Please Help! I think this will be an easy question to answer...

c78scorpio

I have been using my computer that has a counterfeit copy of Windows XP on it for about a year now. I got fed up with the annoying pop ups so I bought Windows XP Professional. I went to install it and it said that the copy of Windows that I currently have on my computer is newer than the one I want I to install. It said that I have to delete the Windows XP that I currently have on my computer in order to install the new one. Then it said that I may lose all of my files. Is there any way to avoid losing everything I have saved? What kind of files would I lose if I deleted the counterfeit Windows and installed the new genuine Windows? Pictures? Documents?

Thank you so much in advance your help!

Casey

Bad idea to use the pirated version in the first place. :thumbdown

However, good job getting the legal stuff.

It's always better to do a full, fresh install. So, I would recommend that you back everything up onto some external media - DVDs, an external hard drive, whatever. Then, do a fresh install and restore your files. What version is the illegal OS running?

Oh - you would loose all files and settings. Everything. (If you didn't back it up, that is) That includes any installed programs - office, adobe stuff, anything.

Edited by Idontwantspam

@c78scorpio- You make it sound like you don't have any backups for what you have saved on the computer. So look at it this way: Now is a good time to do a full backup and have a fresh install on your computer.

Also, check out nlite for doing your fresh install. Just be sure to run tests on your nlited install if decide to give it a try.

DL