Quick Launch IE7 Icon

marko2511

Hi all.

I am long time hfslip user. From time when subforum didn't exists and there wasn't this many users.

It was a good journey. Great one. :hello:

Today, i need some help from you. I'am slipstreaming all hotfixes including IE7 into my XP SP2.

After instaling slipstreamed windows there is one annoyance. There is no IE7 icon in Quick Launch.

If i go to "C:\Documents and Settings\hfslip\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch" and

add ".lnk" extension to file "Launch Internet Explorer Browser" everything works fine...

I was searching this forum and found similar and same issues but I don't see no solution. Any help for me?

I am attaching my hfslip.log and small screenshot...

One more thing...

If on installed windows I create new User and log in for first time I can see command prompt for a blink of eye. What with that?

post-63983-1195507695_thumb.jpg

HFSLIP_LOG.zip

This is actually the first time I hear about it and I couldn't find anything on it on the HFSLIP forum (unless you confused your problem with the broken Show Desktop icon). Have you tried editing SOURCESS\I386\ieuinit.in_ after HFSLIP has finished? It contains a string for "Launch Internet Explorer Browser" but I'm not sure Windows uses that file to create the icon.

One more thing...

If on installed windows I create new User and log in for first time I can see command prompt for a blink of eye. What with that?

That's because of WindowsXP-KB925876-x86-ENU.exe. It adds a post-setup command to the global user RunOnce registry key so it's executed the first time a new user signs in.

Ok. I managed to solve this issue.

In my HFSVPACK folder in tweaks.reg file there was lines:

; Show Extended File Extensions (.lnk/.url etc.)
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\lnkfile]
"NeverShowExt"=-

After commenting those lines icon is visible in Quick Launch.

Little OT:

@Tomcat76

Regarding "Silent .NET Maker". As of today there are service packs for .net framework 2 and 3.

links:

Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 1

Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 Service Pack 1

What if you change that setting from a .REG file in the HFGUIRUNONCE subfolder?

Well I didn't try that bat I can tell you this...

If I install windows without that tweak everything is ok.

But, if i apply that tweak under loged user and then create new user and log in as him, icon will be gone(for new user. Old one will be fine...)...

So, that tweak is no advisable in any way. It should not be used.

Still, I have few more question not related to topic problem but it's about registry tweaks.

I would appreciate your thoughts on this.

I want to remove wallpaper for users(or atleast the one windos log on to first) and make background colour black.

For that i use this tweaks:

No Wallpaper
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Desktop\General]
"BackupWallpaper"=""
"Wallpaper"=""

;Black desktop color
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Colors]
"Background"="0 0 0"

But that doesn't work. I tried putting this tweak in HFSVCPACK and HFGUIRUNONCE. Nothing changed. They are not applied...

In my winnt.sif i have

[UserData]
FullName="XP"
ComputerName=COMPUTER

Name "XP" is applied but ComuterName is not. It was before. I see now that there is no "" around COMPUTER. I'll try it immediately...

EDIT

Tried adding "" around COMPUTER in WINNT.SIF. Didn't help... Computer name is still some random letters...

Is there any way to fill in some stuff in post-install wizard? I want "not to register with microsoft", "don't want firewall turned on" and so on..

Thanks...

Edited by marko2511