Split net connection to PC and router

I recently acquired a server that I'd like to set up in my basement to serve files and act as a drop point for various files off the internet. I have everything set up on the server, I just need help with the cabling part of it. Sad thing is I'm getting my Cisco Networking Certification soon and still need help with this. I've got a CAT5 cable coming into the basement and going up to the ground floor into a router, the router then splits that to 2 wired and 2 wireless pcs throughout the house, my question is, can i splice that cable into a switch in the basement, run one cable to my server, and the other back into the WAN port on the router or will that cause issues? Moving the router is unfortunately not an option, as I have Verizon FiOS TV and the router also has a coax cable plugged into it, there's no easy way to plug that coax in down in the basement. Also, the server has two gigabit Ethernet ports on it, so if I can just run into one, out of the other and skip the switch altogether it would be even better. Thanks in advance, this seemed very simple in theory but I don't want to get stuck with equipment I can't use.

Sure, here's what I've got planned, looks like it should work too:

6phfk38.jpg

(Blue line is floor divider, can't move router as it has a coax input as well, not shown, its also not a Linksys)

As I said before, would there be a problem going from the internet to that switch, then to a WAN port on the router, thats really the question at hand I guess.

ok, so since your server has 2 ethernet ports you can run it all of off there. what OS is installed on it?

but that will require alot of configuration. the switch should work. so it all depends on if you want to spend money on a switch.

Edited by ripken204

ripken, thanks for the quick answers, I'm running Server 2003 on it currently, debating if I should just move to Server 2008 RC0. I don't mind spending for the switch as long as it will work, however am I correct in assuming that if I run everything through the server I can set up a firewall on it somehow to protect the whole network?

server 2003 has a built in firewall but its not ideal, maybe replace it with another one such as comodo.

the setup itself is not ideal either, really in this sort of situation, providing the server is of adequate spec you should have 2 nics in it and run ISA firewall on it. Then the server is acting as a router too.

im not saying do it this way, just a thought :)

These are the rough specs: 2xXeon 2.2GHz Dual Core, 2Gb DDR RAM, ATI RageXL Graphics, 36Gb IBM SCSI 10k HDD, Broadcom Gigabit Ethernet NIC, Intel 10/100Mbps NIC, Dual 400Watt PSUs, DVD-ROM drive, Floppy Drive

So yes, it has 2 NICs, but the big issue I have with setting up firewalls and such on it is that the router is used by several cable boxes to get the TV program listings, I apologize for not stating that in the beginning. I hadn't looked into ISA much, I was thinking ZoneAlarm or Comodo, as you suggested.

Oh, wait, sorry, just reread your post, I can't actually use this box as a router, Verizon has all kinds of proprietary stuff running off of their wireless one. That was part of the reason I went to the switch idea first, but if I could do some kind of pass through, that could work as well. I just can't block certain traffic through it since I don't know what I'm blocking half the time.

Also, I want to clarify my wording, I keep saying server, I should be saying PC-acting-as-a-file-server, I'd imagine that changes things somewhat, again, sorry for the confusion.

Edited by wintertiger

Verizon's DSL is pretty straight forward, but since you have FiOS, their router has way more built into it like you said. It's probably best just leave that alone. You'll need their device to act as a modem anyway, so you can't get rid of it.

If the cat 5 goes from the basement up to the router, you'll have to run another cable back down from the modem/router to your "pc-acting-as-a-server" to get that device connected to your network.

If the cat 5 goes from the basement up to the router, you'll have to run another cable back down from the modem/router to your "pc-acting-as-a-server" to get that device connected to your network.

Yeah, thats what I was afraid of, thanks for confirming it at least. Guess I'll start the planning and figure out how to deal with the mess later. Had to run a cable once before, but that was before the basement had been finished...

so this is a file server? and it's only 36GB? i just find that kind of odd, lol.

Yeah, I have a pair of these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16822148284 and a SCSI PCI-X Raid card coming from some place that salvages old business computers. Both drives and the RAID card for $275 shipped. I also happen to know the guy in charge, so thats really the only reason he considered selling to me, usually they just sell right back to other businesses...

wow that will be awesome! you gotta hook me up with some of those ;)

Haha, yeah, I'll drop you a line if he gets any more, but they seem just a little rare these days, check ebay too, some good deals can be had occasionally. Got my 36gb for $20, working pull from an IBM server.