Integration of Intel's SATA AHCI and RAID drivers

Fernando 1

Within the last day or so, Intel released their latest Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (AHCI/SATA) driver. This is a message for anyone with an ICH8R or M chipset. For whatever reason (perhaps by error), the new driver 10.​6.​0.​1022 does not support ICH8(R or M). I have an Express 965 chipset, and no go today.

The new INF file omits:

%PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2821&CC_0106.DeviceDesc% = iaStor_Install, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2821&CC_0106

%PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2829&CC_0106.DeviceDesc% = iaStor_Install, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2829&CC_0106

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2821&CC_0106.DeviceDesc = "Intel® ICH8R/DH/DO SATA AHCI Controller"

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2829&CC_0106.DeviceDesc = "Intel® ICH8M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller"

The weird thing is that the older ICH7 chipset is supported - I just updated my 945 box. It's also weird in that Intel's download site indicates 965 support.

For those with 965/ICH8, use the old 10.1.0.1008 IRST/SATA driver for now. This could have been an oversight on Intel's part. Who knows.

Update: AHCI and RAID drivers completely stopped for ICH8

Edited by PVU

@ PVU:

Thanks for your information.regarding the missing support of ICH8R and ICH8M Southbridges by Intel's official Intel RST drivers v10.5.x.xxxx and v10.6.x.xxxx series.

Addendum: This is only valid for ICH8R/M users, who are running their SATA Controllers in AHCI mode. RAID systems with an Intel ICH8R or ICH8M Southbridge will be fully supported by Intel's actual RST drivers.

@ all:

Just to prevent a failure of the XP installation onto AHCI systems with an ICH8R/M southbridge, my guide (start post of this thread) still recommends to integrate the RST driver v10.1.0.1008 for all users with an Intel Southbridge from ICH7R/M up - except for those with an Intel 6-series Southbridge ("Sandy Bridge").

Regards

Fernando

Edited by Fernando 1

Can I use these drivers with a XP 64 bit (pre-configured as IDE mode) then enable AHCI mode.
Please keep in mind, that your question has nothing to do with the nLite Forum and the topic of this thread.

Now to your question:

What do you mean with "use" and which driver are you going to take?

Even if you would get the suitable Intel AHCI driver installed onto your IDE mode system, you probably will get a BSOD after having enabled the AHCI mode of the SATA Controllers within the BIOS,

For users, who want to switch their SATA Controllers from IDE to AHCI mode, I always recommend to do a fresh OS installation by using an OS CD/DVD with integrated AHCI driver according to my guide.

Regards

Fernando

@ PVU:

Thanks for your information.regarding the missing support of ICH8R and ICH8M Southbridges by Intel's official Intel RST drivers v10.5.x.xxxx and v10.6.x.xxxx series.

Addendum: This is only valid for ICH8R/M users, who are running their SATA Controllers in AHCI mode. RAID systems with an Intel ICH8R or ICH8M Southbridge will be fully supported by Intel's actual RST drivers.

Fernando, I believe you modify the RST drivers. Don't feel pressured by this question, but will you attempt to add in those INF lines - force-fitting the latest to work with ICH8R and ICH8M?

I have not tried to do it on my end. Thanks

Update: Fernando, I found you (actually in many places), and you have answered my question.

Your post 350: There is a widespread misconception that the chipset manufacturers are working to develop their drivers only or primarily on improving performance ... In this respect, it should not surprise if the emphasis of development work at Intel is currently not the backward compatibility for the new RST-driver series...

Many thanks.

Edited by PVU

Fernando, I believe you modify the RST drivers. Don't feel pressured by this question, but will you attempt to add in those INF lines - force-fitting the latest to work with ICH8R and ICH8M?
As you obviously already have realized, I have done what you requested.

You can find freshly "modded" 32/64bit Intel RST textmode drivers v10.6.0.1002 within the start post of this thread too.

@ all users with an Intel ICH8R, ICH8M, ICH8, ICH9 or ICH10 chipset AHCI system:

After having successfully tested them with my ICH8M chipset notebook running in AHCI mode, I decided to present freshly "modded" 32/64bit Intel textmode drivers v10.6.0.1002 within the start post of this thread.

These "modded" Intel RST drivers do support all Intel SATA AHCI Controllers from ICH7R/M up. Contrary to the original and WHQL certified Intel RST drivers v10.6.0.1002 they will be usable with ICH8R, ICH8M, ICH8, ICH9 and ICH10 AHCI systems too.

To make them compatible with all these different chipsets I have added the following Intel SATA AHCI Controllers to the iaAHCI.inf and TXTSETUP.OEM files:

• "Intel® ICH8R/DH/DO SATA AHCI Controller (added by Fernando)" - DeviceID: DEV_2821&CC_0106
  • "Intel® ICH8 SATA AHCI Controller (added by Fernando)" - DeviceID: DEV_2824&CC_0106
  • "Intel® ICH8M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller (added by Fernando)" - DeviceID: DEV_2829&CC_0106
  • "Intel® ICH9 SATA AHCI Controller (added by Fernando)" - DeviceID: DEV_2923&CC_0106
  • "Intel® ICH10 SATA AHCI Controller (added by Fernando)" - DeviceID: DEV_3A03&CC_0106
  • "Intel® ICH10 SATA AHCI Controller (added by Fernando)" - DeviceID: DEV_3A23&CC_0106

Please let me know it, if any of the Intel AHCI Controllers from ICH7R/M up should not work with my "modded" driver.

Have fun!

Fernando

Edited by Fernando 1

• 3 weeks later...

Fernando, I am helping someone out with a Toshiba Equium L300-146 that originally came with Vista. Here is a device manager screenshot...

VistaDeviceManager.jpg

As you can see it lists IC8HM but also 82801 HEM/HBM SATA ACHI Controller.

I gather that I need...

Here are the links to the actual RST drivers v10.6.0.1002, whose INF and OEM files have been customized by me to make them usable with all Intel AHCI systems from ICH7 up:

* >modded 32bit Intel RST textmode driver v10.6.0.1002< (with additional support of Intel ICH8R, ICH8M,ICH8, ICH9 and ICH10 Southbridges)

but what about the 82801 HEM/HBM SATA ACHI Controller? Should I worry about those?

Here is a Speccy report of his system. I'm not sure whether the chipset is important.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/u2V27fJZCFc07BaRH4iWdiU

Also, what about that Microsoft iSCSI Initiator? Any concerns there?

Please advise. Thanks!

Edited by -X-

@ -X-:

The listet device named "Intel® ICH8M Ultra ATA Storage Controller" is nothing else than Microsoft's "Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller" with its 2 IDE Channels, which are managed by the generic MS IDE driver named PCIIDE.SYS. It is the file named IDE78IDE.INF as part of the Intel chipset device INF files (INF Update Utility), which is responsable for renaming the "Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controllers".

So the only IDE device, which is controlled by a special Intel driver, is the "Intel® 82801 ICH8HEM/HBM SATA AHCI Controller", which is another name for the "Intel® ICH8M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller", but using the same Intel AHCI driver named IASTOR.SYS.

The device named "Microsofr iSCSI Initiator" is nothing to worry about. It takes care, that the non-SCSI hdd's are managed like SCSI ones, which is an advantage for the "hot-plugging" AHCI feature.

Regards

Fernando

• 1 month later...

Hola Fernando!!!

Thank you so much for the great tutorial!

I´ve followed all the steps that you gave here but i still get a BsoD when trying to install Windows XP 64 bit SP2. (unfortunately there is no SP3 for win xp 64 bit edition).

Can you please help me?

These are my specs:

GA-H67A-UD3H-B3 (rev 1.1) Gigabyte Mobo.

i7 2600k Intel CPU

8 gigs of ram

1.5T Western Digital Black Caviar Sata 3 Hard drive.

I´ve tried to install Win 7 64 bit edition and i have the same problem BsoD.

I can see the hard drive in my latest version of BIOS but the OS won´t recognize it... I´m so frustrated I don´t know what else to do...

I´ve tried IDE and AHCI in BIOS but i still get BsoD, tried with the drivers from your post as-well and the ones on the Gigabyte website...

Can you PLEASE HELP ME!!!

Thank you!

I will be waiting for your reply!!!

Take care from Argentina!!!

Edited by pabloXV

@ pabloXV:

Welcome at MSFN Forums!

Please give me some additional informations:

1. Which driver (version and architecture) did you integrate?

2. Which Intel AHCI Controller did you select while integrating the driver?

3. Did you really get a BSOD, when you tried to boot off the original XP x64 CD after having set the SATA Controllers to "IDE" mode? If yes, you should check your memory sticks.

Greetings from Germany to Argentina

Fernando

@ pabloXV:

Welcome at MSFN Forums!

Please give me some additional informations:

1. Which driver (version and architecture) did you integrate?

2. Which Intel AHCI Controller did you select while integrating the driver?

3. Did you really get a BSOD, when you tried to boot off the original XP x64 CD after having set the SATA Controllers to "IDE" mode? If yes, you should check your memory sticks.

Greetings from Germany to Argentina

Fernando

Thank you Fernando so much for your reply!!!! :)

I used this:

64bit Intel RST AHCI & RAID driver v10.6.0.1002 WHQL to integrate with WIN XP x64 (from your link)

then i selected:

Intel® Desktop/Workstation/Server Express Chipset SATA AHCI Controller (this as text driver like you said)

I also integrated the PnP driver: Intel chipset device INF files set v9.2.0.1030 WHQL for XP integration

I think my memory sticks are ok because i can boot an evaluation copy of WIN 7 x32, but when i try to do it with a 64 bit OS i get the BsoD.

Is there any information i can give you from the WIN 7 x32 i can boot from that might be of help?

When i boot from WIN 7 x32 i can see the hard drive info, controillers, drivers etc.

May be with that info you can help me modify the TXTSETUP.OEM file?

Thank you so much!!!

You are my last hope!!!

Cheers!!!! :thumbup

Is there any information i can give you from the WIN 7 x32 i can boot from that might be of help?
Yes, please have a look into the "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers" and - if applicable - the "Storage Controllers" sections of the Device Manager.

Which Controllers do you see there? Please post just the names.

Another question you didn't yet answer to: Did you really get a BSOD, when you tried to boot off the original XP x64 CD after having set the SATA Controllers to "IDE" mode?

Edited by Fernando 1

I got a fujitsu amilo 1505 pi laptop and when I try to add this driver http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=17883&ProdId=2300〈=eng&OSVersion=Windows%20XP%20Professional*&DownloadType=Utilities%2C%20Tools%20and%20Examples to the win xp cd the nLite gives this error:

Cablib compress ERROR : Could not flush cabinet : Could not create a temporary file

Error 13: Invalid data

And while copying files during windows installation it says it can't copy iaahci.inf, and I get a blue screen at the end of the installation. I realy would appreciate any help given.

I got a fujitsu amilo 1505 pi laptop and when I try to add this driver http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=17883&ProdId=2300〈=eng&OSVersion=Windows%20XP%20Professional*&DownloadType=Utilities%2C%20Tools%20and%20Examples to the win xp cd the nLite gives this error:

Cablib compress ERROR : Could not flush cabinet : Could not create a temporary file

Error 13: Invalid data

Why didn't you use one of the drivers I have linked within my guide (= start post of this thread)?

You have to unzip the downloaded driverpack before you present it for driver integration purpose.

And while copying files during windows installation it says it can't copy iaahci.inf, and I get a blue screen at the end of the installation.
Possible reasons:

1. usage of an already processed XP CD as source or loading of a previously created Last_Session.ini at the begin of the nLite processing

2. hitting F6 while booting of a Windows XP CD with integrated SATA AHCI/RAID driver

Ok I used the ones from your post and I got 8 errors like the one I mentioned above.

As for the part with the can't copy file, the only possible part from what you said could be the first half of your 1. , but I have been using this Win XP cd for years and it should be a clean copy.

I will try one more time and see if anything changed.

EDIT

Ok, with the cd made from the drivers on the first page, I got tons of errors when copying files, but I just switched the unmodified cd with the modified one and got past all of them without skipping any file. I'm hoping everything will work ok until the end

EDIT 2

Woot, it works. Thanks for your help. Love this site, helped me solve lots of problems.

Edited by Cry17