Integration of Intel's SATA AHCI and RAID drivers

Fernando 1

Hi Kelsenellenelvian,

OK I think I understand now what you asked. No I do not have resource material stating any hardware requirements for either SP2 or SP3, however I have read on a few sites about people saying they experience slower Windows XP after implementing SP3, and I have the same experience. I think this might be due to slower systems, maybe on a fast modern system you will not notice any difference between the performance of SP2 and SP3.

Jen

Edited by JenniferArden

I had a weird experience a few days ago, I created a XP CD with nlite and intgrated the latest intel SATA AHCI drivers (text mode) The CD works perfectly on a ACER 5732Z and Compaq CQ61 in AHCI mode, but on a Samsung R519 the XP CD fails with AHCI enabled. The drivers load and when it says Starting Windows the unit restarts and cant boot from the hard drive (I removed Windows 7) I tried a few times and also changed the BIOS to legacy / IDE but still not working. With a XP cd with no AHCI drivers integrated XP setup works flawlessly.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Jen

Edited by JenniferArden

Hello Jen,

the RST drivers are more sensitive concerning the integration of the correct SATA Controller than the MSM drivers.

Which special Southbridge (ICH chip) does your Samsung R519 have and which Controller did you choose while integrating the Intel SATA AHCI driver?

Regards

Fernando

Hi Fernando thank you for replying, The Samsung laptop has an Intel 82801IM-ICH9M South Bridge chip, I used the Intel RST textmode driver AHCI v9.6.0.1014 WHQL 32bit with Nlite, in Nlite I selected all the text mode chipset models / drivers for integration.

I used the Intel RST textmode driver AHCI v9.6.0.1014 WHQL 32bit with Nlite, in Nlite I selected all the text mode chipset models / drivers for integration.
You can do that with an Intel MSM driver, but not with an Intel RST driver. If you need the XP CD for a system with enabled AHCI mode, it is better, when you don't check any of the listed Intel SATA RAID Controllers. The safest option for RST drivers is to check just the specific Intel SATA AHCI Controller of your system.

So here is my advice:

• If you are going to create a Windows XP CD with integrated Intel textmode driver, which shall support Intel RAID and AHCI configurations and be usable with different computers/notebooks, you should integrate an Intel MSM driver.
  • The Intel RST driver is the best choice, if you need a Windows XP CD for just 1 single computer/notebook with an Intel Southbridge running in AHCI or RAID mode, but you should check the specific Intel SATA AHCI resp. RAID Controller while doing the integration.

Regards

Fernando

Hi Fernando, thank you very much for your advice, I will follow your advice, can you please tell met what RST and MSM means? Can you tell me where to download latest RST and MSM drivers for Intel and AMD? Does Nvidia or ATI also produce AHCI chips? I think I saw something about them also making AHCI chips. I would like to create an XP CD that will work on most PC's and laptop models.

Jen

can you please tell met what RST and MSM means?
Intel has developed 2 different technologies regarding the management of their SATA Controller chips. The first technology was named "Intel® Matrix Storage Manager" (=MSM), the newer one is named "Intel® Rapid Storage Technology" (=RST).

All Intel MSM and RST drivers have the same name (IASTOR.SYS) and can be used with all actual Intel AHCI and RAID systems, but their effect is quite different, especially when being used with SSD's.

Can you tell me where to download latest RST and MSM drivers for Intel and AMD?
You will find Intel's latest MSM driver and Intel's latest official RST drivers within the start post of this thread. Since the technologies MSM and RST are trademarks registered by Intel, you will not find any MSM or RST drivers developed or published by AMD.
Does Nvidia or ATI also produce AHCI chips?
Yes.
I would like to create an XP CD that will work on most PC's and laptop models.
If you want to do that, you should not use nLite, but the tool named DriverPacks Base and the DriversPacks method (look >here<).

Regards

Fernando

Hi Fernando, thank you for your help, I really appreciate it! So if I download the latest driverpack chipset will it include all the drivers from the previous packs and the latest drivers? And I use driverpacks base to integrate them into the source files of Windows XP? I assume I should download driverpack chipset for the RST and MSM chipsets? I have an older desktop pc with VIA P4M800 Pro North Bridge and VT8237 South Bridge, will this driverpack chipset include an updated driver for it? My current driver dates back to 2001 and its causing problems with lightscribe drive. I tried to find an updated driver but was unable to find one. Is it possible to integrate both RST and MSM drivers from Intel into XP source files with Nlite? If possible can thisXP CD perhaps then work on the Samsung R519?

Jen

Edited by JenniferArden

intgrated the latest intel SATA AHCI drivers (text mode) The CD works perfectly on a ACER 5732Z and Compaq CQ61 in AHCI mode, but on a Samsung R519 the XP CD fails with AHCI enabled.
I used the Intel RST textmode driver AHCI v9.6.0.1014 WHQL 32bit

As for testing purposes there are non official 10.0.0.1046 WHQL drivers.

http://www.station-drivers.com/page/intel%20raid.htm

So if I download the latest driverpack chipset will it include all the drivers from the previous packs and the latest drivers?
No, you won't find a driverpack, which includes all (previous and latest) drivers. Even if a driver set like the "mass storage" package offered by DriverPacks contain a lot of different AHCI and RAID drivers, there is always just 1 single driver (= SYS file) for all chipsets, which have been produced by the same manufacturer (1 driver for NIDIA chipsets, 1 driver for Intel chipsets etc.).

Nevertheless it is possible, that this single driver will work with a lot of different chipsets of the same manufacturer.

I assume I should download driverpack chipset for the RST and MSM chipsets?
You should download the tool DriverPacks BASE and the "Mass Storage" driverpack. Then you will get a Windows XP CD, which will be usable with a big variety of SATA Controllers.
I have an older desktop pc with VIA P4M800 Pro North Bridge and VT8237 South Bridge, will this driverpack chipset include an updated driver for it?
Probably yes.
Is it possible to integrate both RST and MSM drivers from Intel into XP source files with Nlite?
No, because the files have the same names and will be overwritten, if you would try to integrate them both.

Regards

Fernando

Edited by Fernando 1