Server 2008 Drivers

hoak

Does anyone know anything about the planned driver support in Server 2008; i.e. will it use Vista drivers, XP, Server 2003 drivers, or have some bastard version specific driver mutato-poo like Server 2003 all it's own that requires drivers (and installers) compiled specifically for Server 2008?

:blink:

i am sure for drivers to be signed they will have to be written to a standard for 2008, not saying that drivers designed for 2003, XP or Vista won't work, just that they won't be signed and probably won't offer you the reliability and preformance that you would want for a Server.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Does anyone know anything about the planned driver support in Server 2008; i.e. will it use Vista drivers, XP, Server 2003 drivers, or have some bastard version specific driver mutato-poo like Server 2003 all it's own that requires drivers (and installers) compiled specifically for Server 2008?

:blink:

Hi,

Here is how it all works out according to MS:

Vista and 2008 and binary comptaible, beginning with SP1 for VISTA/2008. Meaning, since they r build from the same binary branch, they will accept the same drivers. They will not accept XP/2003 drivers. However, there is a big diffrence when it comes to x86 and x64 device drivers. Windows 2008 and vista x64 will ONLY accept WHQL signed device drivers. Then again, I have already seen issues with drivers, for 2008 that is not working on the Vista PE, so I guess it is another MS universal truth...

Edited by Br4tt3