Integration of Intel's SATA AHCI and RAID drivers

Fernando 1

@ dandrews:

Welcome at MSFN Forum!

I thought I was all set to install until I got to your quote above...now what?
There probably is nothing to worry about, because the actual generation of SATA connected optical drives should be fully compatible with the AHCI mode.

Since the text of my guide may have been a little bit misleading regarding this point, I just have updated it. I hope, that it is clearer now.

Is it possible to enable AHCI on only some of the ports, or is it all or nothing?
It depends on the special mainboard. Look into your mainboard manual, if the BIOS gives you the option to enable/disable the AHCI mode for some 6G or 3G SATA ports.
Please don't tell me I bought the SATA optical drive for nothing...?
Just to avoid any disappointment I do not tell you that. :no:

Regards

Fernando

OK, so maybe I'm worried for nothing...optical drive might be OK with AHCI...I guess I'll just have to try and see...

regarding: Intel chipset device INF files set v9.2.3.1022 WHQL for XP integration.rar

Is this only for XP or also Server 2003?

Thanks!

OK, so maybe I'm worried for nothing...optical drive might be OK with AHCI...I guess I'll just have to try and see...
A agree with you.
regarding: Intel chipset device INF files set v9.2.3.1022 WHQL for XP integration.rar

It's for both Operating Systems.

Thanks Fernando!

However now I can't seem to get nLite to work...

Requires .net 2 framework or higher?

I've got .net 4...

Can't start program...

.net framework error says can't find a runtime...?

Update:

Hey! I figured it out...was missing an update for .net 3.5...now program starts!

Thanks anyways!

Edited by dandrews

My HP 6910p noteb has an AHCI ICH8M sata port, i want sleepstream with Nlite the basic information to carry on with install and repair of WnXp-Sp3.

The notes found here are interesting, but i am confused about to use in Nlite and possibly testing with Oracle VB before burning a lot of CD.

Apparently you have the solution with "32bit Intel MSM AHCI & RAID driver v8.9.8.1005 WHQL". The point is, which information i have to peek in Nlite driver integrate menu, only the one offered by named option or multiple, like adding "32bit Intel MSM AHCI & RAID driver v8.9.8.1005 mod by Fernando"?

However, the testing done ends always with bugcheck 0x19, BAD_POOL_HEADER in acpi.sys, independently if I use ICH8, ICH8-M, mod for VB... etc. etc. Notice that, when burning to CD and testing on notebook, following the setup it goes through, but for some reason i get a series of non-stopping errors referring to hpzius12.sys, hpzisc12.sys. Any enlightment? Thank's.

==update==

Gave a chance in NLite - drive integrate - to install only one info, the WHQL and VB finally setup WinXp as it should.

By the way, it still stops with hpzisc12.sys error (not found i think, is not clear what it says). If i understood, NLite writes the dosnet.inf as user add setup choices, but is not clear if it reads it and decodes for humans. In other words, suppose i start from a sleepstreamed installation CD, one on which others previously added drivers for their purposes (i.e., an OEM installation CD), if i use it in NLite i am not sure if it can build a more customized setup or if can create clash during setup. How to read the drivers available in setup CD?

Edited by teebe

@ teebee:

Welcome at MSFN Forum!

My HP 6910p noteb has an AHCI ICH8M sata port, i want sleepstream with Nlite the basic information to carry on with install and repair of WnXp-Sp3.

The notes found here are interesting, but i am confused about to use in Nlite and possibly testing with Oracle VB before burning a lot of CD. Apparently you have the solution with "32bit Intel MSM AHCI & RAID driver v8.9.8.1005 WHQL".

If you want to install XP in a VirtualBox without risking a BSOD, you should integrate >this< old Intel textmode driver of the MSM series.
The point is, which information i have to peek in Nlite driver integrate menu, only the one offered by named option or multiple, like adding "32bit Intel MSM AHCI & RAID driver v8.9.8.1005 mod by Fernando"?
Please read my guide carefully. You will find all needed informations there:
When you come up to the task "Drivers", hit the "Insert" button, use the "Single driver" option and point to the content of the driver package you have downloaded and extracted at first step. Click onto one of the shown INF files (it doesn't matter which one).
However, the testing done ends always with bugcheck 0x19, BAD_POOL_HEADER in acpi.sys, independently if I use ICH8, ICH8-M, mod for VB... etc. etc. Notice that, when burning to CD and testing on notebook, following the setup it goes through, but for some reason i get a series of non-stopping errors referring to hpzius12.sys, hpzisc12.sys. Any enlightment?
.These SYS files are special Hewlett-Packard Printer drivers, which are not present within the Original XP CD produced by Microsoft.
By the way, it still stops with hpzisc12.sys error (not found i think, is not clear what it says). If i understood, NLite writes the dosnet.inf as user add setup choices, but is not clear if it reads it and decodes for humans. In other words, suppose i start from a sleepstreamed installation CD, one on which others previously added drivers for their purposes (i.e., an OEM installation CD),
To prevent these errors I recommend to use an original Windows XP CD as source and not an OEM installation CD, which has been designed for a slightly other system.

You will be able to get any original SB (SystemBuilder) version of Windows XP installed and activated by using your OEM CD key, provided you have an XP OEM licence and don't use the OS with another system.

Regards

Fernando

Thank you Fernando, I can confirm that only a single instance of the same driver should be inserted into Nlite, this way there are no multiple choices for same hardware. In fact doing one single ICH8M insertion of proper VB compatible is successful.

I want to understand how Nlite manage the DOSNET.INF lines, in case of a not "virgin" source CD. That could be interesting, at least if one knows what is available into actual setup, he can remove/add drivers and components to his aim.

Apparently, at least in my assumptions, Nlite only works with his creatures, it stores any change into a named and time stamped .ini but it cannot read the structure of a setup CD and GUI the content.

Do you know any application that can do a display the contents of setup CD in a useful mode?

Thank you

Do you know any application that can do a display the contents of setup CD in a useful mode?
No, I don't know such application.

According to my knowledge all available tools, which are able to integrate drivers into a Windows XP image, need an untouched XP CD as source for a proper integration.

Regards

Fernando

What else could be a slipstream of actual configured OS and drives for a certain computer brand/model? If starting from an untouched setup CD one's add all working drives, using a driver backup application (DriveMax)? What if all drives are PNP, no TEXT mode? I want try, however your suggestion is welcome.

Regards

Teebe

If starting from an untouched setup CD one's add all working drives, using a driver backup application (DriveMax)? What if all drives are PNP, no TEXT mode?
The integration of PnP drivers is no problem. You can integrate thousends of them - even 64bit ones with a 32bit OS - without expecting any difficulties.

Reason: The hardware detection during the GUIMODE part of the XP installation will only take the suitable ones.

Things are totally different with the textmode drivers, because they are already needed during the TEXTMODE part of the OS installation to get the hdd/SSD detected and the OS data copied onto it.

Hi guys.

i am trying to install windows xpx86 sp3 with AHCI drivers on my Lenovo IdeaCentre H410 desktop.

I followed this guide procedure for the ICH7-R chipset, but it didnt worked. If i check in device manager it still shows IDE.

also, on my BIOS i only have SATA enable/disable option. No ide/ahci options.

this is the link for the drivers of the H410 desktop

http://consumersupport.lenovo.com/us/en/DriversDownloads/drivers_list.aspx?CategoryID=476626

with my desktop i received a cd for windows7 drivers.

I purchased my unit without OS.

p.s. if i install my untouched OS, the instalation goes well. my hardisk is recognize with no problems. Only that i dont have AHCI activated.

hope for some feedback...

Edited by kompwter

@ kompwter:

Welcome at MSFN Forum!

I doubt, that your Lenovo IdeaCentre H410 Desktop supports the AHCI features. Otherwise Lenovo would have offered an Intel AHCI driver for it.

also, on my BIOS i only have SATA enable/disable option. No ide/ahci options.
This verifies, that the mainboard of your system doesn't support AHCI and RAID.

This is the simple reason why you were not able to get any AHCI driver installed.

Regards

Fernando

A agree with you.

It's for both Operating Systems.

So after getting everything up and running:

In AHCI mode:

The SATA optical drive seems to work fine for reading;

It does NOT work for writing, or for burning lightscribe labels.

In IDE mode the SATA optical drive works fine reading and writing and burning labels.

Unfortunately I cannot have my HDD's @ AHCI while the optical drive is @ IDE mode...so yes, I bought the SATA optical drive for nothing, now have to buy a PATA drive and install a IDE pci card...unless anyone knows of a SATA lightscribe dive that burns ok in AHCI mode?

I bought the SATA optical drive for nothing, now have to buy a PATA drive and install a IDE pci card...unless anyone knows of a SATA lightscribe dive that burns ok in AHCI mode?
There are a lot of optical drives, which are reading and writing fine in AHCI mode. That is a Standard feature!

My advice: RMA the optical drive and get another one.

Regards

Fernando

• 1 month later...

My laptop does not see HDD. Whith installation of XP I have only a black screen, can not run at all installation XP. Windows Vista starts to install, asks me for drivers when I install mass storage drivers to recognize hard drive, but says that the hardware can not boot from this HDD. Not alow me to formatt, can delete partitions and create new and that's all. Perhaps drivers that I possess are not appropriate, not even I do not know what to do. If someone can help me I would be grateful.

Advrnt 3090 intel 943gml + ich7-m