Integration of Intel's SATA AHCI and RAID drivers

Fernando 1

There's a popular thread in the XP forum about how to enable AHCI on XP and they have to create a registry entry, etc.:

http://www.msfn.org/board/compiled-faq-gui...tml#entry785969

Just to clarify, they have to go through some extra steps because they're trying to enable AHCI after XP is already installed, right?

Again, just to clarify, since the purpose of this thread is to describe how to integrate the driver during the XP installation, does that mean that you don't have to do anything else after XP is finished being installed?

@ quaternary:

I don't think, that your problem has something to do with the installation medium USB stick.

The STOP: 0x0000007B error message usually indicates a wrong or broken textmode driver.

Since we do not know exactly the specifications (HardwareID) of your SATA Controller and the SATA Mode (AHCI, RAID or IDE), you probably have to try several different drivers and may check different SATA Controllers during the textmode driver integration.

@ E-66:

If you do a fresh install of Windows XP onto a SATA hdd, which is running in AHCI Mode, and you are booting off an XP CD with integrated suitable AHCI textmode driver, you haven't to do anything regading SATA after XP Setup has been finished.

The procedure you have linked to is only valid for users, who want to enable AHCI after having installed Windows XP in IDE Mode.

Edited by Fernando 1

Thanks. One more question regarding your reply above. What if I don't use a CD but install off a partition on the HDD instead? That is how I've always installed XP. I've tested many different nLite configurations, tweaking them to try to find one I was happy with. It seemed wasteful to keep burning all those different configs to CD, so I have my nLited XP source on a separate partition on the HDD and install using Winnt.exe. Any issues with doing it that way?

What if I don't use a CD but install off a partition on the HDD instead?
Although I have never done that, I don't expect any problems due to the installation procedure (by booting off CD/DVD/USB/eSATA or by starting it from within an existing hdd partition.

Much more important is, that you have integrated the correct textmode driver. If yes, Windows Setup will find and use it.

@Fernando

I thought I posted the relevant data already here. I reposted below. I see product: 82801FB/FW (ICH6/ICH6W) SATA Controller and IDE interface. Is this not the product ID? Does that really not tell us any information about the SATA controller? What kind of hardware ID are you looking for, maybe I can find it.

Also, would IDE not be the SATA mode? I searched through the output of all the hardware, and don't find anything matching RAID or AHCI, but maybe that doesn't mean anything.

My BIOS version (Dell A09) does not include an option to change SATA mode (or to select hard disk boot priority).

*-ide:1

description: IDE interface

product: 82801FB/FW (ICH6/ICH6W) SATA Controller

vendor: Intel Corporation

physical id: 1f.2

bus info: pci@0000:00:1f.2

logical name: scsi2

version: 03

width: 32 bits

clock: 66MHz

capabilities: ide pm bus_master cap_list emulated

configuration: driver=ata_piix latency=0

*-disk:0

description: ATA Disk

product: ST340014AS

vendor: Seagate

physical id: 0.0.0

bus info: scsi@2:0.0.0

logical name: /dev/sda

version: 8.12

serial: 5MQ28YCX

size: 37GiB (40GB)

capabilities: partitioned partitioned:dos

configuration: ansiversion=5 signature=d0f4738c

*-core

description: Motherboard

product: 0M3918

vendor: Dell Inc.

physical id: 0

*-firmware

description: BIOS

vendor: Dell Inc.

physical id: 0

version: A09 (06/22/2005)

size: 64KiB

capacity: 448KiB

capabilities: pci pnp apm upgrade shadowing cdboot bootselect edd int13floppytoshiba int5printscreen int9keyboard int14serial int17printer acpi usb ls120boot biosbootspecification netboot

What kind of hardware ID are you looking for, maybe I can find it.
The HardwareID consists of the VendorID (VEN_xxxx), the DeviceID (DEV_xxxx) and usually a suffix. A typical HardwareID looks like this:
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2822&CC_0104

You can get the HardwareID's of each device, if you have a running Windows OS on the system: Open the Device Manager, do a right-click onto the related device > "Properties" > "Details" > "Property" > "HardwareID's".

All storage Controllers (SATA, AHCI or RAID) are within the "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers" or "Storage Controllers" (XP: "SCSI and RAID Controllers") section of the Device Manager.

The HardwareID consists of the VendorID (VEN_xxxx), the DeviceID (DEV_xxxx) and usually a suffix.

OK! Got it:

00:1f.2 0101: 8086:2651 (rev 03)

00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FW (ICH6/ICH6W) SATA Controller (rev 03)

The Vendor ID is 8086 and the Device ID is 2651. Hopefully this can be useful to find the right text driver.

The Vendor ID is 8086 and the Device ID is 2651. Hopefully this can be useful to find the right text driver.
Thanks for this information.

The exact name of the related device is "Intel® 82801FB Ultra ATA Storage Controllers - 2651". It is an Intel ICH6 chipset SATA device, which is neither supporting AHCI nor RAID.

There is no textmode driver available for this SATA Controller, because the device doesn't need any real driver, but just an INF file. It is supported by the actual Intel chipset "drivers" (wrong name), which you can get >here<.

So you should be able to get Windows XP with integrated SP2 or - even better - SP3 installed without the integration of any textmode driver.

This is what I recommend for you:

1. Download and unzip the above linked Intel chipset drivers, which I have already prepared for the later integration into a Windows XP CD.
  2. Copy the content of the original (=untouched) Windows XP CD onto a folder of your hdd.
  3. Start nLite and let it do just the following:

1. integration of the Service Pack 3 (not needed, if your source is already XP SP3)
    2. integration of the Intel chipset "drivers" by pointing onto any of the various INF files (doesn't matter which one you choose)
    3. creation of the ISO file

4. Burn the ISO file as bootable Image.
    5. Unplug all unneeded extern devices.
    6. Boot off the just created XP CD.

This way you should succeed with the XP installation. All Intel chipset "drivers" for your Intel ICH6 system should be already installed due to the integration of them.
      Once the OS is up, look into the Device Manager for the missing other drivers (for the Graphics adapter, Network Controller, Soundchip etc.). Search, download and install them.
      Good luck!
      Fernando
Edited by Fernando 1

The exact name of the related device is "Intel® 82801FB Ultra ATA Storage Controllers - 2651". It is an Intel ICH6 chipset SATA device, which is neither supporting AHCI nor RAID.

There is no textmode driver available for this SATA Controller, because the device doesn't need any real driver, but just an INF file. It is supported by the actual Intel chipset "drivers" (wrong name), which you can get >here<.

No joy.

I tried this twice, once including all of the files from that download, another just using a random .inf file, both times the installation just stops at the blue screen with the same 0x0000007B error.

No joy.

I tried this twice, once including all of the files from that download, another just using a random .inf file, both times the installation just stops at the blue screen with the same 0x0000007B error.

If you really have integrated nothing else than a Service Pack and the Intel chipset "divers", the BSOD is caused by something else.

Questions:

1. Are you using a clean (=untouched) original MS XP CD as source?

Look into the i386 directory of the CD for a file named WINNT.SIF. If you find it, you can be sure, that the CD has been processed (by you or someone else).

2. When you get the STOP: error message, do you see a name of a file, which may have caused the error?

If you couldn't see the entire error message, because the system rebooted at once, you should repeat the procedure, but hit F8 at (re)boot and choose the option "Don't reboot at System failure". Please give us the complete STOP: error message.

3. How much RAM is within your computer?

If it are more than 3 GB, you should remove 1 RAM stick, before you are going to install Windows XP.

Edited by Fernando 1

This is not an original CD source, but I know that this ISO has been installed without problems on machines with floppy drives/appropriate drivers. Does this method not apply to any but original versions?

I have 1GB RAM.

The full error is:

STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF78D2524, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

The text is generic and does not give any file information, just that a problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage...reboot try again or check for hard drive corruption.

Should it matter if the harddrive I want to install this on is partitioned? One empty 15GB NTFS, and then an ext3 partition.

This is not an original CD source, but I know that this ISO has been installed without problems on machines with floppy drives/appropriate drivers.
I am sorry. but we must not give any support to users, who are working with an illegal copy of a Windows OS.

• 2 weeks later...

First, this is a great post, THANK YOU.

Second, a suggestion for the first post of this thread, that may help others determine which drivers to integrate (you will know best if this information is useful, I'm still new to integrating these drivers):

If you have WinXP (others?) installed you can find your system's hard drive controller type by:

- Start > Run > devmgmt.msc

- expand the "+" to the left of "IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers"

- controller type will appear in the list.

Cheers,

Bret

@ bretmaverick999:

Thanks for your suggestion. I will put something like that into my guide, when it's time for the next update.

By the way: Only the Intel SATA AHCI Controllers are listed within the "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers" section of the Device Manager. The Intel SATA RAID Controllers are within the section "SCSI and RAID Controllers" (XP) or "Storage Controllers" (Vista and Win7).

Regards

Fernando

• 1 month later...