top antivirus for 2008

NOD32 is great but expensive[...]

May I disagree? I paid for a 1-year licence 12USD + VAT ;) And about BitDefender... Did you notice its memory footprint? Bigfoot is a kiddie in comparison :lol:

WOW, i thought it was £30 over here, il have to check again cos i really love it. But bitdefender? i mentioned Avira antivirus which is seriously a great product, is Avira part of bitdefender or something? or have i got the wrong end of the stick?

I don't know where the OP source got their info from but a useful info place is Virus Bulletin - you can check their results monthly and see how companies have scored in their history. I use NOD32 personally. ESET has consistently scored 100% detection of VBN tests for a long time now.

Edited by heffalump

[...]But bitdefender? i mentioned Avira antivirus which is seriously a great product, is Avira part of bitdefender or something? or have i got the wrong end of the stick?

Avira is NOT part of BitDefender. BitDefender is written by a romanian-based company (Softwin IIRC). So yeah, you got the wrong end of the stick :P

NOD32 is great but expensive[...]

May I disagree? I paid for a 1-year licence 12USD + VAT ;) And about BitDefender... Did you notice its memory footprint? Bigfoot is a kiddie in comparison :lol:

WOW, i thought it was £30 over here, il have to check again cos i really love it. But bitdefender? i mentioned Avira antivirus which is seriously a great product, is Avira part of bitdefender or something? or have i got the wrong end of the stick?

Yeh, NOD32 is rather cheap. Cost me £27 for the inital buy (last year), then just £15 for my re-newal (1 year single user)

well i must admit due the fact that most times my pc's os life doesnt extend pass 3 months ive been using a lot a 3 months antivirus. cause im not goin to pay for a single user antivirus every 3 months :unsure:

lol

well i must admit due the fact that most times my pc's os life doesnt extend pass 3 months ive been using a lot a 3 months antivirus. cause im not goin to pay for a single user antivirus every 3 months :unsure:

lol

You don't need to buy a licence every time you reinstall your OS ;)

I'm going out on a limb by defending Norton Antivirus (I'm using Norton Internet Security 2007), but I only want to say - the best AV is what you feel comfortable with. I used to have Comodo AV and Firewall and I got infected with a virus that infected ctfmon.exe and a virus called copy.exe. I was not able to remove this virus with Comodo. Got rid of it with Norton, however.

From experience, I haven't had a problem with viruses with NIS 2007 (and long ago, I never had a problem with NIS 2005).

As far as resources go, may be Norton may slow down your system (I'm not sure if it's slowing down mine or not - it's fast enough that I'm not noticing a great difference), but it's okay.

Basically, you can read and read and read all the reviews and there is NO, NO perfect one out there. You just have to say, okay this one will do for me. At some point, you just have to say, "This is what I've decided and I'm not letting others' opinions influence my choice."

@ spacesurfer , i too had NIS2007 and never got a problem with it, wheather virus, spyware or just eating up resourses . my pc was booting in the same time when it was not installed as it is when it was installed .

but it was a 3 months trial, so i changed to NIS 2008 it running sweeet its like 360 and 07 in one and it actaully makes my vista boot faster, if thats even possible.

i for one will stick with norton untill it fails me.

most time to me it seems the resourses that are bein spoken about is the difference between a stick of ram running 667 and 800, its really not visible to the nakd eye :unsure:

Edited by D_block

To be really honest; the best virusscanner are you.

In my situation I've installed AVG professional [paid for] and Windows Defender for just a background sollution. Why?

I'm fascinated by the simplicity of Hijackthis van merijn.org. I know al legal services and I simply don't send them to the ignore list because I match the MD5 sum of the files if they where infected or not. To compaire this 2 times a week with a really small and outmost powerfull application no virus, malware or crimeware can pass through my system. My last infection whas in 2001 (not a joke) and I destroid it succesfully by hand.

I'm worried about local peoples with a simple aknowledgement of the technic behind those crimeware infiltrations. That's also a reason I choose for a 64-bit OS. At this moment Windows X64 is almost immune to all virusses in 32-bit code. All crimeware is 32-bit because you cought the biggest group of 32-bit Windows users who are in overhead. I also use the Opera browser and for telebanking the 64-bit version of IE7 which is tweaked outmost by me.

The top anti-virus sollution is a simple program that won't put a huge load on your system.

AVG 7.5 free: medium sollution, but catch most of the populair virusses.

AVG prof: good configurable anti-virus I use. Here it never dismissed one virus. (offcourse I get sometime a warning, hijackthis it!)

NOD32: Has a medium load on your system but it is very accurate by it's uniek feature; (execute in seperated pages in NOD32 hook) [read: superstealth]

Avast: How dare they to use a name to be 'simple'. It tremendously cripples my system on it's knees. But a note here. You can tweak it so it has a little load ahead.

To understand my opinion: Never consider to disable SFC in the Nlite section! Do you know my goal?

Edited by Extravert

i got a friend who doesnt like norton one bit :realmad: <-- (thats him ) so i was showing him this thread on this site with the listing and he disagreed with it so he used google to look for a next top 10 the funny part is norton was rated #3 , nod32 was number as usual though i cant remember what numer two is :unsure:

the guy didnt say anything again on the matter

Yes, that's completely correct. I'm encountering so many problems with Norton's sollutions and there's nothing wrong with Norton except their software puts a huge load on your system. On a hypermodern system the delays are less than on a some older system.

I guess you're right because many of the homepeople don't use supersystems and a Pentium 4 3000 Presscott by example is still a common CPU.

Therefore I use Hijackthis by my own and AVG without resedent shield. I'm never infected, but I can hardly expect everybody could do that job with Hijackthis.

Why I don't use the resident shield of AVG? It's not an accident by using illegal content but the purpose of my handcheck is to keep my system at outmost performance.

Copying some data between my 2 disks results in a 23 MB/s average with the shield enabled and a roughly 50 MB/s without shield.

I use the discipline to check on period times Hijackthis and I never found somethings unusual. Just a matter of outmost tweaking?

These are some tips what you can do in place of the shield what consumes always a load on your CPU no matter how fast it is.

1. If you use IE6 disable install on demand in advanced options.

2. Disable enable thirt party browser plugins

3. Most people don't need SSDP discovery service, remote registry and secondairy logon even as the distribute tracking client.

4. Enable TCP/IP 4 filtering (possible in Windows X64) you can set in the network properities, seek deep. Found by IP4 properities on the last tab rightunder. A restart is needed.

5. Make a hijackthis log and keep it safe. the next week you make a new log and compairs it with the one before. You can hardly mis an item.

6. Use Opera or another thirt party browser for internetbanking. I use for my banking the 64-bit version of IE7. Not the 32-bit.

7. Wisdom is a prey. Don't download anything you don't need, some dogmatism.

AVG and NOD32 ought to be fast. These are some options.

Edited by Extravert

You can either believe a lot of reviews that get paid off to have their product listed as the top, or you can listen to people with real world experience, etc.

While it is true that Norton 2007 has improved, it hasn't gotten much better from their previous versions. Despite how Norton has tried to improve, I have had to repair things such as SSL, Norton firewall blocking issues when it was disabled, etc. We tried to fix it and then uninstalled Norton to prove it was the source of many issues. After using SymNRT to fully remove Norton, a reboot and everything the user reported as not working worked again. :)