Integration of Intel's SATA AHCI and RAID drivers

Fernando 1

Wouldn't the virtual machines lack the actual hardware or am I missing something here? Even if they emulate/translate the I/O, I personally would not have 100% confidence in them when drivers are in question.
This is what I think too.

You cannot test textmode drivers within a virtual environment.

Need help with specific issues in reinstalling XP Pro SP2 w SATA for Vostro 1500

I’m trying to reinstall XP Pro on a 3-year old Vostro 1500 that was running Xp Pro, Sp3. I’m using the Dell XP SP2 disk. Despite the fact that the Dell disk contained the SATA drivers, when I looked in Device Manager, I found that the HD was seen as an IDE drive, and not a SATA drive. So, using nLite, I added the file "iaahci.inf" from the Dell driver R154200. When nLite asked me which textmode driver to pick, I selected the 2 that had “ICH8m” in their names, i.e, “Intel® 82801HEM SATA RAID Controller (Mobile ICH8M-E)” and “Intel® 82801HEM/HBM SATA AHCI Controller (Mobile ICH8M-E/m)”. One more thing—I also changed the SATA Operation settings in BIOS from ATA to AHCI.

The installation went smoothly, although I haven't checked all the components. However, I noticed a change in Device Manager. The old Device Manager showed the following information:

Imageold.jpg ,

while the new one shows:

Imagenew.jpg

Should I be concerned about, and what should I do to fix:

1. The loss of 1 Primary IDE channel.

2. The first entry used to be "Intel® ICH8M 3 port Serial ATA Storage Controller - 2828", and is now "Intel® 82801HEM/HBM SATA AHCI Controller".

2 more issues:

1. Should I change the "SATA Operation" in BIOS back to ATA?

2. Also, the "Flash Cache Module" is "Off". Should I enable it?

I have found Intel drivers that seem to be appropriate for the ICH8M 3 port on the Internet, but don't know if I should also include them if I have to do a new slipstream. I must confess that when it comes to chipsets, their drivers, etc., I have a (somewhat intelligent?) monkey-see-monkey-do approach.

Thanks in advance for any help, particularly, as a friend reminded me today of a saying attributed to Confucious:

There are few rewards but many disadvantages to fixing/upgrading a spouse's computer

Edited by bearsfolks

@ bearsfolks:

Welcome at MSFN Forums!

I have read your post, but I cannot see any real issue with your fresh XP installation.

Since you haven't any yellow mark or "unknown device" within your Device Manager, you obviously don't have any device or driver problem with your SATA and IDE drives.

Nevertheless here are some remarks from my side:

1. Since the drivers on your Dell CD probably are very old, it would be a better idea to take the actual Intel textmode driver I have linked within my guide (first post of this thread). They will work fine with your Dell notebook too.

2. It would have been enough, if you would have chosen just the "ICH8M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller" (actual name) or "Intel® 82801HEM/HBM SATA AHCI Controller (Mobile ICH8M-E/M)" (old name), when you get the popup window while integrating the Intel textmode driver.

3. You got different Controller names within the "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers" section of your Device Manager, because you were running the SATA drive in different modes (first screenshot: IDE Mode, 2nd screenshot: AHCI Mode).

Should I be concerned about, and what should I do to fix:

1. The loss of 1 Primary IDE channel.

2. The first entry used to be "Intel® ICH8M 3 port Serial ATA Storage Controller - 2828", and is now "Intel® 82801HEM/HBM SATA AHCI Controller".

There is nothing to be concerned about and nothing to fix.

You got different Controller names, because you are running your SATA hdd in "AHCI Mode" now, whereas you previously ran it in "IDE Mode".

2 more issues:

1. Should I change the "SATA Operation" in BIOS back to ATA?

2. Also, the "Flash Cache Module" is "Off". Should I enable it?

My answers:

1. There is no reason to change the SATA mode back from "AHCI" to "IDE", because you only will be able to use the AHCI features (NCQ, hot plugging etc.) while running your SATA hdd in "AHCI Mode".

2. No, leave the "Flash Cache Module" as it is now ("off"). For details you may look >here<.

I have found Intel drivers that seem to be appropriate for the ICH8M 3 port on the Internet, but don't know if I should also include them if I have to do a new slipstream.
If you want to create a new XP CD with integrated actual Intel textmode and chipset "drivers", you should just follow my guide (start post of this thread).

Don't be irritated by the Controller names. If you integrate the Intel textmode driver and additionally the Intel chipset "drivers", the Controller may be named by a file like "ICH78IDE.INF" or "ICH78ID2.INF", which both are just text files of the Intel chipset "driver" package.

Regards

Fernando

Thanks, Fernando 1, for your extremely detailed response! I thought that the reasons for the changes was probably what you had said, but I was just guessing, and it is reassuring to have it confirmed. Also, after I had posted my question, I did stumble across the issue regarding Flash Drive Mode.

I had updated all the drivers, after installation, using the updated drivers on Dell's site as well as Intel's Driver Update Utility before I found this thread. I will probably be repeating this kind of reinstallation on my desktop, and have bookmarked your guide for that time.

Just one last question, which is why do you think there were 2 Primary IDE Channels in the original installation?

Again, thanks for your guide, and for your response to my question.

Edited by bearsfolks

Just one last question, which is why do you think there were 2 Primary IDE Channels in the original installation?
Before you have set the SATA hdd to "AHCI Mode", it was controlled by the "Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller", which is the MS standard Controller for native IDE (=P-ATA) and non-AHCI SATA drives. This Controller was just renamed by one of the Intel's chipset "drivers" to a device named "Intel® ICH8M 3 port Serial ATA Storage Controller - 2828", but still was using the generic MS IDE drivers.

Since the SATA ports of your Dell notebook are managed by the "Intel® 82801HEM/HBM SATA AHCI Controller (Mobile ICH8M-E/M)", there is no device named "Primary Channel" anymore, because this AHCI Controller doesn't use any IDE channel.

The other and still remaining "Primary IDE Channel" belongs to the device named "Intel® ICH8M Ulta ATA Storage Controllers - 2850", which is managing a native IDE Controller of your notebook. I suspect, that the optical drive is connected to this Controller.

Regards

Fernando

Edited by Fernando 1

I took the opportunity to do a quick (partially) automated install and the latest drivers do seem to work on real hardware, mind you I still find it strange that integrating the textmode driver will BSOD VM's when the previous version had no such problem.

I remain most unimpressed with the installer for the management console however:

1). As I noted before, it tries to extract itself to the current drive rather than the system temp folder, so if you are running it off a CD the installation will fail.

2). Even if you are running the installer on a hard drive, you can't do a silent install (/S). The "setup.iss" response file is there, but it's empty.

I remain most unimpressed with the installer for the management console however:

1). As I noted before, it tries to extract itself to the current drive rather than the system temp folder, so if you are running it off a CD the installation will fail.

2). Even if you are running the installer on a hard drive, you can't do a silent install (/S). The "setup.iss" response file is there, but it's empty.

Although the newest RST package v9.5.6.1001 is not yet digitally signed by MS, I do recommend to take it instead of Intel's currently official version 9.5.0.1037. You can get the complete package from >here<.

The installer of the RST Console works much better, the SETUP.ISS file seems to be ok.

Regards

Fernando

Edited by Fernando 1

Actually, the Setup.iss file for v9.5.6.1001 is still useless, here's its contents:

[InstallShield Silent]
Version=v7.00
File=Response File
[File Transfer]
OverwrittenReadOnly=NoToAll
[{9068B2BE-D93A-4C0A-861C-5E35E2C0E09E}-DlgOrder]
Count=0

And here's an example of what a response file should look like (from PowerDVD5):

[InstallShield Silent]
Version=v6.00.000
File=Response File
[File Transfer]
OverwrittenReadOnly=NoToAll
[Application]
Name=PowerDVD
Version=5.0
Company=CyberLink
Lang=0009
[{6811CAA0-BF12-11D4-9EA1-0050BAE317E1}-DlgOrder]
Dlg0={6811CAA0-BF12-11D4-9EA1-0050BAE317E1}-SdWelcome-0
Count=10
Dlg1={6811CAA0-BF12-11D4-9EA1-0050BAE317E1}-SdLicense-0
Dlg2={6811CAA0-BF12-11D4-9EA1-0050BAE317E1}-SdDisplayTopics-0
Dlg3={6811CAA0-BF12-11D4-9EA1-0050BAE317E1}-SdRegisterUserEx-0
Dlg4={6811CAA0-BF12-11D4-9EA1-0050BAE317E1}-SdAskDestPath-0
Dlg5={6811CAA0-BF12-11D4-9EA1-0050BAE317E1}-SdSelectFolder-0
Dlg6={6811CAA0-BF12-11D4-9EA1-0050BAE317E1}-SELECTSKINDIALOG-0
Dlg7={6811CAA0-BF12-11D4-9EA1-0050BAE317E1}-SHOW_CLPV_CLEV_DIALOG-1
Dlg8={6811CAA0-BF12-11D4-9EA1-0050BAE317E1}-SdFinish-0
Dlg9={6811CAA0-BF12-11D4-9EA1-0050BAE317E1}-AskYesNo-0
[{6811CAA0-BF12-11D4-9EA1-0050BAE317E1}-SdWelcome-0]
Result=1
[{6811CAA0-BF12-11D4-9EA1-0050BAE317E1}-SdLicense-0]
Result=1
[{6811CAA0-BF12-11D4-9EA1-0050BAE317E1}-SdDisplayTopics-0]
Result=1
[{6811CAA0-BF12-11D4-9EA1-0050BAE317E1}-SdRegisterUserEx-0]
szName=Kermit the Frog
szCompany=The Muppet Show
szSerial=Dream on
Result=1
[{6811CAA0-BF12-11D4-9EA1-0050BAE317E1}-SdAskDestPath-0]
szDir=C:\Program Files (x86)\CyberLink\PowerDVD
Result=1
[{6811CAA0-BF12-11D4-9EA1-0050BAE317E1}-SdSelectFolder-0]
szFolder=CyberLink PowerDVD
Result=1
[{6811CAA0-BF12-11D4-9EA1-0050BAE317E1}-SELECTSKINDIALOG-0]
DefaultSkin=Glow
Result=1
[{6811CAA0-BF12-11D4-9EA1-0050BAE317E1}-SHOW_CLPV_CLEV_DIALOG-1]
Result=1
[{6811CAA0-BF12-11D4-9EA1-0050BAE317E1}-SdFinish-0]
Result=1
bOpt1=0
bOpt2=0
[{6811CAA0-BF12-11D4-9EA1-0050BAE317E1}-AskYesNo-0]
Result=0

@ Kurt_Aust:

This might be a dumb question: Why do you want to integrate the complete Intel MSM resp. RST package?

You probably know, that the MSM or RST Control Center is not essential at all for Intel RAID users, but nearly useless for users, who are running their SATA hdd's in AHCI Mode. Furthermore the installation of the MSM or RST Control Center prolongs the boot time quite noticeable.

The only important thing is the integration of the Intel AHCI/RAID driver and this should be done without using the installer of the MSM or RST package.

That is why I don't recommend to integrate the Intel MSM or RST application into the Windows XP 32/64bit CD. Users with an Intel RAID array, who want to use the Control Center, can easily install the MSM or RST software after having completely installed the OS.

Regards

Fernando

I'm not seeking to integrate it exactly, rather I'm seeking to script it for silent install along with all my other applications on subsequent reboot passes once the OS has been installed.

I'm using RAID 10, so there is some benefit and as I only reboot about once a week or less, slightly longer startup time is not really an issue.

Still, none of this changes the fact that Intel did a poor job on the installer.

Edited by Kurt_Aust

@ Kurt_Aust:

Thanks for your statement, which clarifies a lot.

Still, none of this changes the fact that Intel did a poor job on the installer.
Just to avoid any misunderstandings I want to add some remarks:
  1. Kurt_Aust's personal review only applies the ability of the RST software installer for being integrated into a Windows XP (32/64bit) CD, but this does not mean, that the installer has any issues when being used while running any Windows OS from XP up. The RST software installation always ran flawlessly with my Intel desktop (ICH10R with RAID0) and notebook (ICH8M in AHCI Mode) systems.
  2. Furthermore all users should consider, that Intel has started the development of the new Rapid Storage Technology in May 2009 and that the error free silent integration of the RST Console software into an old OS like Windows XP might not have the highest priority at this stage of the development.
  3. Although the new Intel RST package v9.5.6.1001 and the included drivers are running absolutely fine with my desktop and notebook systems, I am pretty sure, that we will see even better Intel RST packages in the near future.

Regards

Fernando

Just to clarify:

1. I have no issues with the RST management application once installed, the problems I have pointed out only apply to the actual act of installing the program.

2. These limitations compared to previous versions of the installer will not be limited to XP only, they will also apply to Vista and Win 7.

@ all users of my guide:

Since I got access today (01/30/2010) to the WHQL certified versions of the new Intel textmode drivers (32/64bit) and the new complete RST package v9.5.6.1001 dated 12/30/2009, I have just updated my guide (= start post of this thread).

These brandnew Intel RST drivers v9.5.6.1001, which now have been digitally signed by Microsoft, are running fine with my Intel ICH10R RAID0 and my Intel ICH8M AHCI systems. So I can really recommend the use of them.

Good luck with the integration of Intel's newest textmode drivers!

Regards

Fernando