Unreal Tournament 3

Polarman

Picked up Unreal Tournament 3 today. It's been a while since i bought a game. It was time for a new title.

Very nice and great looking game. Visuals are pretty outstanding if you have nice hardware to run it.

It takes a good while to install and it installs Ageia PhysX drivers 7.09.13 at the same time. I used the newer 7.11.13. This thing is needed even if you don't have a PhysX card.

2 things i found funny with UT3:

First thing was the recommended video hardware to run it (on the box). Nvidia 7800 GTX (Ok. This makes sense) or a ATI X1300...

What were these guys thinking... It should be a X1800 maybe a 2600XT in a pinch for the recommended hardware.

Second funny thing is if you have Vista, UT3 will show a "Early Childhood" ESRB rating with blood, gore and violence in the game explorer.

I run it on a 7900GTX and I have all details on full (Except the vertical Sync thing) That seems to decrease performance and doesn't really look any different.

Graphics are ok but I wouldn't say they are Breathtaking after seeing other titles around lately.

But the beauty about Unreal is not the graphics but the high octane addrenilin action...

UT3 doesn't seem as polished as it's older brother UT2004

UT3 doesn't seem as polished as it's older brother UT2004

I have to disagree. I think UT3 is way better than 2004. I do think they need to remove the consolish menus and that god awful server browser and replace it with something different.

I give it an A-.

I think taking out the dodge double jump and the adrenaline feature was a bit of a disappointment. I can understand newbies to the game not liking those features but for others who have been playing for years it made the game so fast paced and fun. in UT3 I'm finding myself trying to dodge double jump .. It's quite annoying.

Sniper rifle = as awesome as it ever was.

Translocator = Still available in every mode except VCTF where it has been replaced by the hoverboard.

i think the server browseer sucks too. they could leave that one in for the 12 people out there that like it and just add an 'advanced mode' server browser for everyone else

and the bots are actually a lot smarter than 2k4 or 99 (still easy to kill but they follow orders better)