creating Vista Ultimate boot dvd (solved)

bookie32

Hi to everyone here at msfn! I am new in town and even newer to working with windows at the command level!

I have promissed my girlfriend that I will fix her computer - which I am sure I can with your help!

I have been using Linux for some time and am quite familiar with working from the command line in Linux. My girlfriends computer keeps crashing and and she appears to have lost her Vista Ultimate DVD, so I can't even do a reinstall for her!!

I had had the sense to create a second partition on her computer - where I copied the contents of her Vista Ultimate!! So I have the files to recreate the boot dvd!

The other little problem is that her dvd burner is on the blink, so I need to create a bootable iso and transfer it to my computer and burn it under Linux.

The files are at present in a directory called Vista on her second partition which is designated with the letter E.

Can anyone lead me through the process of creating the iso image which I can burn with nero or K3b in Linux.

Sorry to start a new thread, just wanted to get this sorted out as soon as possible - she is driving me crazy!!

Thanks for listening!

bookie32

Edited by bookie32

Hi etso, thanks for the tip but it didn't work! Tried both versions, burned several different copies but had the same fault on booting from dvd:

Status 0x000000f

The boot section failed because required device is unaccessible

Tried the different versions on different computers - had same result!1

Thanks for trying.

bookie32

Run this cmd

"%PROGRAMFILES%\Windows AIK\Tools\PETools\oscdimg.exe" /b"%PROGRAMFILES%\Windows AIK\Tools\PETools\x86\boot\etfsboot.com" /h /lLRMCFRE_EN_DVD /o /u2 C:\LRMCFRE_EN_DVD C:\Image.iso

if you have WAIK or replace oscdimg.exe with CDIMAGE.EXE and use the etfsboot.com from your vistaDVDx86\boot\ folder

For more look here

Edited by Mercury_22

Hi Mercury_22, I appreciate you stopping by!! Sorry to say I can't really follow your instructions?

I haven't installed WAIK but I can! About running the code, how will that help. I do work from the command line with Linux but not at a very high level - still learning!

Like I said - my girlfriend's computer is playing up and it definitely calls for the easy route of doing a reinstall. I have a copy of Vista's files on her computer and on my Linux. I thought it would be a case of using nero and making a bootable iso that way! Unfortunately, nero complains about the size?

I don't mind following your advice if you could explain in a little more detail what I should do.

Please don't give up on me - just need it in black and white and id*** proof ( me being the id*** of course).

bookie32

OK ! but just to be clear please tell me:

1 - on which OS / computer are you planning to create and burn the ISO file ? linux or windows?

2 - when you're saying "Vista's files" you mean the files from vista's dvd or the files from C:\ drive of your girlfriend's computer ?

Edited by Mercury_22

Hi Mercury_22, I owe you an apology!! I missed your second post! I saw what jaws75 had written but not yours?!

I do, however, appreciate you taking the time to help me!

OK when my girlfriend got Vista Ultimate I was worried about how careless she is, so I put her original disk in the cd rom drive and copied the contents to the second partition E and just saved them in a directory called Vista. I can create the bootable .iso on Linux or Vista. I have the same copy on my linux computer.

I have found the info on creating a bootable Windows DVD .iso or UDF on Linux to be a bit over complicated!

My girlfriend's computer has some sort of bug which is causing all sorts of problems. I suspect spyware! To top it all there came a blue up a blue screen!

I have managed to save all her important files and thought a clean install would be the best bet!

I can copy the Vista directory to the C drive if necessary. Just want to get this done before Vista gives up on me!

I would really like to create a bootable Vista Ultimate from the copy I have!

I could have copied the Vista Ultimate in the beginning with MagicIso directly from the DVD keeping it as a bootable DVD!! Didn't know about such programs as MagicIso, so I just did a normal copy!!

Can't burn the bootable image on the Windows computer (dvd burner on the blink), but can transfer to my Linux computer through my home networkand burn it form Linux.

Ok! So you're gone do this on your girlfriend computer where as i understend you have installed WAIK and all the files from vista's DVD it's on E:\ Vista ! Right :huh: ? Also, it's vista x86 ?

Well if all of above are correct then all you have to do it's to copy the code below to notepad and then save that notepad as Vista.bat anywhere you like and execute it ! B)

"%PROGRAMFILES%\Windows AIK\Tools\PETools\oscdimg.exe" /b"%PROGRAMFILES%\Windows AIK\Tools\PETools\x86\boot\etfsboot.com" /h /lLRMCFRE_EN_DVD /o /u2 E:\Vista C:\Image.iso

Then transfer Image.iso to yor linux and burn it! ;)

Let me know if you succeed !

Edited by Mercury_22

Hi Mercury_22, thanks for getting back to me! Wish I could say problem solved - but as you might have guessed by my tone - nada!

OK! I installed notepad and saved you code as a bat file and called it Vista.bat. I tried to execute it and there was a flash on the screen and - nada!

I then copied the code and ran it my self. The following is a print out of the "run":

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6000]

Copyright © 2006 Microsoft Corporation. Med ensamrätt.

C:\Users\Martyn Page>"%PROGRAMFILES%\Windows AIK\Tools\PETools\oscdimg.exe" /b"

%PROGRAMFILES%\Windows AIK\Tools\PETools\x86\boot\etfsboot.com" /h /lLRMCFRE_EN_

DVD /o /u2 E:\ Vista C:\Image.iso

OSCDIMG 2.45 CD-ROM and DVD-ROM Premastering Utility

Copyright © Microsoft, 1993-2000. All rights reserved.

For Microsoft internal use only.

Scanning source tree (20500 files in 1718 directories)

ERROR: Failure enumerating files in directory "\\?\E:\$RECYCLE.BIN\S-1-5-21-6021

62358-113007714-682003330-1005"

Error 5: Access is denied.

C:\Users\Martyn Page>

I hope that makes sense to you?

Think you should set an example!! Babies shouldn't smoke! It could seriously stunt their development :thumbup

bookie32

It's E:\Vista not E:\ Vista There is no space between E:\ and Vista

Where E:\Vista it's the path to your vista files (I hope :) )

Sorry! It was my fault, when i've modified the code above i've typed a space by mistake :blushing:

Edited by Mercury_22

No problems, we all make mistakes !!

Still getting an error code although a little different now!

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6000]

Copyright © 2006 Microsoft Corporation. Med ensamrätt.

C:\Users\Martyn Page>"%PROGRAMFILES%\Windows AIK\Tools\PETools\oscdimg.exe" /b"

%PROGRAMFILES%\Windows AIK\Tools\PETools\x86\boot\etfsboot.com" /h /lLRMCFRE_EN_

DVD /o /u2 E:\Vista C:\Image.iso

OSCDIMG 2.45 CD-ROM and DVD-ROM Premastering Utility

Copyright © Microsoft, 1993-2000. All rights reserved.

For Microsoft internal use only.

Scanning source tree complete (1882 files in 265 directories)

Computing directory information complete

Image file is 4647944192 bytes (before optimization)

ERROR: Unable to create file "C:\Image.iso" of 4647944192 bytes

Error 5: Access is denied.

C:\Users\Martyn Page>

Just not going our way is it!! :wacko:

Probably not important? I checked the Vista file for size and it was 4 664 107 512, 1882 files, and 264 directories - which doesn't tally with the above?

bookie32