Integration of Intel's SATA AHCI and RAID drivers

Fernando 1

@ Schmiddy:

Welcome at MSFN Forums!

But now i'm confrontet with a new problem: I wanted to get acces to the Internet and to my usb-media, so i decided to install my chipset-drivers as i'm used to. So I startet these one:"INF_allOS_9.1.2.1008_PV.exe". The installation worked properly and finished with the request for a restart. I did so. But my os didn't start up again and the whole Windowsinstallation could start again. No my SSD has finished it's installation (I'm tiping from my HDD in IDE-mode). So what to do now? Did these drivers kill my AHCI, or what happened?
I have no idea what happened, because I don't know what exactly you have done.

This is what I recommend to do:

1. Download an already extracted version of the Intel chipset device INF files (Intel chipset "drivers") from >here< and unzip it somewhere on your hdd (but outside the desktop).
  2. Create a new nLited XP CD according to my guide (you should start the procedure from scratch with a clean source!) and integrate just the Intel AHCI driver (as TEXTMODE), but additionally the prepared Intel chipset "drivers" (as PnP driver).
  3. Burn the ISO file as bootable Image.
  4. Enter the BIOS, set the Intel SATA Controllers to "AHCI" mode and make sure, that your SSD is on top of the "HARD DISK BOOT PRIORITY" settings.
  5. Boot off the freshly nLited XP CD.
  6. Once the XP installation is completed, you will have the OS on your SSD and all needed Intel drivers should be properly installed.

Good luck!

@ jangdini:

The complete Intel AHCI/RAID RST and INF Utility packages are EXE files, which cannot be unzipped by using a tool like WinRAR or 7-zip.

You can extract them nevertheless within the DOS-Box (or the "Run" command box) by using the parameters "xyz.exe -A -P C:\Intel" (without quotation marks).

After having completed the extraction you will find the extracted folders and files within the folder named "Intel" of your drive C:

To make it easier for you, I have linked already extracted packages of both EXE files (Intel RST and Chipset Device Software) within the start post of this thread.

I wanna ask how to integrate non-text mode sata ahci driver?
There is no "non-textmode SATA AHCI driver" available. The only Intel SATA AHCI driver is the one named IASTOR.SYS and part of the Intel RST/MSM driver package you have to integrate as TEXTMODE driver.

What you certainly mean is the Intel INF Update Utility (= Intel chipset device "drivers"/"software"), which doesn't contain a real driver, but just information files about how to manage the different Intel chipset system devices.

Regards

Fernando

Edited by Fernando 1

@jangdini

The driver has to be extracted. Either post the link to the driver or use the one already made by Fernando.

Edit: I just found your model on the Acer website; the AHCI driver seems to be packed in a newer version of Install Shield. However, the important thing is that its version is 8.9.4.1004, and Fernando has a newer version 9.6.0.1014. So, if you're really insisting on getting the version from Acer's website, I'll see what I can do.

Cheers

@Sp0iLedBrAt

Thanks for reply,

i have download the driver from acer website. It's packed in newer version of Install Shield.

Now, the problem is how to extract it? i tried to extract with some typical archieve software. it cannot be done.

Are there other way to get it extracted?

Regards,

@jangdini

please read post #976, Fernando has already answered it

@ jangdini:

The complete Intel AHCI/RAID RST and INF Utility packages are EXE files, which cannot be unzipped by using a tool like WinRAR or 7-zip.

You can extract them nevertheless within the DOS-Box (or the "Run" command box) by using the parameters "xyz.exe -A -P C:\Intel" (without quotation marks).

Cheers

Fernado,

Thanks for setting up these files for us. It's way easier to load them froom here rather than going

through intels swamp of what the hell.I have an ASUS Maximus Extreme MOBO with 6 internal

ICH9R Sothbridge Intel MSM SATA Ports and 2 external JM363 SATA ports

If possible I would like to run my internals in AHCI mode which means I would have connect one

of my internal optic drives to the external port to intall my drivers with the OS I don't know If I can

use the RST rivers or not but I guess they would be the better drivers.

AS I understand it I would have to change the IDE setting to AHCI in BIOS prior to install. I read

that when loading the TXT mode drivers in nLite to instal as single drivers not multiple, is that so.

Did I also understand that I can not mix TXT with PNP drivers on nLites driver list.

Could you please set me strait on all of this so I don't end up over my head before I know it.

I attached my User manual for your reference if needed

Well I guess the pdf is too large so here's the link

Edited by throbert

@ throbert:

Here are my answers:

1. Yes, you can use the RST driver v9.6.0.1014 WHQL. When you integrate it, just choose the listed device named "Intel® ICH9R/DO/DH SATA AHCI Controller".

2. Before you start with the OS installation, you have to enter the BIOS and to set the Intel SATA Controllers to "AHCI" mode.

3. I recommend to choose the single driver method.

4. It is no problem to integrate the Intel SATA AHCI driver (as TEXTMODE driver) and the Intel chipset "drivers" (as PnP drivers) one after the other into the same OS image.

Regards

Fernando

@ jangdini:

After having completed the extraction you will find the extracted folders and files within the folder named "Intel" of your drive C:

To make it easier for you, I have linked already extracted packages of both EXE files (Intel RST and Chipset Device Software) within the start post of this thread.

I wanna ask how to integrate non-text mode sata ahci driver?
There is no "non-textmode SATA AHCI driver" available. The only Intel SATA AHCI driver is the one named IASTOR.SYS and part of the Intel RST/MSM driver package you have to integrate as TEXTMODE driver.

What you certainly mean is the Intel INF Update Utility (= Intel chipset device "drivers"/"software"), which doesn't contain a real driver, but just information files about how to manage the different Intel chipset system devices.

Regards

Fernando

@ Fernando

Thanks for the explanation. I will try it.

I'm just curious, how windows knows the driver is exactly match with the hardware? Does in hardware contain some machine code? If so, can we change it?

As far as i know, windows save the driver in the XX:\windows or XX\windows\system or system32. If i want to uninstall the driver can we just simply deleted the *.sys file?

Regards,

Jangdini

I'm just curious, how windows knows the driver is exactly match with the hardware? Does in hardware contain some machine code?
Yes, Windows detects the specifications of the device (the Vendor ID and the Device ID = HardwareID) and compares it with the HardwareID list of the associated INF file.
If so, can we change it?
You cannot change the VendorID and the DeviceID of the hardware, but you can manually add the HardwareID to the INF file of a driver. This works with some devices.
As far as i know, windows save the driver in the XX:\windows or XX\windows\system or system32.
The in-use drivers are stored within the WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS folder of the OS partition.
If i want to uninstall the driver can we just simply deleted the *.sys file?
You will not be able to delete a driver, which is currently used by the OS, because it is a protected system file. Furthermore it wouldn't make sense to simply delete the SYS file as long as the registry entries still refer to it.

Regards

Fernando

@ all users with an Intel AHCI or RAID system:

Due to the fact, that Intel has released new official AHCI and RAID drivers v10.1.0.1008 at 17th December, I have just updated the first post of this thread again to make these brandnew drivers available for the integration according to my guide.

Changelog:

• new: 32/64bit Intel RST drivers v10.1.0.1008 WHQL dated 11/05/2010
  • new: modded 32/64bit Intel RST drivers v10.1.0.1008 (usable with all AHCI/RAID capable Intel Southbridges from ICH7 up)
  • new: Complete RST driver and software pack v10.1.0.1008 WHQL (already extracted)

Good luck with the integration of these new drivers!

Regards

Fernando

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Fernando, is there ANY way to integrate these drivers into an existing Windows (Vista) installation by somehow modifying registry files offline? (maybe booting PC using Bart-PE and running that magical program that will inject drivers).... Thank you!

@ hawk:

Welcome at MSFN Forums!

What you certainly mean is the Intel SATA Controller switch from IDE to AHCI mode without doing a fresh install of the OS.

Yes, that is possible, but I do not recommend to do it, because you may risk an unbootable system after having tried that. If you want to do it nevertheless, you will find a lot of workarounds in the World Wide Web.

The topic of this thread is the integration of the Intel AHCI and RAID drivers into a Windows XP CD and not a risky guide about how to avoid this procedure.

Regards

Fernando.

Edited by Fernando 1

• 1 month later...

I'm a bit confused about the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology and the Intel® Matrix Storage Manager driver downloads. From what I can tell, Intel changed the name from MSM to RST. So what is the difference between using one over the other except for the fact that that the RST drivers are newer than the MSM ones.

My laptop has an Intel® ICH9M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller that came with MSM drivers installed (8.9.2.1002). Do I need to stick with the MSM version or can I use the newer RST?

Thanks..

Edited by click-click

I'm a bit confused about the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology and the Intel® Matrix Storage Manager driver downloads. From what I can tell, Intel changed the name from MSM to RST. So what is the difference between using one over the other except for the fact that that the RST drivers are newer than the MSM ones.
That is not completely true. Intel didn't just change the names of the AHCI/RAID drivers, but the storage technology too.
My laptop has an Intel® ICH9M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller that came with MSM drivers installed (8.9.2.1002). Do I need to stick with the MSM version or can I use the newer RST?
You will be able to use them both, but it is not easy to say, which will be the better driver series for your system.

You probably have to find it out yourself. It is no problem at all to change the Intel AHCI driver from within a running OS (no need to uninstall the previously used driver).

Regards

Fernando