XP installation hangs with 9 min left: "Saving settings"

kingharrie

Hi,

Today I started playing with nlite because a need a very small XP version I can install on my thinclient. I have build several different iso's with nlite but all of them halt during the installation. I have tried manual selecting stuf to be left out of the installation, I have tried not selecting stuf to be left out, I tried builing an iso on a preset I downloaded from internet.

All with the ame result, it stops installing near the end of the installation process. Above the progressbar it says "instellingen opslaan..." ghehe its dutch, translated it means "Saving settings..." it appears right after something with writing to the registry. It says the estimated time left is 9 minutes.

The screen on the right keeps changing to a different text so it is not completely frozen...

Does anybody have an idea for me of what to do next?

Thnx for the reply guys :-)

Yes I have used the latest version, 1.4 final.

Since I was looking to realy strip XP i did not install any xp updates in nlite, the only one i did choose to install was Remote Desktop 6. I plan on running this xp version on a thinclient.

I will try installing more windows updates, see if that helps, or I can try building it on my laptop for instances. I'll keep you informed, if you think of anything else, please let me know...

hi i had the same problem and still have it. the problem comes from unattendet part. i made like a gzilion iso images of windows step by step to see if i remove something that should not. so. i remove all i need and still works but when i start playing with unattendet mode all comes down. maybe i'm doing something wrong. i get two problems one is that i get thru that part booting from bios to dos part files are louded then it says setup starting windows and it wont move from that second problem is the same as yours 9 min saving settings and the end. try to reset and nothing. when i make windows iso without unattendet mode it works.

any clue

sorry for bad english. :blushing:

I have encountered this problem too. I'm going to try to recreate it and update this post if it happens again (I'll add my config file) just testing a HFSLIP+nLite install at the moment...

UPDATE: well this is what I did. Fresh copy of my XP Pro SP2 CD as the source. Selected nothing in nLite except some unattended settings (CD key, language, no IIS) and this worked fine and did not freeze. Not sure what could be the problem, I'll look some more later.

Edited by heffalump

Ok I have the 9 minute "Saving Settings" problem again. Here's what I did

Source files from clean XP Pro SP2 CD. Downloaded various hotfixes as listed in the_guy's list (minus some media player ones but it happened with those in before anyway). One addon I created which is for a silent switchless WMP10 install.

Attached is my settings file. I removed a couple of things (not too many) and applied some tweaks. All done with nLite, fresh install. For the Unattended part I filled in the CD Key and put "WORKGROUP" for the workgroup (minus quotes) and selected UK keyboard/manual UK regional settings. GMT/london time zone. Nothing else was changed.

Can someone look into this please?

LAST_SESSION.INI

Edited by heffalump

For example one candidate could be if you remove WMP and install newer on install. To debug this try keeping all WMP version in the Windows if you think on upgrading it.

Then another was if DTC is removed and COM+ kept.