Integration of Intel's SATA AHCI and RAID drivers

Fernando 1

Hello Jim,

on behalf of other users with an Intel P67 chipset mainboard, who may run into the same problem as you, I want to thank you for your interesting and detailed workaround about how you solved it.

There are still some details, which I don't really understand:

1. Are you sure, that your Intel P67 mainbpard has an Intel ICH10R Southbridge?
    According to my knowledge all P67 have an Intel 6-series Express Southbridge. The related AHCI Controller should be the "Intel® Desktop/Workstation/Server Express Chipset SATA AHCI Controller" and not the ICH10R one.
  2. Why did you put the Intel SATA RAID Controller into the registry?
    If you want to use your SATA hdd in "AHCI" mode, you have to enable the Intel SATA AHCI Controller and not the RAID one.

Please have a look into the Device Manager. Which Controller names do you see within the "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers" and - if applicable - within the "SCSI and RAID Controllers" section?

Regards

Fernando

Hello Jim,

on behalf of other users with an Intel P67 chipset mainboard, who may run into the same problem as you, I want to thank you for your interesting and detailed workaround about how you solved it.

According to my knowledge all P67 have an Intel 6-series Express Southbridge. The related AHCI Controller should be the "Intel® Desktop/Workstation/Server Express Chipset SATA AHCI Controller" and not the ICH10R one.

I confirm what you say, Fernando. I've done two installation :
    - in the first trial, i've added every driver proposed for the text mode. After completing my installation, Windows recgnize it as "Intel® Desktop/Workstation/Server Express Chipset SATA RAID Controller" (since I do have a Raid configuration with a system installed on a single SSD. (note for Jim : I have a P8P67-M Pro and all my HDDs are plugged on the P67 chipset ports).
    - in the second trial, I just added "Intel® Desktop/Workstation/Server Express Chipset SATA RAID Controller" and it still works properly.
    I also added in every tril the INF file as you described in the first post (part 6 on the operating mode).
    I hope it will help you, Jim.
    Fernando, I will describe the whole building of the nlite Windows CD in this topic. If you want to update the first post to describe the specifities of the P67, it should help.
    Regards,
    Eddi
Edited by EddiNathan

Hi Fernando

Are you the same Fernando who had moded driver packs for the nforce2 long time ago? :P If so, long time no see XD (i know you from another forum tho, nforceHQ or somethign like that i think :P)

On to more importan matters:

NETBOOK:

Exomate x912

Intel ICH7M/MDH

atom n270

1gb ddr2

Intel Value SSD 2gb (which, to my knowledge, can't be connected to ANYTHING but this fraking netbook)

Problem/s:

I had to wipe the ssd of this machine. It belongs to one of my mother's friends, it was used for her daughters school, it had BIOS and Windows administrator paswords, and the school refused to reveal them (or so they say, weird, if you ask me, cause it was bought by them and later handled to the school...)

I can't, for the life of me, install windows XP on it again.

If i integrate NO driver, i get the 0x0000007B BSOD early on the text mode part of the installation.

I then tried integrating several versions of the intelINF, and the text mode part went ok, i was able to select the valueSSD drive, format and copy files to it, but after the reboot, when the netbook loads the WINDOWS XP boot screen for the first time, before the graphical instalation begins, again the 0x0000007B BSOD.

I then found a guide telling me to only integrate the textmode driver for MY hardware, and i did so, with the one provided on that guide. (it was older than what is now posted here).

When i did it, i got an error that was posted here (and by googling it, i got here :P)

BAD_POOL_HEADER

***STOP: 0x00000019 (0x00000020, 0xF8471538, 0xF8471B50, 0xCCC35D5B)

*** acpi.sys - Address F8471538 base at F845B000, DateStamp 480252b1

*** acpi.sys - Address F8471B50 base at F845B000, DateStamp 480252b1

I then downloaded as many intel texmode drivers as i could find, and tired a few from this thread. So far, i either keep getting the 0x0000007B BSOD when windows tries to load the GUI part of the installation, or the BSOD i quoted.

I have tried so far (when i don't mention the BSOD, its the 0x0000007B one)

AHCI_v7.0.0.1020_for_ICH8 -> 0x00000019 BSOD

f6flpy3288 (8.8.0.1009)

f6flpy96x86 (9.6.0.1014) -> 0x00000019 BSOD

32bit_Intel_textmode_driver_v8.9.0.1023_mod_by_Fernando

32bit Intel RST AHCI & RAID driver v10.1.0.1008 WHQL

32bit Intel RST AHCI & RAID driver v10.1.0.1008 mod by Fernando

Each time starting with a fresh CD.

Im kinda lost by now, thinking about instaling lubuntu on it, and asking for forgiveness...

I also tried to install on a 16gb sd on mine, cause the netbook has a card reader, but then windows wont boot into the GUI part of the installation, complaining about a problem with hal.dll, and no boot.ini fidling fixed that either :(

I played with "fixboot" and "fixmbr" from the recovery console also.

Whatsmore, Exo is a local brand, and it offress NO support, no downloads, no nothing...

-----------

Edit: the netbook has NO cd reader, i use an external USB dvdrw

Edited by Sesshoumaru

@ Sesshoumaru:

It is not easy for me to help you, because you obviously are using a very exotic netbook with a very exotic SSD.

Assuming, that the Intel SATA Controllers of your netbook are set to "AHCI" mode, I recommend to do the following:

1. Connect the SSD with the first of the SATA ports (usually port0).
  2. Download >this< driver package and unzip it (don't use the desktop as storage place!).
  3. Let nLite integrate the prepared driver as textmode driver.
  4. When you get the driver integration popup window, just check the listed "Intel® ICH7M/MDH SATA AHCI Controller".
  5. Let nLite create the ISO file and burn the XP CD as bootable image.
  6. Boot off the XP CD and look what happens.

Good luck!

Fernando

Hello Jim,

2. Why did you put the Intel SATA RAID Controller into the registry?
    If you want to use your SATA hdd in "AHCI" mode, you have to enable the Intel SATA AHCI Controller and not the RAID one.

Please have a look into the Device Manager. Which Controller names do you see within the "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers" and - if applicable - within the "SCSI and RAID Controllers" section?

Regards

Fernando

Hello Fernando,

I am reasonably sure that the ASUS P8P67 LE motherboard has the ICH10R Southbridge.

Here is the Intel RST log file,

http://www.datafilehost.com/download-e1d0c1f2.html

If I understand you correctly, Then either the options are to run my system is AHCI or in RAID mode and there is not an option to run AHCI+RAID?

The Device Manager states: Intel® Desktop/Workstation/Server Express Chipset SATA AHCI Controller Driver Version 10.1.0.1008

According to the Intel RST (Rapid Storage Technology) GUI it conveys that AHCI+RAID is available on the system.

As for the reason of the reg edit inserting the SATA RAID controller into the registry. It just happened to work out after doing so. Dumb luck I guess or it might be it is not necessarily needed..

Curiosity is killing the cat and having a fresh pair of 1 TB SATA hard drives for my anticipated RAID array. I will attempt the same installation on one of the fresh SATA drives without the registry modification. Reason being to determine if the reg. mod may not be all that necessary.

Before that is attempted, There is a Golf match in Georgia that needs to be purveyed on my end.

Thanks again for all of your invaluable help and direction.

Just another nuance of something I noticed which is not directly related to this topic, When starting Win XP in IDE mode. The start-up time from boot was about 30+seconds and when in (what I may think) AHCI mode is 8 seconds.

Best regards

Jim

Edited by jimbra

Hello Jim,

thanks for your reply.

I am reasonably sure that the ASUS P8P67 LE motherboard has the ICH10R Southbridge.
I am sorry, but you are wrong. All Intel P67 chipset mainboards have an Intel® 6-series Express chip as Southbridge and the related AHCI Controller is named "Intel® Desktop/Workstation/Server Express Chipset SATA AHCI Controller".

If your mainboard really would have an Intel ICH10R Southbridge and you are running your hdd/SSD in "AHCI" mode, you would see a device named "Intel® ICH10R SATA AHCI Controller" within the "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers" section of the Device Manager.

This log file doesn't contain any information, which verifies, that your mainboard has an Intel ICH10R chip as Southbridge.
If I understand you correctly, Then either the options are to run my system is AHCI or in RAID mode and there is not an option to run AHCI+RAID?
The AHCI features are supported by both SATA options ("AHCI" and "RAID" mode).
The Device Manager states: Intel® Desktop/Workstation/Server Express Chipset SATA AHCI Controller Driver Version 10.1.0.1008

According to the Intel RST (Rapid Storage Technology) GUI it conveys that AHCI+RAID is available on the system.

That s absolutely correct.
Just another nuance of something I noticed which is not directly related to this topic, When starting Win XP in IDE mode. The start-up time from boot was about 30+seconds and when in (what I may think) AHCI mode is 8 seconds.
That is why I recommend to avoid the "IDE" mode of the SATA Controller, if it supports the "AHCI" mode too.

Regards

Fernando

@ Sesshoumaru:

It is not easy for me to help you, because you obviously are using a very exotic netbook with a very exotic SSD.

Assuming, that the Intel SATA Controllers of your netbook are set to "AHCI" mode, I recommend to do the following:

1. Connect the SSD with the first of the SATA ports (usually port0).
  2. Download >this< driver package and unzip it (don't use the desktop as storage place!).
  3. Let nLite integrate the prepared driver as textmode driver.
  4. When you get the driver integration popup window, just check the listed "Intel® ICH7M/MDH SATA AHCI Controller".
  5. Let nLite create the ISO file and burn the XP CD as bootable image.
  6. Boot off the XP CD and look what happens.

Good luck!

Fernando

Well, that one, i haven't tried :P

for the record:

1) BIOS has NO settings for the "sata" port (i guess it auto runs in AHCI mode, i would have no problems otherwise :P)

2) Netbook has just 1(one) "sata" port

3) i say "sata" like that, because its some "custom" sata port, it has just 7 pins (2 rows of 4 pins, with one cut out). The intel value ssd, is ultra tiny, it has like.. 2 or 4 flash chips, and measures les than 6x10 centimeters

4) i always integrated drivers as textmode once i found the guide, and then this thread

5) i always did that, and will repeat with this last driver you provided

hope it works.

if not, lubuntu installed just fine, its no windows, but... its better than windows XP with a locked administrator pasword :P

Ok, no 0x00000019 error, now loading files into sdd drive, lets hope it works...

will edit in a few minutes, 71% done

-------

EDIT:

BUUUUUUUUuuuuuuuu

0x0000007B when the GUI part of the installation tries to run...

I wonder if there could be aditional "non-textmode" drivers i must use :(

back to lubuntu, i think :P

Edited by Sesshoumaru

Hello Jim,

Regards

Fernando

Dear Fernando,

First of all I would like to convey and express my sincere gratitude for all of your help and information,

It is rare that "anyone" will return a response within any forum. When they have been profoundly helped by one that knows the answer after they have been helped. They just move on and never reply with either a "thanks" or "here is how you helped me fix my problem".

Quite frankly I consider this behavior described above. Very "RUDE" and "disrespectful" to those that confoundedly help when anyone asks for help.

Fernando you knew the proper answer and respectfully replied with unconditional respect. Of course you already know that about yourself. That is called "Integrity".

Getting back to whether the Intel driver's need to be sliptreamed with the nLite and Win XP SP3 for the P67 chip-set as described in the workaround. After a clean install with "fresh" hardware and properly Nlite slipstreamed software, The most recent Intel full set of drivers "are" needed or your modified version (which work more effectively).

The reg mod is absolutely needed after installing win XP in ide mode. Then changing to AHCI mode as described in the initial post for the solution.

Hope this helps anyone running into this issue,

Best regards and thanks'

Jim

@ Sesshoumaru:

After having red all your posts again I suspect, that your XP CD, which you were using as source for all your tests, is not clean (=untouched).

If i integrate NO driver' date=' i get the 0x0000007B BSOD early on the text mode part of the installation.[/quote']Usually you only get this BSOD after having integrated a wrong driver.

Since you got the BSOD, although you didn't integrate any driver, I suspect, that the XP CD you used as source contains already one or more "wrong" third party textmode drivers.

Please have a look into the i386 directory of your "original" XP CD. If you see a file named WINNT.SIF, it is not a really original one and has been processed before.

Regards

Fernando

@ Sesshoumaru:

After having red all your posts again I suspect, that your XP CD, which you were using as source for all your tests, is not clean (=untouched).

If i integrate NO driver' date=' i get the 0x0000007B BSOD early on the text mode part of the installation.[/quote']Usually you only get this BSOD after having integrated a wrong driver.

Since you got the BSOD, although you didn't integrate any driver, I suspect, that the XP CD you used as source contains already one or more "wrong" third party textmode drivers.

Please have a look into the i386 directory of your "original" XP CD. If you see a file named WINNT.SIF, it is not a really original one and has been processed before.

Regards

Fernando

are you sure about that ? i have a clean SP2 corporate cd (from my work) and also a cd that has "multiboot options" (live windows xp cd, windows xp recovery console) and a few more, with NO drivers, and all of them net me the 0x0000007B. Integrating wrong drivers seems to give me 0x00000019 on the text mode part of the instalation (before you can even choose where to install).

Integrating NO drivers should logically give the 0x0000007B BSOD on the Text Mode part of the installation because the installer fails to see the HDD (thats what that BSOD is supposed to mean anyways).

What i DON'T get, is why integrating intelINF "drivers" or "wrong" text mode drivers both give me the 0x0000007B BSOD before the GUI part of the installation starts (my only guess, is that there are no "gui drievers" available and so, the installer no longer sees the drive the Text Mode installer was able to see...

I'll try to integrate your last driver to the xp sp2 corporate (totally clean) cd tho, its worth a shot.

Integrating NO drivers should logically give the 0x0000007B BSOD on the Text Mode part of the installation because the installer fails to see the HDD (thats what that BSOD is supposed to mean anyways).
That is not correct.

If you are booting off an origial (=untouched) XP CD without having integrated or loaded any drivers, you will never get a BSOD (unless there is a severe hardware issue). The only thing which may happen is, that your hdd/SSD will not be detected by the XP Setup.

Regards

Fernando

Hi Fernando,

I have a problem installing Xp32 through the Marvell 6121 eSATA. I can get as far as two thirds of the blue ribbon on the first lap in detecting and instlling devices. I had the same problem with Xp64 so I used the orange silicon image sata ports in drive expert single mode. and was able to install. I would like to use those ports for two SSDs in raid which leaves me with the Marvell. Any thoughts?

ASUS P5Q-E

AHCI10R

wxpsp3ao2.ini

crap exo

and crap me, i no longer have windows xp cds arround, i even discarded many original cds some time ago from work, since we had the serials of each machine, and i always burn a new updated ISO...

No matter what "clean untouched" windows xp i download, it always detects the drive in the GUI part (no drivers integrated by me), and 0x0000007B later on.

I was able to contact EXO, they offered to give me a custom build of XP with the proper drivers integrated (i must take a 2gb pendrive tho).

Its a long trip to their office, i don't know why they can't just TELL me what driver to use :/

I just wanted to share some info.

New RST 10.5.0.1015 appeared on Station Drivers. From my testing (on live system, just reinstalling the driver), it seems slower than previous 10.1.2.1004. I will revert back and test again with HD Tune, and report back of course.

Also, there is some problem with its digital signature - it appears as not signed. So, I'd not recommend this driver for now.

This is my subjective opinion.

GL