Integration of Intel's SATA AHCI and RAID drivers

Fernando 1

i received this error during set up..-isapnp.sys is corrupted... :}
Is this just an unasked information for us or do you really want help?

Here is my comment:

1. The message you got has nothing to do with the topic of this thread.
  2. You only can expect help, if you give some basis infirmations about

1. your hardware configuration (chipset, SATA mode),
    2. the special OS source you are using,
    3. which drivers you have loaded/integrated and
    4. what sort of other processing tasks you or nLite have done with it.

Regards
      Fernando

Fernando

I want to install Windows XP 32-bit on a Dell Vostro 3400 notebook with the Intel HM57 Express chipset and a Core i3-330m CPU.

Having read through your excellent guide in the very first post, I wonder if you might offer a few pointers regarding the following:

(1) Which small driver package should I use for the HM57 Express, or do I need the complete Intel Rapid Storage package?

(2) If the complete Intel Rapid Storage package is needed, is there a step-by-step guide to accomplish the integration? I downloaded the latest package from Dell's support site but am not sure what files/folders to integrate with nLite.

(3) Is a complete Intel Rapid Storage package "universal" in the sense that it can be used on all desktop/notebook motherboards with any Intel chipset made in, say, the last four years?

Thanks in advance for your feedback and advice.

Luke

Edited by luke123

Questions:

1. RST is the new name for Intel Storage Matrix?

2. Are these newer drivers ATA/AHCI or just for raid?

3. I don't see support for ICH8M (mobile) -- is it supported?

Answers:

1. Yes, but it is a new technology and not only a new name.

2. The v9.5.6.1001 drivers do support all ICH SATA RAID and SATA AHCI Controllers from ICH7R/M up.

3. Yes. Here is the TXTSETUP.OEM line:

iaAHCI_8MEM	   = "Intel(R) ICH8M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller"

And here is the HardwareID line of the IAAHCI.INF for ICH8M (mobile) chips:

%PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2829&CC_0106.DeviceDesc% = iaStor_mobl_Inst, PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2829&CC_0106

I found the above post in Jan 2010 which presumably answers my query (3).

In particular, would the Intel 945GC chipset be supported by the Rapid Storage drivers?

Edited by luke123

@ all owners of a computer with an Intel S-ATA AHCI or Raid system:

4. How to get access to the "Intel® Rapid Storage Technology" Console:

• Once your OS is up, you will have full access to all partitions and files of your Intel RAID array or SATA hdd's/SSD's running in AHCI Mode, but you will not be able to run the "Intel® Rapid Storage Technology" Console, because the program files are still missing.
    Solution:
    • Users with an Intel RAID system should download and install the complete "Intel® Rapid Storage Technology" package, which contains the RST drivers and the Console application. For users, who are running their SATA hdd's/SSD's in AHCI Mode, the Console is less important, but they can install it as well (only disadvantage: prolonged boot time).
      Attention:
      You should take care, that the complete package is the same version as the driver, which have been integrated into the XP CD:
      • If you had integrated the 32/64bit v9.6.0.1014, you should download Intel's official v9.6.0.1014 package from >here<. Alternatively you may download the same, but already extracted RST package v9.6.0.1014 from >here<.

After having run the installer and a reboot you will have full access to the "Intel® Rapid Storage Technology" Console from within the running Windows OS.

[*]All other users have to install a suitable older version of the "Intel® Matrix Storage Manager". They will find it >here<.

Good luck!

Fernando

Trying to answer my own query (1), should I simply use the files in \Drivers\x32 (from the extracted RST package v9.6.0.1014 you provide - see above quote) for the SATA/AHCI driver only?

Can this small package work with both the HM57 Express and 945GC chipsets?

Thanks in advance!

(1) Which small driver package should I use for the HM57 Express, or do I need the complete Intel Rapid Storage package?
Answers:

1. As long as the SATA Controllers of your Notebook mainboard haven't been set to AHCI or RAID mode within the BIOS (SETUP), you do not need to integrate any driver or package from Intel.

2. If your SATA hdd is running in AHCI or RAID mode, you have to integrate just the small driver package. You can take the link to the v9.6.0.1014 WHQL certified 32bit (for XP) or 64bit (for XP x64)one.

(2) If the complete Intel Rapid Storage package is needed, is there a step-by-step guide to accomplish the integration? I downloaded the latest package from Dell's support site but am not sure what files/folders to integrate with nLite.
Not applicable, because the integration of the complete package is neither required nor useful.
(3) Is a complete Intel Rapid Storage package "universal" in the sense that it can be used on all desktop/notebook motherboards with any Intel chipset made in, say, the last four years?
No, the complete RST package, which includes the RST driver and the RST Console software, is not "universal":
  1. The RST driver is only needed, if your system has an actual Intel Southbridge from ICH7R/M up, which is running in AHCI or RAID mode. All other Intel related systems neither need nor are able to use the RST driver and the complete RST driver/application package.
  2. The Intel RST Console software can easily be installed by running the EXE file once the OS is up, but I only recommend to install it, if your are using the SATA Controllers in RAID mode.

Regards

Fernando

Answers:

2. If your SATA hdd is running in AHCI or RAID mode, you have to integrate just the small driver package. You can take the link to the v9.6.0.1014 WHQL certified 32bit (for XP) or 64bit (for XP x64)one.

Should I use only the files in \Drivers\x32 (from the extracted RST package v9.6.0.1014 you provide) for integration?

This will be my first nLite exercise, so please excuse my newbie questions!

Thanks again.

No, the complete RST package, which includes the RST driver and the RST Console software, is not "universal":
  1. The RST driver is only needed, if your system has an actual Intel Southbridge from ICH7R/M up, which is running in AHCI or RAID mode. All other Intel related systems neither need nor are able to use the RST driver and the complete RST driver/application package.
  2. The Intel RST Console software can easily be installed by running the EXE file once the OS is up, but I only recommend to install it, if your are using the SATA Controllers in RAID mode.

Does the Intel 945GC chipset fit the above criteria and can use the RST driver?

One more newbie query, Fernando, if I may.

After integrating the RST 32bit (for XP) driver with nLite, is there a simple way to test (or find out) I've done things correctly? I mean, the last thing I want is to go through the whole XP installation process (with BIOS SATA mode set to AHCI), only to be greeted by a BSOD? Or will the BSOD occur early during installation if the integration has been done incorrectly?

I do know that F6 shouldn't be pressed when using a slipstreamed nLite with SATA driver integration. :)

Thanks again!

Should I use only the files in \Drivers\x32 (from the extracted RST package v9.6.0.1014 you provide) for integration?
Yes, you can take these files for the nLite textmode driver integration procedure, but you can use the 32bit RST driver you get from >here< as well. The content is exactly the same.

Regards

Fernando

Yes, you can take these files for the nLite textmode driver integration procedure, but you can use the 32bit RST driver you get from >here< as well. The content is exactly the same.

Worked like a charm and just completed my first slipstreamed XP installation. :)

Many thanks for your assistance and advice, Fernando.

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

I am having an issue with integrating intel ahci drivers into XP SP2, my dvd drive isn't detected the first time XP starts so my custom runonce commands are not executed. With SP3 there is no problem. I am using a clean source for both SP2 and SP3. I use the same ahci driver for SP2 and SP3. Can anyone please help me out?

Jennifer

Hello Jennifer,

if you have no problem with Windows XP SP3, why do you want to use XP SP2 for the OS installation?

The XP SP3 is the actual OS version and includes all updates of the previous Service Packs 1 and 2.

Regards

Fernando

Hi Fernando :)

Thank you very much for replying. I have experienced and read that XP SP2 is better for older systems since XP SP3 has higher hardware requirements. I keep SP2 for older systems and SP3 I use on newer systems. Back to the problem, I have found the answer to the problem: I use XPize 4.7 and somehow it breaks the AHCI SATA driver, so I downloaded XPize 5 release 6 and the problem was solved. XPize is really great, it makes XP look wonderful.

Kind regards,

Jennifer

South Africa