Do you lock your computer?

Idontwantspam

Locking your computer  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Do you lock your computer when you leave it?

• Yes (By choice)
    • Yes (Because I'm forced to)
    • No (By choice)
    • No (Because I'm not allowed to)
    • No (Because my computer can't be locked)
    • I've never heard of locking my computer
  2. 2. Is your screensaver password-protected?

• Yes (By choice)
    • Yes (Because it's forced)
    • No (By choice)
    • No (Because it's not allowed to be)
    • No (Because my screensaver can't be password protected)
    • I've never heard of password-protecting my screensaver
  3. 3. Do you force others to lock their computers? (By group policy, etc.)

• Yes
    • No
    • No (I can't)
    • Does not apply

So, what do people here think about locking their computers? I always lock mine, since I don't want nosy parents or siblings poking around at home, or random people walking around the computer lab messing stuff up at school. My screensaver is also password-protected, but it doesn't really apply since I always lock up before it gets a change to kick in anyway. I force all users of my computer to have a password protected screensaver, except for the accounts that aren't allowed to lock the computer for various reasons (such as the guest account).

I always lock my machine, it's just habit.

same here. When i first got my job where i work now, no one locked there computers, then i set it to lock after 15 min and let me tell you people started to yell. I told them it's to protect you so someone can't get on it and do something and you get blamed. I also said you should lock it right away whenever you get up.

users.. they always think IT is out to get them.

enforcing it after 5-10 mins in the workplace is good practice, if anyone moans, tell them to work harder & stay at their desk!

i never lock my home pc, only me and my girlfriend use it, we just share one account

in school its required though, my account has admin privileges so its very important that i do.

I take it you're a staff member, presumably an IT person? They sure don't give students admin rights at my school! :P In fact, this year they decided to not even let us lock the computers, by disabling the Lock Workstation button when you press Ctrl+Alt+Del. However, fortunately, making a shortcut to lock the workstation works - under windows 2000, it's

rundll32 user32.dll LockWorkStation

, but under XP that doesn't work. Fortunately, a shortcut to tsdiscon will work. :D

All of the staff at my school district have complete admin privileges, yet only a few lock their computers. :ph34r:

at home its just force of habit, i just lock it when i walk away unless i'm still in view of the monitor.

in school its required though, my account has admin privileges so its very important that i do.

ya i am the same at school. actuall i think that i am one of the only students who even has the privledges to lock my computer.

sometimes people would just lock there comp, walk away, and not come back, meaning that the computer would have to be restarted for someone else to use it..

even at home i lock my comp, i hate people messing around on my computer then messing something up.