NUSB does't like Compaq Presario 5610

bizzybody

Is it possible to remove a bad install of version 3.2 without having to reinstall Windows? I have a Compaq Presario 5610 with the Intel BX chipset and a 400Mhz Pentium II.

I installed 98SE, then Intel chipset drivers from 2001 (one of the last that will actually install drivers in 98SE!), followed by the drivers for audio, Adaptec 1394, DirectX 8.1 and the drivers for the Hercules Kyro AGP videocard.

Then NUSB 3.2 and *boom* it blows up. :(

After installing version 3.2, explorer.exe crashes during boot, even in safe mode.

EXPLORER caused an exception 6d007fH in module

EXPLORER.EXE at 017f:004093e8.

It's always so much *fun* when Explorer shoots itself.

This was the *second* go-round with this blowing up on this PC. The first time I installed NUSB immediately after Windows. I figured the reason it failed was because I hadn't installed the Intel chipset drivers first. This is the only PC I've ever had NUSB cause such trouble on.

I wonder if it's a conflict with the USB controller in the BX chipset, or could it be something with the Adaptec AIC-5800AP 1394 controller on the motherboard?

If you want to ask "Why did you install version 3.2?" it's because I hadn't checked the thread in a while and didn't know version 3.3 was released.

P.S. I booted with a DOS floppy and checked explorer.exe and user.exe have both been replaced with the versions in NUSB.

Hmmm .....

Have you installed IE5.5 or IE6 yet ? ..... The included explorer.exe only works with IE5 and above installed. IE5 +above will install an updated shell32 ... If IE5 +above is not installed, explorer will "blow up" as it has direct link to shell32 ...

Anyway, thank you for the compatibility report ... I repackaged NUSB for W98FE and I seem to have overlooked this issue myself ... I will see how it will affect W98FE in this regard and will make the necessary reconfigurations ...

As for your situation, you'd probably have to extract explorer.exe from your setup CD (or .cab files) and copy it to your \windows folder ... another possibility is to download and extract shell98 update from mdgx ... that should fix the ka-blooey ...

Chipset drivers haven't much role to play with NUSB AFAIK ... BTW, there is only minor changes between nusb3.2 and nusb3.3 that should only be a concern to ALI based mboards ...

Rgds

I wonder why you installed NUSB in the first place. Apparently you have quite an old computer that (probably) only came with a built-in USB 1.1 interface.

The chipset drivers for your machine should support these USB sockets.

And if you have an additional USB2 PCI card it should also come with appropriate USB2 drivers (even for Win98).

There's no need to install third party drivers like NUSB.

(Correct me if I'm wrong)

I wonder why you installed NUSB in the first place. Apparently you have quite an old computer that (probably) only came with a built-in USB 1.1 interface.

The chipset drivers for your machine should support these USB sockets.

And if you have an additional USB2 PCI card it should also come with appropriate USB2 drivers (even for Win98).

There's no need to install third party drivers like NUSB.

(Correct me if I'm wrong)

I have a 440bx based pc(siemens scenic 620) and over win98 and nusb i can use even usb 2.0 based devices that my win2000 partition cannot detect. And i'm using only the two legacy usb ports that comes with my pc.

Hmmm .....

I was wrong in regard to shell32 dependencies ... It will only blow-up on win95 system that I played with (and thats a different story) ... I've tested M-D's nusb32e on win98FE and win98SE fresh installs and noticed that shell32 is indeed correct and no problems encountered. It was a non issue afterall ...

I'm currently running 95b/98fe/98se/Me versions (legit of course) plus some betas and sometimes get myself mixed-up ...

I've re-read the #1st posted thread again and in my haste to make a reply, I overlooked the ieee1394 ... I am guessing that the adaptec ieee1394 is not playing nice here ...

@bizzybody:

Can you please upload the adaptec driver that you're using somewhere (mytempdir or something) ? I have a feeling that the updated 1394bus could be breaking this card ... One way of confirming this is by removing the adaptec card from your system before installing nusb ... BTW, does it look something like this ?

http://www.sfc.wide.ad.jp/~riho-m/diary/98...8940/F1_001.jpg

If the 1394card is the cause, I'd like to see where and why ...

Rgds

The 1394 is on the motherboard and can't be disabled. 98SE comes with drivers it loads- claiming it's a Texas Instruments 1394 controller. Did Adaptec sell this chip design to TI or is 98SE just detecting it incorrectly? It tried to claim the default TI driver was "better" than the Adaptec one- which I dug up on Driverguide. Adaptec has no info on this chip on their site.

NUSB blew it up both with the drivers 98SE loaded and with the Adaptec drivers.

I've attached the Adaptec driver I used for the second go-round.

What I'd like to be able to do is get it working again without having to completely reinstall so I can try NUSB 3.3 and see if that blows it up too.

Does NUSB also include 1394 drivers from WinMe?

adaptec.zip

Hmmm .....

Have you installed IE5.5 or IE6 yet ? ..... The included explorer.exe only works with IE5 and above installed. IE5 +above will install an updated shell32 ... If IE5 +above is not installed, explorer will "blow up" as it has direct link to shell32 ...

I haven't updated anything with IE or other internet stuff since these boxes are only going to be used for playing pre-2000 games for Retro-LAN at Fandemonium 2008. So far I've installed NUSB on two of the others right after Windows and the chipset drivers with no problem. On one the USB was recognized without installing chipset drivers so it got NUSB immediately after Windows, the other one I had to install the chipset drivers first. (I think it's a VIA chipset.)

The idea here is so I can install all the drivers etc off an external USB hard drive instead of burning a CD for each PC.

If the complete Explorer crash message is needed, I could transcribe it all by hand...

If I *have* to install IE6 I will, but since most of them are only going to have 8gig hard drives I'd rather avoid giving all the space to IE that won't be used at all. I'm also going to see if I can get away with DirectX 8.1 instead of 9.0c because some old games just don't play nicely with 9. (I'd rather have been able to stick with 7.x but one of the videocards required a minimum of 8.1.)

Edited by bizzybody

Hmm .....

A few things first:

1. I have confirmed that you do not have to install IE to get nusb working.

2. It seems that the Compaq uses a custom design ieee1394 for their systems with parts from adaptec and TI ... It seems that the design and drivers is specific to compaq only. The generic adaptec5800 driver you're using does not seem to match win98 driver set ...

3. I believe that due to the design of the ieee1394, the built-in support in windows98 is the best solution if you have a need for it.

4. NUSB 1394bus files was not taken from winME. It was the latest qfe update for win98se if I'm not mistaken.

Based on your requirement, I'd suggest that you disable the ieee1394 if its not going to be utilized. Either leave it as a yellow quotation mark or mark it as disabled in the device manager menu. Do this before installing nusb. If you're up to it, you can also remark out all references to iee1394 in the nusb inf update.

If nusb have been installed, you may try booting into safe mode and disable ieee1394 in the device manager.

Rgds

After installing version 3.2, explorer.exe crashes during boot, even in safe mode.

The only access available is from DOS. If there's a way to get it booting again by replacing files with original 98SE versions from DOS, I'd like to know.

Then I'll try disabling 1394 in Device Manager and see if NUSB 3.3 blows it up again. I'll check the BIOS again too to see if 1394 can be disabled there too.

So, how about porting WinMe's 1394 drivers to 98SE?