Sysprep and Asus A8V-MX

I got some nut to crack for you.

Lately I have been trying to create a unified Windows XP image.

I have sysprepped Windows xp, added the necessary hdd drivers to sysprep.inf and the PnP drivers to the Registry DevicePath with the utility called "sysprep driver scanner".

The Image is built inside a VMware instance, with 2 CPUs assigned, and sysprep.inf contains the "UpdateUPHAL = ..." entry.

However, deploying the Image to a specific hardware set, the mentioned Asus A8V-MX, leads to a infinite reboot loop. I don't get to see a bit of mini-setup. After the reboot follows the "windows crashed, would you want to start safe-mode, last known good config ... etc" screen. So this tells me, that my image crashed. To be sure I tested the image on a identical machine, same problem. On another machine, mainboard AM39L by FIC, the image successfully boots and runs mini-setup.

Both of these machines are Uniprocessor architecture.

I see one cause of the problem so far, the Asus mainboard uses a VIA chipset, so I tried to integrate the Hyperion driver set from VIA with sysprep. So far I found one post on driverpacks.net forum indicating similar problems.

Maybe someone here has experienced a similar problem with this drivers or can give me another clue where I could check to find the real cause of this problem.

Seems the drivers are not at fault. Even without them, the Asus A8V-MX still crashes. And just to be sure, I checked in the device manager the computer/system type, both machines are ACPI Uniprocessor PCs, and have the hardware id ACPIAPIC_UP.

Any ideas?

some additional info, booting to safemode seems to work, but mini-setup doesnt seem to like that. I get a "Setup cannot run in safemode. Restarting setup" messagebox.

Edited by bj-kaiser

update: Should have disabled the AutoReboot on BSOD "feature" earlier.

Now I get this:

STOP 0x0000007E(0xC000005, 0xF75E2750, 0xF78C942C, 0xF78C9128)

what I found at support.microsoft.com is this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/818966/

which essentially says this problem is fixed in SP2 if I'm not mistaken.

This article (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/891892) is no help, as the BSOD I get doesn't mention a driver file.