Overclock CPU

Legolash2o

Hi, recently i've been working on my older computer, upgrading it etc and was wondering how to overclock and AMD 3600 X2 S939 CPU on an K8N Neo4 Platinum Mobo. Also whats the highest temp the AMD 3600 can cope with? Thanks in advance

Liam

OK you will have an option in bios or a program on the mobo disk to enable overclocking IF NOT then you can't do with that mobo.

IF YES then take it up a bit at a time. A google search will give you the basic hieghts most peeps have reached with that cpu but remember to go slowly AND to run a stress test each time (Like Prime95)

To help you on your way, start with this:

• - Set memory speed as low as possible
  • - Set HT speed to 3x, it’s now on 5x
  • - Voltage a bit higher of the CPU, let say 0.1Volt
  • - Backup data that you can’t afford to loose!

Now download Clockgen and start to raise the bus speed in steps of 100MHz.

Remember the settings you are using, so you have a value when the computer crashes. If the computer crashes you know you have hit the limit with that CPU and it’s voltage. By setting the voltage higher you can achieve most properly a higher OC but can DAMAGE your CPU, so you have been warned!

This is just the first steps of overclocking, we will help you out more when you have played with it ;).

Test it like Kelsenellenelvian told you...

By the way, that must be a 3800+ CPU.

yep the mobo is very overclockable, ClockGen wont work (forgot to mention Vista Ultimate x64 SP1 RC), i did manage to overclock it before with my AMD 3000+ but i think i need a more powerful PSU for it (Currently 500W). Oh and my heatsink n fan for it is "Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro Heatsink & Fan"

Edited by legolash2o

Your PSU is plenty powerful for overclocking that CPU. I'm guessing that you're not running dual SLI setup with 10 hard drives and all that other crap. If that's the case, then my guess is that the system you're running is drawing less than 200W at the moment.

• 2 weeks later...

You have to remember by playing with the front side bus you are affecting all the other components on the motherboard. It you see a FSB lock option in your BIOS see if you can lock it in a 33.3 KHz ( I think that's the setting). Your processor may be able to handle the overclocking however other components may fail due to the higher FSB speeds. In my experience the memory is the first to be affected and is the usual cause why the PC won't boot. If you've got any type of value ram in your system you won't be able to do a whole lot of overclocking.