Integration of Intel's SATA AHCI and RAID drivers

Fernando 1

I think i misled you...when i say endless reboot...it doesnt do it on its own....its just when the CD finishes loading files it asks to reboot pc to continue / finish installation...its at that point that it gets back to the beginning of the XP install process....
Did you follow the advice "Hit any key to boot off the CDROM"? You should only do it, when you start the OS installation, not during the restarts while installing the OS.

Usually the first reboot comes after the user has decided, onto which hdd and partition the Setup should install the OS.

So this is the most important point: Did the XP Setup detect the SATA hdd or not, when you booted off the original Windows XP with integrated SP2 or SP3 after having set the SATA Controller to "Compatibility Mode"?

The error message after trying to install XP in AHCI mode is :

(BSOD)

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer......

Askes to check for viruses Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers...check drive to make sure it ois properly configured.....run chkdsk / f for corruption

Technical information:*** STOP: 0X0000007B (oxF78D2524, 0xC00000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

This error message means, that you have integrated a wrong SATA driver.

Regards

Fernando

Did you follow the advice "Hit any key to boot off the CDROM"? You should only do it, when you start the OS installation, not during the restarts while installing the OS.

No, it auto loads from cd...no asking me to hit any key......just goes straight into windows setup.....maybe cos its a formatted harddrive and theres no other option available? not sure

Usually the first reboot comes after the user has decided, onto which hdd and partition the Setup should install the OS.

So this is the most important point: Did the XP Setup detect the SATA hdd or not, when you booted off the original Windows XP with integrated SP2 or SP3 after having set the SATA Controller to "Compatibility Mode"?

I reset to compatibility mode...restarted pc with cd in drive...no prompt to press any key to boot from cd....It auto loads windows setup screen...bottom left window says setup is loading files......

Once files are loaded i get the welcome to setup screen *To setup windows XP now, press ENTER...then i get the User Agreemnet..click F8

Next screen i get i took a screen shot of for you.....as im not for sure its seeing the drive...seems to be if it lists the size ??

post-326211-0-61147500-1307994646_thumb.

I choose the C partition and hit enter...thne i get the "are u sure screen to continue" Press C.....pressing C then gives me the option to leave partition as is or format...it lists the same size mbs as the screen shot....If i choose "leave as is" i get the following screen....showing a previous install attempt.

post-326211-0-54328200-1307995332_thumb.

At this stage...if i choose a different folder...or if i formatted on previous screen the results are the same...loads windows files....then restarts pc only to find the cd and start the process all over again...if i remove the cd before it restarts i get this screen...

post-326211-0-79603000-1307995551_thumb.

This error message means, that you have integrated a wrong SATA driver.

I didnt intregrate any...just xp wth SP3 slipstreamed...guessing NO sata driver will get the same error as wrong sata driver?

@ tones:

It seems, that your XP installation problem has been caused by wrong BIOS settings.

The XP Setup tries to install the OS onto the Intel UNDI (= Universal Network Device Interface) via your LAN port. For details you may look >here<.

Please enter the BIOS and make sure, that the CDROM has been set as "First Boot Device" and the HDD as "Second BOOT Device". Try to disable all other listed BOOT Devices incl. "LAN".

After having done and saved the correct BIOS settings, retry to boot off the original XP CD with integrated SP3 (but without any third party drivers) in "Compatibility Mode" and look, what happens.

You should choose the offered NTFS partition 1 and let Setup do a quick format of it..

If the changed BIOS settings should not help, do the following:

1. After you have created a new and formatted partition for the XP installation wait until the reboot happens.
  2. At the beginning of the reboot press the key for entering the BIOS.
  3. Set the HDD as "First Boot Device", save this setting and let the computer reboot.

This should solve your problem.

Good luck!

Fernando

Edited by Fernando 1

The XP Setup tries to install the OS onto the Intel UNDI (= Universal Network Device Interface) via your LAN port. For details you may look >here<.

Checked that link but im afraid its above my pay grade...dont understand what its saying or asking me to do :(

As for everything else you asked me to do...followed it to the letter....

Booted from cd in compatibility mode....

post-326211-0-82814300-1308001572_thumb.

once files were loaded and it asked me to reboot i entered bios and mad HDD 1st boot option

post-326211-0-21181200-1308001586_thumb.

The same thing happened as before....didnt find copied files and started to do the install from scratch from the cd.....i stopped this and took out cd before it started to copy anything...restarted pc (no cd in drive) but then got that black screen error that i posted above

Godd dang it ....this is crazy :(

The same thing happened as before....didnt find copied files and started to do the install from scratch from the cd.....i stopped this and took out cd before it started to copy anything...restarted pc (no cd in drive) but then got that black screen error that i posted above

Disconnect USB memory or disable USB memory at BIOS.

Hi cdob.....thanks for your input :)

In the boot menu...5 is the usb memory...but it has no menu i can edit ....except move up or down the boot order....i do see under advanced tab "legacy USB support" im guessing thats not what you mean ?

In the boot menu...5 is the usb memory...but it has no menu i can edit ....except move up or down the boot order....i do see under advanced tab "legacy USB support" im guessing thats not what you mean ?

Task: there should be no USB at boot menu listed.

First disconnect all external devices.

Windows setup does write boot settings to first BIOS device.

I suspect BIOS set USB memory as first BIOS device.

Hence booting fails, because hard disk don't contains boot settings.

Detaled specs: http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/modelContent.jsp?ct=DL&os=&category=&moid=2145604&rpn=PSLB8U&modelFilter=L305-S5902&selCategory=2756709&selFamily=1073768663#contentArea

The card reader "4-in-1 Bridge Media Adapter" refers to a "Realtek RTS5121 USB Card Reader". Does "USB memory" refers to internal card reader?

Can you disable this device in BIOS?

It's your machine, I don't know this BIOS and can't suggest the required change.

Enable/disable "legacy USB support" may help or not.

Or disable USB altogether. This may require a unattended installation.

This is getting of topic here: you don't have a problem with Intel drivers.

Did you ever try to remove the XP-CD at the beginning of the reboot?

Yes....when the timer comes on screen warming of a reboot thats when ive removed it....so it has no chance on reboot finding the cd again and try to force it to see the files its supposedly copied to hard drive...did this in both modes...

This is getting of topic here: you don't have a problem with Intel drivers.

My apoligies...questions just led to more questions and here we are....

Ok...reading last few poists i began to get frustrated....so...restarted laptop..hit F2...reset BIOS back to shipped defaults....restarted pc with cd in drive....started loading windows then get the BSOD ...we know why...cos its defaulted back to AHCI mode.

Entered BIOS again...set to compatibility mode....saved...restarted pc with cd in drive....It WORKED !!!! it loaded files...restarted and continued on installing windows like it should have days ago !!

Look in BIOS....the ONLY changes i see are that the boot sequence is back to HDD as 1st boot..and its in compatibility mode. So i have NO friggin clue why it all of a sudden took. USB is still showing as boot option 5.....

Really appreciate all thye advice guys.....but im no wiser as to why its working now and not 3 days ago....

@ tones:

Although the last posts didn't have much to do with the topic of this thread, we are happy, that you were able at least to get Windows XP installed onto your laptop.

The only little disadvantage for you is the fact, that you are not able to use the AHCI features now, because you have set the SATA Controllers to "Compatibility Mode".

If you want to get Windows XP reinstalled while running the SATA Controller in "AHCI Mode", you have to load/integrate the correct SATA AHCI driver. So it may be a good idea to run the Device Manager, open the "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers" section and look for the HardwareID's of the listed "Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controllers" (right click onto them > "Properties" > "Details" > "Property" > "HardwareID's").

Please post them here and I will give you an advice, which driver you should take.

Regards

Fernando

@ Fernando 1

Really appreciate the follow up and offer of helping me get the laptop back in AHCI mode...i no longer have the laptop im afraid, my friend has gotten it back and is just soo happy to have it running again that as of right now he doesnt want to let it out of his sight :)

Thant said, if i get it back in my possession i will do as you requested and post the information you asked for.....i too would like to see it set back to AHCI.

Id still love to know why everything you asked me to try initially didnt seem to work.....and then all of a sudden hay presto.....*weird

Again, Thank you for all the help and advice

tones

@ tones:

Thanks for your cooperation and patience.

Id still love to know why everything you asked me to try initially didnt seem to work.....and then all of a sudden hay presto.....*weird
1. It took a long tim until I had checked, that your problems have been caused by wrong BIOS settings.

2. Generally notebooks have very poor BIOS settings, but the model of your friend additionally is extremely exotic. Furthermore the manual of the Toshiba L305-S5902 doesn't contain any word about the BIOS settings.

@ all:

Since Intel recently has published special RST drivers for their newest Z68 chipsets, I have just updated the start post of this thread.

Changelog:

• new: 32/64bit Intel RST drivers v10.5.0.1026 WHQL dated 04/26/2011
  • new: complete RST driver and software pack v10.5.0.1027 WHQL (already extracted)
  • new: Intel INF Update Utility (Intel chipset "drivers") v9.2.0.1030 WHQL (extracted and prepared for the integration)

Regards

Fernando

• 2 weeks later...

Hi!

I haven't used Nlite for quite some time. Now got a new board with Q67 on it. In BIOS you can choose only AHCI/RAID/Disable for SATA, so no IDE mode.

Install WinXP SP3 32 Bit from original cd brings me 0x7B BSOD after showing "...Starting Windows..." during text mode setup. The reason is easy to guess.

Then I downloaded the newest nlite and tried to integrate the newest RST F6 drivers into XP install source. This time, the "Starting windows" won't cause BSOD anymore, and the SATA HD was recognised. But then during the file copying in text mode, it then asks for nhelper.exe etc. incl. all the ahci.cat/sys/inf and iastor.* from F6 driver set. I had to press ESC to skip. But during GUI setup of windows, 0x7B BSOD comes.

I have tried F6 driver set from Intel, from the one from this site, and tried to include the chipset inf also, always the same. I used "Text Mode" when Nlite slipstreams the drivers. I tried "PnP" mode too, but this wont work because of the obvious reason. I then tried to slipstream them both in 2 session, the same GUI BSOD.(I guess this is the same as slipstreaming in "Text Mode").

And I tried ahci.inf and iastor.inf, both the same.

Ok, from my guess, the setup couldnt find the driver files for PnP driver and GUI Setup. I checked the install CD I created, all driver files are in correct directory as in the txtsetup.sif stated. I have no clue now what the reason could be.

Any hint would be welcome!

Btw. I use USB CD ROM for setup(actually a USB Stick refactored into a USB CD ROM and a write USB Stick). Could this be a problem? But why setup can copy the other windows files...

Edited by knoblauch

@ knoblauch:

This is what I recommend to do:

1. Create a folder named XPCD within the root of any partition (e.g. C:\XPCD).

2. Copy the content of the original XP CD into that folder.

3. Run nLite and let it do just the following tasks:

1. Integration of the Service Pack 3 (unless your source is already an XP SP3 one).
  2. Integration of the 32bit version of the Intel RST driver v10.6.0.1002 WHQL as TEXTMODE driver. You can get it from >here<. When you get the popup window, just highlight the listed "Intel® Desktop/Workstation/Server Express Chipset SATA AHCI Controller".
  3. Creation of the ISO file.

4. Burn the ISO file as bootable image.

5. Set the SATA mode of the destination system to "AHCI".

6. Boot off the freshly created XP-CD with integrated SP3 and Intel AHCI driver.

7. Install Windows XP.

Good luck!

Fernando

Thanks for the quick answer Fernando 1! I will try your method tomorrow. And yes, its already a SP3 CD.

Update:

Tried ur method, still the same. But then I found the real cause of the problem: There is another original xp cd in the other sata CD-ROM the whole time, which let the setup trying read source file from the first CD-ROM, the SATA one, not the USB one I modified, even it is booted from the USB one.

Removed the CD, booted from the USB, install runs without asking those AHCI driver files. But in the GUI section at startup, it tells some "asm" "incorrect parameter" error and stops. Looks like that it has problem reading the usb stick, even all the chipset inf are also integrated.

Whatever, I burned this as a CD and used the SATA CD-ROM, install works now, without a problem. I will look into the USB CD-ROM issue later.

Update2: the "asm" error was because of the USB stick. The ISO itself is no problem :)

Edited by knoblauch