Unofficial MSE 5.7 mess up with Hta Applications

:} After installing Unofficial MSE 5.7 (see quote box below), HTA applications always return errors such as "MySubXyz" Undefined or become irresponding.

VBS scripts seem to work properly.

I think it's a registry issue because restoring related files (or those I thought were related - about a dozen) didn't solve the problem. The problem was solved only after restoring old files and restoring the registry to a prior day.

:} Second problem:

The uninstaller, used from the Control Panel's "Install/Uninstall Program" interface, returned an error: "C:\Windows\System\wshcon.dll" was not installed or is corrupted. And in fact the file wshcon.dll didn't exist at this time.

Uninstalling MSE 5.7 didn't solve the problem.

Reinstalling WSH 5.6 didn't solve the problem neither.

I restored the file with the help of my Installed File Checker (which is a HTA application but...HOO!Hah!.. :w00t: the core VBS script that it uses can work without the HTA!) and the files saved with my Installed File BackUp utility.

But as I said, only after I restored the registry, the problem was fixed.

My system is w98se uSP3.0 Beta2 + various updates.

Installation of MSE 5.7 was done normaly according to instructions (reboot).

Here is the update in question:

SCR579X.EXE

MSE 5.7:

http://www.mdgx.com/add.htm#MSE

Removed version check for MSE 5.6.

Replaced WSHOM.OCX with 5.6.0.8832 from Win2003 SP2.

Fixed registry values for CSCRIPT.EXE + WSCRIPT.EXE which install in %windir%\SYSTEM :

* Unofficial Windows 98/98 SP1/98 SE/ME Scripting Engines (MSE) 5.7 include: VBScript (VBS) 5.7, JScript (JS) 5.7, Windows Script Components (WSC), Windows Script Host (WSH) 5.7 + Windows Script Runtime (WSR) 5.7:

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms950396.aspx

Unofficial MSE 5.7 5.7.0.16535 for Windows 98/98 SP1/98 SE/ME [711 KB]:

http://www.mdgx.com/files/SCR579X.EXE

MSE 5.7 requires MS IE 6.0 SP1 or newer already installed:

http://www.mdgx.com/toy.htm#IEX

Edited by Fredledingue

Yeah that installer appears to be a total mess (no files were updated on reboot) but files themselves are good apparently.

Worst part of the installer (which fortunately did not work) :

WININIT.INI,Rename,,"DIRNUL=%31%\_RESTORE\TEMP"

And :

WININIT.INI,Rename,,"NUL=%10%\WININIT.LOG"

This one did work and deleted my wininit.log

Why are you doing this MDGX ? It is murder almost.

You seek to delete the folder in which on Win ME, all files replaced on reboot by wininit are backed up and in addition you also delete the the wininit log file whichs logs all changes that have ever been made by wininit leaving the user no clue whatsoever as to what changes have been made on reboot on his system prior to running this installer.

What is the rationale behind that ?

@Fredledingue : You can probably fix it all by copying all relevant files to the sys dir and regsvr32 them. I also experienced issues with parts of scripts (css and jscript or vbscript) in html or hta after installing it and this fixed them.

Edited by eidenk

I should have made more noise about this ... the above update in question is the first hotfix from MDGx i decided not to touch whatsoever. I tried it out, it broke something, i ditched it. All in the space of about 1 hour. For me it was breaking the method to determine the Program Files folder on a Win98 machine ... the code used vb script.

MDGx is human after all. Whew!

For me it was breaking the method to determine the Program Files folder on a Win98 machine ... the code used vb script

There is no way to determine the Program Files folder on W98 with VB script. It seems there is no record of the Program Files location on a w98 system.

@Fredledingue : You can probably fix it all by copying all relevant files to the sys dir and regsvr32 them. I also experienced issues with parts of scripts (css and jscript or vbscript) in html or hta after installing it and this fixed them.

That's basicaly what I did. Instead of re-registering each dll, I restored a back up of the registry, which had the same effect.

There is no way to determine the Program Files folder on W98 with VB script. It seems there is no record of the Program Files location on a w98 system.

Program Files Folder Locator for Windows 98 :thumbup

Quick and dirty hta/vbs copy/paste hack retrieving program files folder path from the registry. There is another method using CSIDL I think but I could not get my head around it.

Let me know if it does not work on your system.

Edited by eidenk

Oh, thanks! I'v been looking for it for ages. For Win Xp there is another method but that doesn't work on w98. And no one talks about w98 methods.

CSIDL are way too complicated. I never had anything working with it.

Edited by Fredledingue

I witness this problem myself Fredledingue so i installed SCR569X

which fix the problem for me.

Also note to MDGx

I have 2 version of WSCRIPT.EXE

no need for both so one can be deleted but i'm not sure which 1

both files work ok

5.7.0.16535 C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM

5.6.0.8832 C:\WINDOWS

I should have made more noise about this ... the above update in question is the first hotfix from MDGx i decided not to touch whatsoever. I tried it out, it broke something, i ditched it. All in the space of about 1 hour. For me it was breaking the method to determine the Program Files folder on a Win98 machine ... the code used vb script.

MDGx is human after all. Whew!

oh come on guys, give MDGx a break. we didn't know the MSE 5.7 files didn't quite work out right under Win98/ME; we tried out the MSE 5.7 files under Win98/ME but was not tested thoroughly enough to determine if they work properly. should we tell him to remove the unofficial MSE 5.7 patch for Win98/ME from his site?

Note to PROBLEMCHYLD: delete the WSCRIPT.EXE file from \WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ folder. Keep the one stored in the \WINDOWS\ folder.

The uninstaller, used from the Control Panel's "Install/Uninstall Program" interface, returned an error: "C:\Windows\System\wshcon.dll" was not installed or is corrupted. And in fact the file wshcon.dll didn't exist at this time.

Uninstalling MSE 5.7 didn't solve the problem.

wshcon.dll was for NT-based OSes only such as WinNT4/2000/XP/2003/Vista, Fredledingue. This file does not work under Win9x/ME.

I think it's best to revert back to using MSE 5.6 (and ditch MSE 5.7) since that worked great under Win98 & ME.

Edited by erpdude8

oh come on guys, give MDGx a break. we didn't know the MSE 5.7 files didn't quite work out right under Win98/ME; we tried out the MSE 5.7 files under Win98/ME but was not tested thoroughly enough to determine if they work properly. should we tell him to remove the unofficial MSE 5.7 patch for Win98/ME from his site?

I think it's best to revert back to using MSE 5.6 (and ditch MSE 5.7) since that worked great under Win98 & ME.

Where did you get that the 5.7 files did not work, erpdude ?

FYI, the issues at hand are as follows :

1) The installer is a mess and does not install the 5.7 files properly or at all. Not a big deal as this can easily be fixed. Label : Buggy.

2) The installer deletes or attempts to delete quasi system files and folders (log file and backup folder that predate this installer and contain all the delete/replace on reboot history of the computer). This IS a big deal as what goes away cannot be recovered or only with great difficulty eventually (with specialized data recovery tools). Label : Malware.

Please note that I am judging this installer on its own merits solely. I am not accusing MDGx of missdeed with regards to point 2 but as the deleting of this file and folder is an addition to the installer inf code, it is not a bug. There is a rationale behind it and I am curious to know what it is.

3) As already stated, the 5.7 files themselves seem to work correctly here so far. (Maybe even better than the 5.6 ones with some scripts as it would seem to me). In addition, as those 5.7 files are likely to include a number of security fixes (just my guess but you'll tell me if I am wrong about that) they should be considered a MUST.

I can't undestand how/why such an hardcore unnoficial update maker like you are, appear to seek to force the ditching of the whole update on the basis of problems with the installer alone. :wacko:

But maybe you just did not read the few posts in this thread properly...

We are all humans after all...

Regards.

Guys,

I have removed completely the uninstall/backup/restore feature from all MSE 5.6 + MSE 5.7 installers, that is what was causing the "mess". It simply didn't work. :(

Now you can install either MSE 5.6 or MSE 5.7, and if one doesn't work, install the other over.

That's it.

- Unofficial MSE 5.7 5.7.0.16535 for Windows 98/98 SP1/98 SE/ME [710 KB]:

- Unofficial MSE 5.6 5.6.0.8832 for Windows 98/98 SP1/98 SE/ME [675 KB]:

http://www.mdgx.com/files/SCR569X.EXE

I'm aware of problems with MSE 5.7, but I could not reproduce any on my computer [Win98 SE English + all updates].

The "Program Files" detection HTA script [PFFL.HTA from PFFL.ZIP] works ok on my PC with MSE 5.7 installed.

Until someone can post here what is wrong with MSE 5.7 and how to fix it, MSE 5.7 is in experimental stage.

This is clearly stated whenever some1 installs MSE 5.7 = the small text file you see right before install starts.

Eidenk:

This happens only if using WinME:

WININIT.LOG and these [backup] folders + same files installed by the unofficial exe installer must be deleted [if they exist] whenever you install any unofficial WinME update, otherwise WinME System Restore (SR) will not allow the install:

%windir%\WININIT.LOG = file

%windir%\SYSBCKUP = file(s)

%windir%\DLLCACHE = file(s)

%windir%\SFP\ARCHIVE = file(s)

C:\_RESTORE\TEMP = folder

If you have a better solution, please let me know.

Until some1 finds a better solution, all unofficial WinME patches/fixes/updates will be built like this, otherwise they cannot install if SR is enabled.

You can also do this manually, steps by step, before installing an unofficial update:

Disable + then reenable SR:

1. If using Windows ME you MUST disable System Restore: open Control Panel -> System -> Performance tab -> File System -> Troubleshooting area -> check the "Disable System Restore" box -> click OK -> reboot.

2. Download + install CoolKill [797 KB, freeware]:

http://www.prowebsitemanagement.com/downloads/coolkill.zip

3. Run COOLKILL.EXE -> right-click on the CoolKill icon in Taskbar Tray -> highlight STMGR.EXE -> left-click on it to terminate this process.

4. Run a *modified* Windows ME exe installer without those INF directives, so those files/dirs won't be deleted during install [eventually PM me and I'll compile a custom one for you, if you wish] -> reboot.

5. To reenable System Restore: open Control Panel -> System -> Performance tab -> File System -> Troubleshooting area -> uncheck the "Disable System Restore" box -> click OK -> reboot.

HTH

Guys,

Good news...

Fixed *all* problems with both SCR569X.EXE [unofficial MSE 5.6] + SCR579X.EXE [unofficial MSE 5.7].

Everything works now 100%. ;)

Please re-install the one you like.

No more errors that I'm aware of.

I personally recommend MSE 5.7, because some web sites are moving on to support exclusively MSE 5.7 [talk about universal internet standards :(], which is installed by Windows Vi$ta.

- Unofficial MSE 5.7 5.7.0.16535 for Windows 98/98 SP1/98 SE/ME [710 KB]:

- Unofficial MSE 5.6 5.6.0.8832 for Windows 98/98 SP1/98 SE/ME [675 KB]:

http://www.mdgx.com/files/SCR569X.EXE

Uninstall/restore function not necessary anymore, everything works now as expected.

If you don't like one, re-install the other.

Please post here any problems you might encounter with Unofficial MSE 5.6 or 5.7.

P.S.:

Please ignore %windir%\SYSTEM\WSHCON.DLL , which installs as part of Unofficial MSE 5.7 [sCR579X.EXE].

Works only with NTx OSes [2000/XP/2003/Vi$ta], but certain applications expect to find it in the same directory as all other MSE 5.7 files.

HTH

Eidenk:

This happens only if using WinME:

WININIT.LOG and these [backup] folders + same files installed by the unofficial exe installer must be deleted [if they exist] whenever you install any unofficial WinME update, otherwise WinME System Restore (SR) will not allow the install:

%windir%\WININIT.LOG = file

%windir%\SYSBCKUP = file(s)

%windir%\DLLCACHE = file(s)

%windir%\SFP\ARCHIVE = file(s)

C:\_RESTORE\TEMP = folder

If you have a better solution, please let me know.

Until some1 finds a better solution, all unofficial WinME patches/fixes/updates will be built like this, otherwise they cannot install if SR is enabled.

Thanks for the headup. As you have guessed I am using Windows without any of the System Restore/SFP stuff since so long that I forgot how it worked with files replaced on reboot on systems on which it is enabled.

As the delete feature is rather undesirable on such a system I have spent an entire day with a virtual machine to see if there could be another solution, satisfying both systems.

Due to the fact that wininit.log is processed by SFP almost immediately after wininit has finished with it I don't think there is any other solution than the one you have devised.

Besides maybe making installers including digitally signed catalog files and use the same mechanisms of install as MS does :

http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms537364.aspx

http://ftp.intron.ac/pub/security/raw/codesigningx86.exe

Maybe not worth the effort though but those signing tools are nevertheless quite interesting and appear at first sight quite easy to use.

PS : I am not sure the DELLNULL command for deleting the _RESTORE\TEMP folder does anything as the folder does not get deleted here (both on my real system and in the virtual machine). In the virtual machine with system restore and SFP enabled, the original files that have been replaced before reboot are in there but SFP does not restore them. It seems to only do it if it is triggered by finding at least one protected file entry in the wininit.log.

• 2 weeks later...
SCR579X.EXE still doesn't work when i install i don't get this box

but didn't get the script error message i got nothing at all

Please download SCR579X.EXE again, and try it one more time on your PC, it might work now [710 KB]:

Thanks.

I have never seen any errors with either MSE 5.6 or 5.7, but my system is not standard, "out-of-the-box" anymore.

HTH