ago, because these were the two favorites.

http://www.pebcac.net/downloads/Documents/AV_Review.pdf

It's a little dated but it's somewhat relevant.

Yes, I agreed.

I've had a hard job to do when removing Norton Internet Security from the labtop of a friend of mine.

I don't use thirt party programa's. I killed it by hand and the machine flies again.

I know that not everbody can do that. You must exactly know what to delete and Norton is not the most friendly software when removing. The labtop will simply hang.

That new labtop came with NIS preinstalled and it is a Intel Celeron, not the fastest CPU on earth.

Just the most pure form of torturing the speed and usability of this brandnew laptop. Compair it to a little car which climbing a mountain up.

Edited by Extravert

Yes, I agreed.

I've had a hard job to do when removing Norton Internet Security from the labtop of a friend of mine.

I don't use thirt party programa's. I killed it by hand and the machine flies again.

I know that not everbody can do that. You must exactly know what to delete and Norton is not the most friendly software when removing. The labtop will simply hang.

That new labtop came with NIS preinstalled and it is a Intel Celeron, not the fastest CPU on earth.

Just the most pure form of torturing the speed and usability of this brandnew laptop. Compair it to a little car which climbing a mountain up.

why bother with all that when there is a free removal tool from symantec?

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgen...005033108162039

:)

i dont get it, whats so good about NOD32 except for the proactive system that may end up pointing the wrong alert.

by the av-comparitives results which i rely on NOD32 is not as good as Av's like AVK,KAV,Avira...

Edited by Woomera

since when @ nitro :unsure: i thought once it registers yuh have to get a second one

You need a new licences if you want to install on a different computer, but not if you are just reinstalling Windows on the same computer.

@Woomera - check av-comparatives and you also see that NOD32 has low false positive rates.

In addition to its heuristics, some things I like about NOD32 is that it is light and scans fast.

Edited by anonymous_user

One of my student worker came in last week and asked me if i'd heard about the 'outbreak' at the vo-tech he goes to. (I dunno how i would have but i was nice and just said no)

he goes on to tell me that the vo-tech has a lot of computers that cant get on the net because of some bloodhound virus and their admin has turned off the 'net to the rest until he can figure it out.

as it turns out they are using norton and some software called cybersitter and well ill let the guy shouting about fire and brimstone in the yahoo article explain it to you:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/zd/20071206/tc_zd/...IH4xoZL18wjtBAF

Ok its not really that bad but they do drama it up a bit even if they have a valid point.

Edited by geek

Ok its not really that bad but they do drama it up a bit even if they have a valid point

****, you guys really out againt norton, i wonder why it is that i dont ever get any problems with all the versions i use so far :unsure:

Edited by D_block

its because norton is so badly written it would seem that the developers of the program think nowadays "cpu cycles are inexpensive and memory is plentiful so lets write bloated code and try and get away with it, no will notice"

sure a home/novice user wont notice, they would think "antivirus is a good program, it wouldnt slow my pc would it?"

but an expert user knows differently.