Integration of Intel's SATA AHCI and RAID drivers

Fernando 1

@ GrofLuigi:

These new and not WHQL certified Intel RST AHCI/RAID drivers of the v10.5.x.xxxx series are especially designed for Intels upcoming Z68 chipset mainboards.

Nevertheless I have already tested the actually available AHCI driver v10.5.0.1015 with both of my Intel ICH10R and ICH P55 chipset desktop pc's. So far they are running fine.

If you are interested in the benchmark results with these drivers running in AHCI mode, you can find them within the post on top of >this< page, but the text is in German language.

As soon as I get access to the WHQL certified version of these new AHCI/RAID drivers, I will add them to my guide (= start post of this thread).

Regards

Fernando

Edited by Fernando 1

Comparison:

RST 10.1.2.1004:

u3Vlm.png

RST 10.5.0.1015:

yWnGi.png

It gives interesting results when the two images are overlaid on top of each other (I don't know how to do that in the forum). The difference is small, but maybe there is some other factor to "snappines" of the OS. I can feel it, I swear. :angel

I have older Intel® ICH9M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller.

*Edit: For anyone interested, I'm attaching a comparison of nine MSM/RST versions on this laptop. All tests were done under similar conditions (install driver, reboot, clean up, test). The test results within one version were reproducible. RST 10.1.5.1001 seems the best, but all differences are minimal.

GL

Intel_RST.rar

Edited by GrofLuigi

• 1 month later...

Hello everybody, I've just registered to this forum to tell my experience in installing WinXP with RAID/AHCI in a new Sandy Bridge machine with a P67 chipset, more specifically, an Intel DP67BG board (BIOS v.1900) with Core i5 2500K processor.

I have looked for it on the Internet and was unable to find a solution, even here. So I decided to contribute to this topic which seems to be the most important source of information on this subject.

This lack of infomation makes me suspect that no one has ever tried to install WinXP using RAID/AHCI with a P67 or H67 chipset.

The DP67BG board has 6 SATA ports controlled by the chipset, and an additional eSATA port controlled by a Marvell chip (which I'm not using yet). I was trying to install Windows XP Professional SP2 using an IDE optical drive, connected via IDE-USB external adapter. I tried two different HDDs, one regular SATA and other IDE connected via IDE-SATA internal converter (this proved to be no problem).

Following the directions from here and elsewhere, I slipstreamed the latest Intel "floppy" drivers and nothing worked. I always got the infamous blue screen (7B error) at the "Setup is starting Windows" phase of the textmode setup. Then I tried to include only the driver (supposedly) needed, "Intel® Desktop/Workstation/Server Express Chipset SATA AHCI Controller", and again BSOD at the same point. The only working configuration was to set the SATA interface to "IDE". This happened regardless of the HDD connected.

Finally I found a setup that worked. I decided to try RAID, since the board's manual says nothing about AHCI (but has instructions to setup WinXP with RAID) and also an older driver, since I had read there are sometimes incompatibilities with newer drivers.

So I obtained a 10.1.0.1008 driver set (from AsRock website, since Intel does not provide older drivers) and made a slipstream with only the Desktop/Workstation... RAID driver. I also added SP3. Set the interface in RAID and voilà.... Windows XP installed without flaws.

(update: after that I verified that these are the same drivers mentioned on the first page of this topic)

However, setting the SATA interface to IDE or AHCI still crashes WinXP on boot. I'm not very worried about because as I read, the RAID mode includes AHCI functionality.

Update: I managed to make IDE mode work by enabling the external SATA controller, as it defaults to IDE, it makes WinXP install the "missing" drivers on the next boot. This can be done with any board that has more than one SATA controller.

In the meantime, I also tested the modified WinXP installations with a netbook with an Intel 945 chipset (ICH7M). I got BSOD with the unmodified setup and also with only the "Desktop..." driver included, but it worked with the all the (latest) drivers. So I concluded that the setup does not need to have only the specific driver, it is able to pick up the right one in the package.

I still have to research what made the "magic" work. I still don't know if it was the older driver (my main suspect), SP3, or both.

update: The "magic" was done by Service Pack 3. It seems to be REQUIRED to AHCI/RAID work on Sandy Bridge chipsets.

However, ICH7M does not need it. The netboook's BIOS config screen reminds of SP1 instead.

Here a summary of the configurations tested:

As expected, when the machine is set to IDE, all configurations work. And the untouched WinXP installation always crashes with AHCI set.

Including ALL Intel 10.5.0.1027 (latest) drivers:

Netbook, set to AHCI = WORKS

DP67BG, set to AHCI = BSOD

DP67BG, set to RAID = BSOD

Including only "Intel® Desktop/Workstation/Server Express Chipset SATA AHCI Controller", 10.5.0.1027

Netbook, set to AHCI = BSOD

Including SP3 and "Intel® Desktop/Workstation/Server Express Chipset SATA RAID Controller", 10.1.0.1008

Netbook, set to AHCI = BSOD

DP67BG, set to RAID = WORKS

Including ALL Intel 10.1.0.1008 drivers:

Including SP3 and ALL Intel 10.5.0.1027 (latest) drivers:

DP67BG, set to AHCI = WORKS

DP67BG, set to RAID = WORKS

Last but not least, shame on Intel that don't point out the right driver for each board/chipset. They only make only generic driver packages and generic documentation. It would be a minor problem in a "regular" installation using floppies, where one could find the right driver by trial and error easily, but when we need to modify a XP install to include the drivers, it becomes really painful.

update: Later I found this topic with a method to put the WinXP setup on a USB drive, it makes experimentation easier by eliminating the need to burn CD-Rs, but it still takes a lot of time.

Edited by rsnetto

After some further tests, I finally discovered the trick. Service Pack 3 is required to install Windows XP on a machine with P67 chipset (and probably H67 too, maybe even Z68).

I tested drivers 10.1.0.1008 without SP3 and got BSOD. Latest drivers (10.5.0.1027) with SP3 worked.

So if you want to install XP on a Sandy Bridge machine you'll need to integrate SP3 and the Intel drivers. Driver version is not important as soon as they are recent enough, and also is not necessary to "isolate" a specific one, you may integrate the full pack.

Again, the SP3 requirement is not mentioned anywhere in the Intel documentation.

I'm updating the previous post to reflect the conclusions.

Edited by rsnetto

@ rsnetto:

Thanks for your detailed reports about your experiences with the installation of Windows XP onto an Intel "Sandy Bridge" chipset by using different Intel AHCI driver versions and thanks for the information, that the driver integration worked after having slipstreamed the Service Pack 3.

Since I am going to update the start post of this thread within the next days by presenting the newest Intel AHCI/RAID drivers v10.5.0.1026, I will add your finding about how to prevent problems with the XP installation onto Intel P67/H67/Z68 chipset systems running their SATA hdds/SSD's in AHCI or RAID mode..

Regards

Fernando

Strangely, Intel has withdrawn 10.5.0.1027 from P67/H67 support pages. It is still available, but only for Z68 and Q67 boards. For the others, 10.1.0.1008 is listed again as "Latest".

Edited by rsnetto

@ rsnetto:

Thanks for your information.

So I will wait with the intended update of my start post until Intel has presented new official RST drivers, which can be used with all Intel Southbridges from ICH7R/M up..

Regards

Fernando

Hi Guys, appreciate any help you can give to help me try get XP pro installed on a toshiba L305-S5902 model PSLB8U-002003. It originall shipped with vista but became hosed with spyware / virus then the owner tried resetting it to factory restore...unfortunetly he somehow formatted the drive and hidden recover partition and so im trying to get at least xp installed for him.

So before coming here and finding this thread i didnt realise the failed install was down to sata drivers ( i think )...windows would load files...reboot and do it all over again....in both AHCI and Compatibility mode....

Then i tried creating a slipstreamed cd using the information in the start of this thread......ive tried 3 different custom cds and all have same effect....rebots pc and tries to start install over again....

My latest attempt and adding drivers to the cd had the following

32bit Intel MSM AHCI & RAID driver v8.9.8.1005 mod by Fernando

32bit Intel MSM AHCI & RAID driver v8.9.8.1005 WHQL

32bit Intel RST AHCI & RAID driver v10.1.0.1008 mod by Fernando

Intel chipset drivers v9.1.1.1027 WHQL for integration

JMB36X_WinDrv_R1.17.62_WHQL

JMB36X_WinDrv_R1.17.62_WHQL_eSATA

Did i miss something ?? or am i adding too many to get the install to work....Im not 100% sure ho i can find out the exact drive combo i need to add to the cd....appreciate ANY help anyone can give.....

tones

@ tones:

Welcome at MSFN Forums!

Unfortunately I didn't find the model L305-S5902 at Toshiba's web sites. So I was unable to verify the chipset and Southbridge details of this computer.

Nevertheless I will try to give you some advices:

• For a proper XP installation onto a pc/notebook with unknown SATA Controller details you need an original (=untouched) XP CD with integrated SP2 or SP3 as source.
  • If you have set the SATA Controller to "IDE" mode (= "Compatibility" mode) within the BIOS, you don't need to integrate/load any third party SATA AHCI or RAID driver.
  • For a successful XP installation it is not necessary to integrate any third party chipset driver. If the SATA Controller has been set to "AHCI" or "RAID" mode, you have to integrate just the suitable SATA (AHCI or RAID) driver.
  • If you want to get XP installed in "AHCI" or "RAID" mode, but you are unsure regarding the manufacturer of the on-board SATA AHCI/RAID Controller, you can veryfiy it by doing a test installation of Windows XP in "IDE" or "Compatibility" mode. Once the OS is up, run the Device Manager and check the HardwareID's of the "Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller", where the SATA hdd is connected (right click onto the Controller > "Properties" > "Details" > "Property" > "HardwareID's"). The vendor of the Controller can be identified by the "VEN_xxxx" code (VEN_8086 is Intel, VEN_197B is JMicron etc.).

Here are some further questions:

1. Is the XP CD you used as source for the preocessing with nLite really untouched?
    Look into the i386 directory of the source CD for a file named WINNT.SIF. If you should find such file, the CD is not an original MS one and not suitable for the integration of any third party SATA driver.
  2. Did you ever try to get XP installed by booting off the original (untouched) XP CD in "Compatibility Mode"? If yes, did the XP Setup detect the hdd of the system?
  3. At which stage of the XP installation did you get the infinite reboot loop?
  4. Has the SATA hdd been detected by the XP Setup at all?

Regards

Fernando

Edited by Fernando 1

@ Fernando 1, Thank you for the welcome and the time you took to reply to my cry for help :)

Unfortunately I didn't find the model L305-S5902 at Toshiba's web sites. So I was unable to verify the chipset and Southbridge details of this computer.

Not sure if you will be able to open this url...

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/modelContent.jsp?modelFilter=&rpn=PSLB8U&category=&selCategory=2756709&moid=2145604&os=&ct=DL&selFamily=1073768663

Is the XP CD you used as source for the processing with nLite really untouched?

Look into the i386 directory of the source CD for a file named WINNT.SIF. If you should find such file, the CD is not an original MS one and not suitable for the integration of any third party SATA driver.

As far as i can tell it is an original, does not have that WINNT.SIF file, but does have some other winnt files....

WINNT.EXE / WINNT32.EXE / WINNT32.HLP / WINNT32.MSI / WINNT32A.DLL / WINNT32U.DLL / WINNTBBA.DLL / WINNTBBU.DL_ / WINNTBBU.DLL / Folder named WINNTUPG

Did you ever try to get XP installed by booting off the original (untouched) XP CD in "Compatibility Mode"? If yes, did the XP Setup detect the hdd of the system?

Yes, tried in both modes...not sure if it detected the hdd, but going to say no....as after the files are loaded from cd and it restarts in tries to start the process over again with cd in drive....with no cd in drive after restart (and files allegedly loaded) i get a error of sorts no boot device found.....

At which stage of the XP installation did you get the infinite reboot loop?

After XP copies / loads its files for install and restarts the machine

Has the SATA hdd been detected by the XP Setup at all?

Not sure...sorry. :(

For a proper XP installation onto a pc/notebook with unknown SATA Controller details you need an original (=untouched) XP CD with integrated SP2 or SP3 as source.

Opps...could this be the problem.....its not got any service packs slip streamed into the cd ! * missed that bit in your instructions i guess !! Will try figure out what service pack i need to download and how to integrate into cd with Nlite.....will let you know later today if successful at this task.

Again, thank you for your help...

tones

@ Fernando 1, Just downloaded and slipstreamed SP3 into my disk and tried in compatibility mode, loaded the files and the cd restarted the machine with same results...it finds the cd again and thinks its installing / copying files for teh 1st time...so just loops around again. *dang it !!! though it mightve fixed its self with SP3 ..lol

In AHCI mode i get a blue screen BSOD 0X0000007B

@ tones:

Try to get the complete error message, when the OS installation ends with the endless reboot. Just hit F8 while rebooting and choose the advanced option "Don't reboot at system failure". Maybe we will get more informations about the issue this way..

Another thoughts:

1. How much RAM is inside the Toshiba system? If it is more than 3 GB, try to remove 1 or 2 RAM modules beforre you restart the XP installation. Once the OS is up, you can reinsert it.

2. Did you check the BIOS settings regarding the bootable devices and the "HARD DISK BOOT PRIORITY"? The CDROM should be the first and the hdd the second bootable device, but the SATA hdd should be o top of the HARD DISK BOOT PRIORITY.

Regards

Fernando

Edited by Fernando 1

HI

Try to get the complete error message, when the OS installation ends with the endless reboot. Just hit F8 while rebooting and choose the advanced option "Don't reboot at system failure". Maybe we will get more informations about the issue this way..

I think i misled you...when i say endless reboot...it doesnt do it on its own....its just when the CD finishes loading files it asks to reboot pc to continue / finish installation...its at that point that it gets back to the beginning of the XP install process....

The error message after trying to install XP in AHCI mode is :

(BSOD)

A problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer......

Askes to check for viruses Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers...check drive to make sure it ois properly configured.....run chkdsk / f for corruption

Technical information:*** STOP: 0X0000007B (oxF78D2524, 0xC00000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

1. How much RAM is inside the Toshiba system? If it is more than 3 GB, try to remove 1 or 2 RAM modules beforre you restart the XP installation. Once the OS is up, you can reinsert it.

2 sticks of 1GB (2gb's)

2. Did you check the BIOS settings regarding the bootable devices and the "HARD DISK BOOT PRIORITY"? The CDROM should be the first and the hdd the second bootable device, but the SATA hdd should be o top of the HARD DISK BOOT PRIORITY.

Boot Screen shows the following

1. CD/DVD TSSTcorp CDDVDW TS-L633P (S4)

2. HDD FUJITSU MH22160BH G1 (S1)

3. FDD (no entries)

4. LAN (no entries)

5. USB Memory (no entries)