C&C - Red Alert 2 - LAN Lag fix?

twig123

Hey all,

I've recently started playing C&C Red Alert 2 again. I've been playing with a buddy over the LAN and the lag is pretty bad when a lot starts happening (super weapon, lots of units move or similar). Both systems are MORE than capable of running the game, ex. Athlon 64 3500+, 2GB ram, nVidia 6600 video. Both systems are running XP on over a 10/100 capable switch (systems are set to 100 Full Duplex).

Is there any settings that can be changed/customized with IPX (yes, IPX... I know it is outdated junk but that is what RA2 was coded in for LAN play)?

or, is there a way to force the LAN play to use TCP/IP instead of IPX (i think it may improve gameplay)?

maybe a dedicated server if they exist (i haven't been able to find one...)

Thanks for the help in advance

[...] is there a way to force the LAN play to use TCP/IP instead of IPX (i think it may improve gameplay)?

I wish TCP/IP was implemented.... I can't play multiplayer at all (Vista doesn't know IPX/SPX).

[...] is there a way to force the LAN play to use TCP/IP instead of IPX (i think it may improve gameplay)?

I wish TCP/IP was implemented.... I can't play multiplayer at all (Vista doesn't know IPX/SPX).

Yet another reason I wont install a downgrade to Vista...