Integration of Intel's SATA AHCI and RAID drivers

Fernando 1

Solved.

Not a VirtualBox bug.

Intel Drivers are good.

"iaAHCI.inf" and "TXTSETUP.OEM" must be patched.

Fernando's patch, however, does not work for VirtualBox ICH8 Sata Controller.

A patch that does is available here

For comparison, and your own interest, you can look at Intel's original version here

VirtualBox does not ship with alternate sata controllers, and my laptop does not ship with sata period. Further testing not possible.

Vmware Player only has IDE and Scsi, no sata support.

Edited by ericore

@ encore::

Thanks for your statement regarding the possible origin of the BSOD's you got and thanks for the link to the patched and the original old Intel MSM AHCI/RAID driver v7.0.0.1020 dated 02/12/2007..

Nevertheless I am missing the answers to my questions.

By the way:

It is not my "patch", which doesn't work with VirtualBox systems, it is the behaviour of Intel's actual AHCI/RAID drivers (= SYS files), which belong to the "Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (IRST)" series. This new AHCI/RAID driver generation is very sensitive regarding the hardware environment.

Users, who want to install Windows XP by using the VirtualBox, should integrate an Intel AHCI/RAID driver of the meanwhile outdated "Intel® Matrix Storage Manager (IMSM)" generation.

The latest available Intel MSM driver is v8.9.8.1005 dated 04/05/2010. You can find the "modded" 32/64bit versions of this driver within the start post of >this< thread (Chapter II, second driver set). I am pretty sure, that they will work with your system using the VirtualBox.

Regards

Fernando

Edited by Fernando 1

A reminder to new readers that this concerns installing XP in VirtualBox under Vista Compatibility Mode which uses Sata controller unlike XP mode which uses IDE controller.

1. Those Drivers you link to, Intel Storage Matrix Manager (SMS), 8.9.8.1005, lead to BSOD within VirtualBox.

2. Based on my analysis, your patch files are flawless; however only versions of SMS between 7.8.0.1012 and 7.0.0.1020 and possibly older will work with VirtualBox which uses ICH8M-E /M SATA AHCI Controller.

I tested these (IaStor.sys), with your patch files from (SMS), 8.9.8.1005; no bsod.

Attempts to include IaStor.sys from SMS 8 or above failed.

3. That being said, either newer versions of SMS i.e., version 8 and above are not compatible with nlite or not compatible with VirtualBox; hopefully the latter.

Which leads to the following question, have you tested your unofficial linked driver (SMS 8.9.8.1005) with ICH9 and or ICH10?

Important*, the question assumes you used Nlite to integrate.

You should make adjustments to guides since your drivers fails within VirtualBox.

I have repackaged, your patched files with 7.8.0.1012 drivers for VirtualBox.

The remaining devices which were not supported in 7.8.0.1012 can be found in my modded version of 8.9.8.1005.

http://uploading.com/files/84d95b1m/32bit%2BIntel%2BMSM%2BAHCI%2B%2526%2BRAID%2Bdriver%2Bv7.8.0.1012%2Bmod%2Bby%2BEricore.7z/

http://uploading.com/files/78b41265/32bit%2BIntel%2BMSM%2BAHCI%2B%2526%2BRAID%2Bdriver%2Bv8.9.8.1005%2Breminder%2Bby%2BEricore.7z/

Edited by ericore

@ ericore:

Thank you for taking the time testing some different Intel AHCI driver versions with your VirtualBox ICH8M system running in "Vista Compatibility Mode" and creating/uploading the 32bit XP driverpacks, which have been customized by yourself.

Here is my comment:

A reminder to new readers that this concerns installing XP in VirtualBox under Vista Compatibility Mode which uses Sata controller unlike XP mode which uses IDE controller.
This is an important message.

AFAIK the 32/64bit Intel MSM drivers v8.9.8.1005 WHQL, which I have linked within the start post of this thread, are running fine with all Intel ICH8R and ICH8M SATA AHCI Controllers unless they are used from scratch in a VirtualBox running in "Vista Compatibility Mode".

1. Those Drivers you link to, Intel Storage Matrix Manager (SMS), 8.9.8.1005, lead to BSOD within VirtualBox.
This seems only valid for the XP installation within a VirtualBox running in "Vista Compatibilty Mode".
2. Based on my analysis, your patch files are flawless; however only versions of SMS between 7.8.0.1012 and 7.0.0.1020 and possibly older will work with VirtualBox which uses ICH8M-E /M SATA AHCI Controller.

I tested these (IaStor.sys), with your patch files from (SMS), 8.9.8.1005; no bsod.

Attempts to include IaStor.sys from SMS 8 or above failed.

It is not a good idea to simply mix different iaStor.sys file versions with iaAHCI.inf and txtsetup.oem files, which were created and designed for another Intel driver version.

Even if the driver mix will work (no BSOD while restarting), you will get wrong informations regarding the in-use driver version, if you open the Device Manager (right click onto the AHCI Controller > "Properties" > "Drivers").

Please remember: The real driver is the iaStor.sys file, all other files of the Intel MSM or RST driverpacks are just text files, which will give the needed informations about how to get the driver (=SYS file) installed and integrated into the OS. TheDevice Manager just shows the driver details (date and version), which is layed down within the iaAHCI.inf file and not the real (=iaStor.sys) driver details (shown by doing a right click onto the iaStor.sys file > "Properties" > "Details").

Tip: If you want to mix SYS and INF files of different driverpacks, you should customize the driver details (date and version) within the INF files.

3. That being said, either newer versions of SMS i.e., version 8 and above are not compatible with nlite or not compatible with VirtualBox; hopefully the latter.
I think, it's the latter and only if being used in "Vista Compatibilty Mode".
Which leads to the following question, have you tested your unofficial linked driver (SMS 8.9.8.1005) with ICH9 and or ICH10?

Important*, the question assumes you used Nlite to integrate.

Since I neither have an Intel ICH9 or ICH10 system nor using the VirtualBox, I am not able to test it, but a lot of AHCI users with an Intel ICH8, ICH9 and ICH10 Southbridge (without any letter after the "ICH8/9/10") reported, that they succeeded with the installation of Windows XP after having integrated the actual Intel MSM/RST drivers of the v8.x, v9.x and v10.x series, where I had added the missing HardwareID' entries within the iaAHCI.inf and txtsetup.oem files.What I do not definitively know is, if the XP installation worked in a VirtualBox with different "Compatibilty Modes" too.
You should make adjustments to guides since your drivers fails within VirtualBox.
Thanks for your advice. I will add a notice regarding this point.

The start post of this thread with the guide about how to integrate the Intel AHCI and RAID driver into a Windows XP CD by using nLite has been written the firtst time in Noveber 2007 and was never intended for users, who want to get Windows XP installed just in a virtual environment.

I have repackaged, your patched files with 7.8.0.1012 drivers for VirtualBox.
Maybe I will add freshly modded 32/64bit Intel MSM drivers v7.8.0.1012 within the start post of this thread for VirtualBox users like you.

Here are the download links:

>32bit Intel MSM AHCI & RAID driver v7.8.0.1012 mod by Fernando<

>64bit Intel MSM AHCI & RAID driver v7.8.0.1012 mod by Fernando<

Maybe you ore someone else can test one of these drivers and report here about the result.

Additional notice:

According to my knowledge all actual Intel RST drivers work in the VirtualBox too, the only problem is to get them installed from scratch. That is why affected users may have to integrate one of these old and outdated MSM drivers of the v7.x.x.xxxx series.

Once XP is up, it should be possible to update the Intel AHCI/RAID driver to an actual RST driver version.

The remaining devices which were not supported in 7.8.0.1012 can be found in my modded version of 8.9.8.1005.
That is the critical point: Until now we do not really know, if the old and outdated Intel MSM drivers of the v7.x series will support the actual Intel chipsets (with an ICH10, 5-Series or 6-Series Southbridge).

By the way: The old and meanwhile outdated Intel AHCI/RAID driver technology is named "Intel® Matrix Storage Management" (= MSM and not SMS).

Thanks again for your efforts clearing up these special VirtualBox problems!

Regards

Fernando

Edited by Fernando 1

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe I will add freshly modded 32/64bit Intel MSM drivers v7.8.0.1012 within the start post of this thread for VirtualBox users like you.

Here are the download links:

>32bit Intel MSM AHCI & RAID driver v7.8.0.1012 mod by Fernando<

>64bit Intel MSM AHCI & RAID driver v7.8.0.1012 mod by Fernando<

Maybe you ore someone else can test one of these drivers and report here about the result.

Registered to say that these work like a charm here. Installed a slipstreamed XP with SP3 and these drivers in a 32-bit VirtualBox with a SATA harddisk without any problems. Thanks everyone involved in making these!

• 2 weeks later...

Also registered just to say thanks alooooooooot

it worked like magic on HP G62-455SX

NOTE :

(xp sp3 - AHCI drivers - nlite) are required .

where usb floppy did not work with the same (driver-not-included) copy of xp sp3 and the same AHCI drivers on the floppy disk !!

regards .

:D

• 2 weeks later...

Hello people,

I need your special help, I have tried close to 8 times to install Windows 2000 SP4, Wasted already 8 disk's I bet, And Yesh i'm so nervous even after I cannot install it proper,

Anyway I know it's because I've a new Computer with SanderBridge/ Intel i5 2500k processor & Mother board of Gigabyte p67a-ud4-b3,

I remember that I had the same error/problem when tried to install WinXP long time AGO but it's solve anyway I'm really interesting and need the 2000 version.

- * Ah I forgot to say that i'm using AHCI mode.

I will do everything to run this OS, if someone please can explain to me, I did some many change and things In the Nlite and noting work for me,

Tried to copy manual by the orginal Disk that came from the Store, At first I made a mistake I guess that I used the PNP Normal mode,

Then someone told me that I've to use the Textmode even that failed... So I just download some last pack of drivers include everything from the last November 2011. And I just puted everything into the Disk & The result was like some weird error like :Line 11233 error, What ever I'm sure there is a solution and thats why i'm here and write to you all that story ;)

Thanks in advance & sorry for my english.

Edited by ownage11

@ ownage11:

Welcome at MSFN Forum!

What is the reason for your idea to run Windows 20000 with a brandnew computer?

I am sorry, but I have to tell you, that you will not be happy with a totally outdated OS running in AHCI mode on a Sandy Bridge CPU mainboard.

Reasons:

1. The OS Windows 2000 is too old and its Setup does't know anything about the SATA AHCI features.
  2. None of the actual Intel AHCI drivers do support Windows 2000.
  3. There are some very, very old Intel Matrix Storage Manager series drivers, which do support Windows 2000, but you will not be able to use them, because the HardwareID's of all actual Intel SATA AHCI Controllers are missing within the files, which are responsable for a proper installation.

Regards

Fernando

Hmm so from what you saying, it's mean thats impossible to run it on my machine ?

Well I don't mind even to change back to IDE, but there is some big reason that I need the Win200 version....

I would like to know if someone there have any idea or option that might be work,

- I'm on dual boot, so it's will be my secound OS.

Thank you.

Edited by ownage11

Thank you Fernando, you are welcome.

Another question before i'm going to IDE, there is anything that I have to add/make up in the CD with NLite?

And if you please can explain to me what to add? chipest what hardware (PNP Mode, or Text mode), I have no experience in that all, And after I wasted 8 disks, I'm just afraid to try more 10x times and failed again :rolleyes:

Edited by ownage11

Another question before i'm going to IDE, there is anything that I have to add/make up in the CD with NLite?
No, if the Service Pack 4 is already integrated. Yes, if not (in this case you should integrate the SP4).

• 2 weeks later...

@ encore::

Thanks for your statement regarding the possible origin of the BSOD's you got and thanks for the link to the patched and the original old Intel MSM AHCI/RAID driver v7.0.0.1020 dated 02/12/2007..

Nevertheless I am missing the answers to my questions.

By the way:

It is not my "patch", which doesn't work with VirtualBox systems, it is the behaviour of Intel's actual AHCI/RAID drivers (= SYS files), which belong to the "Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (IRST)" series. This new AHCI/RAID driver generation is very sensitive regarding the hardware environment.

Users, who want to install Windows XP by using the VirtualBox, should integrate an Intel AHCI/RAID driver of the meanwhile outdated "Intel® Matrix Storage Manager (IMSM)" generation.

The latest available Intel MSM driver is v8.9.8.1005 dated 04/05/2010. You can find the "modded" 32/64bit versions of this driver within the start post of >this< thread (Chapter II, second driver set). I am pretty sure, that they will work with your system using the VirtualBox.

Regards

Fernando

Awesome work fernando, loved your nforce4 packs and now with my new comp you've saved me with intel drivers!!!!!!!!!!!!!

will you update the drivers etc in first post here as some are outdated now?

Awesome work fernando, loved your nforce4 packs and now with my new comp you've saved me with intel drivers!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thanks for your encouraging message.
will you update the drivers etc in first post here as some are outdated now?
It's already been done!

@ all:

Since Intel recently has published new official RST drivers, I have just updated the start post of this thread.

Changelog:

• new: official 32/64bit Intel RST drivers v10.8.0.1003 WHQL dated 10/17/2011
  • new: modded 32/64bit Intel RST drivers v10.8.0.1003 (usable with all Intel AHCI ad RAID systems from ICH7R/M up (except X79)
  • new: complete Intel RST drivers and software pack v10.8.0.1003 (already extracted)
  • new: Intel chipset device INF files set (Intel chipset "drivers") v9.2.3.1022 WHQL (extracted and prepared for the integration)

Regards

Fernando