Integration of Intel's SATA AHCI and RAID drivers

Fernando 1

Hello,

My hard drive recently failed on my Toshiba Portege M700-7004. I bought a new WD Scorpio Blue 500GB hard drive and tried to install. My computer could not read the new hard drive.

I have downloaded and installed the Intel matrix drivers and nLite. When i run nLite and it asks me to locate the installation files I put in the recovery CD and click on the CD drive and select ok. A pop up appears that says: " Make sure that the selected folder or drive contains the 'I' or 'AMD64' directory and proper Windows installation files. nLite is for a pre-install environment only, meaning that it cannot modify an existing Windows installation. An easy way is to insert your Windows installation CD and select the CD drive. Never copy the files directly to a partition root, create an empty folder first." I click ok and the program does not recognize the installation files. I then select the "I386" sub folder in the CD drive and the same thing happens. I then copy the installation files to an empty folder on my hard drive and try it again. the same thing happens.

Please help. Is there something i am doing wrong?

@ jlandmann:

Welcome at MSFN Forums!

When i run nLite and it asks me to locate the installation files I put in the recovery CD and click on the CD drive and select ok. A pop up appears that says: " Make sure that the selected folder or drive contains the 'I' or 'AMD64' directory and proper Windows installation files. Please help. Is there something i am doing wrong?
Yes, you need a complete Windows XP CD, if you want to create a Windows XP CD with integrated drivers by using a tool like nLite. You cannot do it with a Recovery version, when the i386 directory is missing.

NLite itself is not able to expand a Recovery version to a a full XP CD content. If you cannot get any complete XP CD, you may try to create it by the tool XP-ISO-Builder, which you can get >here<.

Regards

Fernando

Edited by Fernando 1

So I was able to get a hold of an windows xp cd. when i get the part about integrating the driver I cant find them. I download and installed the Intel Matrix driver Storage manger extracted it to a folder but cant find when When I click on the folder in nLite nothing shows up. Where ar ethe drivers?

Here is some of my system details:

Operating System C1 2:

Genuine Windows Vista® Business (32-bit version)

Microsoft® Windows XP Pro Recovery Media

Processor and Chipset 3

Intel® Centrino® vPro™ Processor Technology featuring:

Processor:

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T8100

2.1GHz, 3MB L2, 800MHz FSB with 64-bit C1

Chipset:

Mobile Intel® GM965 Express Chipset

here is a link for more info: http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su...mily=1073768662

based on thid info: what driver should i download so it will recognize my WD scorpio blue 500 gb hard drive???

So I was able to get a hold of an windows xp cd. when i get the part about integrating the driver I cant find them. I download and installed the Intel Matrix driver Storage manger extracted it to a folder but cant find when When I click on the folder in nLite nothing shows up. Where ar ethe drivers?
1. You will find the suitable driver and all needed informations within my guide (= start post of this thread).

2. There is no need to extract the Intel Matrix Storage Manager package, if you are ging to integrate the Intel textmode driver (look into my guide).

3. As I have already written, you will need an original XP CD as source (no Recovery CD, where the i386 directory is missing).

what driver should i download so it will recognize my WD scorpio blue 500 gb hard drive???
The choice of the suitable textmode driver doesn't depend on the vendor and the specification of the used hdd.

These are the only important questions:

1. Are you running your SATA hdd in IDE, AHCI or RAID Mode?
    Tip: You will find the settings within the mainboard BIOS.
  2. To which SATA Controller chip (vendor and type) is your hdd connected?
    Tip: Run Vista, open the "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers" and - if present - the "Storage Controllers" sections of the Device Manager and post the names of the listed Controllers.

Regards

Fernando

I need so much help, where to start:

I have a new AOD 250 that came with XP home and I want to install XP Pro on. I have slipstreamed SP3 and my Sata drivers into XP by using nlite. I have used PeToUSB and the utility on this site to make my flash drive bootable. I am now able to get into Textmode and actually see the HD. When I go to delete the partition that Windows was installed on it won’t let me and says that there are setup files that are needed on this partition. So I try to install over the old windows installation and it says that it deletes windows and then it tries to install the new files from the USB key and it cannot copy the files. I push escape to skip and it does it to the next. What am I doing wrong!!?!?!?

Thank you. All of the information on this site is what pushed me to take this on as I thought I was smart enough to do this, I failed.

@ pinslammer:

Welcome at MSFN Forums!

Here is my comment:

1. I assume, that you have done a backup of all your datas. If not, you should do it.
  2. The cause of your problems while installing a new OS onto the hdd of your notebook is probably just a security action of the vendor to prevent a not wanted delition of the preinstalled OS.
    You can easily do it nevertheless by using a tool like KillDisk (>Link<), which will erase all the datas and even the hidden partition tables.
  3. The problem regarding the message "Cannot copy file xyz" can have more than 1 reason:
    • you have hit F6 when prompted (you should not do it)
    • you did not use a clean XP Pro CD as source
    • you have done something wrong within the preparation of your installion media or
    • corrupted datas on your USB stick (solution: delete the content and recopy everything).

Hoping that this helps

Fernando

@ pinslammer:

Welcome at MSFN Forums!

Here is my comment:

1. I assume, that you have done a backup of all your datas. If not, you should do it.
  2. The cause of your problems while installing a new OS onto the hdd of your notebook is probably just a security action of the vendor to prevent a not wanted delition of the preinstalled OS.
    You can easily do it nevertheless by using a tool like KillDisk (>Link<), which will erase all the datas and even the hidden partition tables.
  3. The problem regarding the message "Cannot copy file xyz" can have more than 1 reason:
    • you have hit F6 when prompted (you should not do it)
    • you did not use a clean XP Pro CD as source
    • you have done something wrong within the preparation of your installion media or
    • corrupted datas on your USB stick (solution: delete the content and recopy everything).

Hoping that this helps

Fernando

Using Kill Disk resulted in 2 things:

1. The ability to delete the partition.

2. Once the partition was formatted Windows was able to complete the install from the USB Stick.

I now have one other issue. When XP goes to load it comes up with 2 choices as if it is trying to do a dual boot. Choice one is XP Pro, the Second is "USB Repair NOT to Start Microsoft Windows XP Professional"

Does anyone have any ideas how to get rid of this without starting over? Or what to do differently if I do start over?

I now have one other issue. When XP goes to load it comes up with 2 choices as if it is trying to do a dual boot. Choice one is XP Pro, the Second is "USB Repair NOT to Start Microsoft Windows XP Professional"

Does anyone have any ideas how to get rid of this without starting over? Or what to do differently if I do start over?

That problem can easily be solved:
  1. Open the file named BOOT.INI, which is in the Root of your C partition (if you don't see it, go to "Folders Options" > "View" > "Advanced Settings" > "Hidden files and folders" and enable "show them").
  2. Delete just the line with the "USB Repair NOT to Start Microsoft Windows XP Professional" and save the file.

After having done that your computer will boot straight into Windows XP Pro.

Regards

Fernando

That problem can easily be solved:
  1. Open the file named BOOT.INI, which is in the Root of your C partition (if you don't see it, go to "Folders Options" > "View" > "Advanced Settings" > "Hidden files and folders" and enable "show them").
  2. Delete just the line with the "USB Repair NOT to Start Microsoft Windows XP Professional" and save the file.

After having done that your computer will boot straight into Windows XP Pro.

Regards

Fernando

Fernando you are a live saver. Thank you.

Most of the XP64 drivers for my laptop must be extracted from executable archives distributed by the mfgrs and this

makes it unclear how to select the proper driver for nLite to integrate.

1. Multiple INF files for one driver in the same directory e.g. Intel® Matrix Storage Manager Driver: it has IASTOR.INF and IAHCI.INF in the same directory, both of which I think are needed. If I specify One Driver to Insert I must choose one of them and then I DK if the other will be installed; if I try to select the other one too, nLite does not accept it from the same directory. So should I specify Multiple Drivers to insure both will be included?

2. One driver with multiple files in different directories e.g. nVidia graphics driver: it has the INF of the core driver in one directory and an INF for a HDMI driver in ahanother directory. Here my guess is that I need to specify each directory as one driver and insert them separately, as I doubt the graphics driver will also include the HDMI.

3. Multiple INFs for multiple drivers in the same directory e.g. Intel Mobile Chipset. Here there is a double problem: there are multiple INF files for the same chipset family all of which must be installed and multiple INF files for other chipset families none of which must be installed. The thing is I cannot tell from the names of the files which should be in and which out. So if I specify One-Driver to Insert, I don't know which INFs to select. But if I specify Multiple Drivers, all of them will be selected and I dk is that's correct -- would they all be installed?

Would appreciate advice from those in the know.

Thanks.

1. Multiple INF files for one driver in the same directory e.g. Intel® Matrix Storage Manager Driver: it has IASTOR.INF and IAHCI.INF in the same directory, both of which I think are needed. If I specify One Driver to Insert I must choose one of them and then I DK if the other will be installed; if I try to select the other one too, nLite does not accept it from the same directory. So should I specify Multiple Drivers to insure both will be included?
No, they will be both included anyway. nLite will always copy the whole content (= all files) of the driver folder into the CD image.

By the way: An INF file is just a text file and not a driver. You can open each INF file with the Editor and read it. The INF files only contain the informations for the OS about how to get the driver proper installed.

2. One driver with multiple files in different directories e.g. nVidia graphics driver: it has the INF of the core driver in one directory and an INF for a HDMI driver in ahanother directory. Here my guess is that I need to specify each directory as one driver and insert them separately, as I doubt the graphics driver will also include the HDMI.
The NVIDIA Display (=graphics) driver and the HDMI Audio driver are different drivers. So they have to be integrated separately. nLite will do that for you, if you choose the multiple driver folder option.
3. Multiple INFs for multiple drivers in the same directory e.g. Intel Mobile Chipset. Here there is a double problem: there are multiple INF files for the same chipset family all of which must be installed and multiple INF files for other chipset families none of which must be installed. The thing is I cannot tell from the names of the files which should be in and which out. So if I specify One-Driver to Insert, I don't know which INFs to select. But if I specify Multiple Drivers, all of them will be selected and I dk is that's correct -- would they all be installed?
All INF files will be integrated into the OS CD, no matter

a ) which INF file you checked and

b ) if you choose the single or the multiple driver option.

As I have written above, an INF file is not a driver.

By the way: The Intel chipset "drivers" (= "INF Update Ultility") don't contain any real driver. Real drivers are the files with the extension ."SYS".

Thanks, Fernando.

Yes, I know about the INF files -- I am referring to them as drivers because they represent the drivers to nLite.

The message was written before I read your sticky. I was referred to it and it clarified most of the stuff for me.

But I posted another message to your thread with some minor issues after I read the sticky -- can you pls reply?

Regards,

FP