Integration of Intel's SATA AHCI and RAID drivers

Fernando 1

Thanks for the information in this topic!

I got my ICH8 working in AHCI mode & installed the Fernando driver which works!

The Matrix Storage Manager however still won't install and I can't edit the install package..

Does anyone have a 'hacked' version of the storage manager?

I'm not tryring to create a RAID array on my non-R controller, I want to increase the speed of my SSD with write back cache etc.!

:sneaky:

Edit:

BTW is there any way of checking if AHCI (NCQ etc.) works?

Edited by soepkip

@ ChiefZeke:

This is the thread about how to integrate the Intel SATA AHCI and RAD drivers into a Windows XP CD and not a thread about how to repair different running Windows Operation Systems after having changed the BIOS settings regarding the SATA Controller from IDE to AHCI mode.

You missed the point of what I was commenting on.

I was trying to integrate the SATA AHCI drivers into my XP Pro installation - that's what all the info I posted was about. I was not and am not trying to 'fix' anything

I followed your example and it did not work. Please -re-read my post. I though I was pretty clear on what I was doing.

It is my understanding Win7 has AHCI support built in and does not require anything from the user to implement it.
The user has to use AHCI mode at setup to implement built in support.

Thanks for the info - I'll have to remember that when Win7 final arrives.

@ soepkip:

Welcome at MSFN Forums!

Fine, that you succeeded with the installation of Windows XP and that you are able to run your SATA Controller in AHCI Mode.

You are not able to get the Intel Matrix Storage Manager Console installed, because your Intel ICH8 SATA Controller is not supported by Intel's official driverpack.

By the way: You will not get much profit by using the Intel Matrix Storage Manager Console, because you are not using RAID.

Is there any way of checking if AHCI (NCQ etc.) works?
If your mainboard has the BIOS option to set the SATA Controller to "AHCI Mode", you can be sure to get the AHCI features after having enabled the option and successfully installed the modified Intel SATA AHCI driver. Additionally you may look into the "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers" section of the Device Manager, if the Intel® ICH8 SATA AHCI Controller is listed.

EDIT:

I'm not tryring to create a RAID array on my non-R controller, I want to increase the speed of my SSD with write back cache etc.!
Can't you get these settings by opening the "Properties" of your hdd within the Device Manager? Edited by Fernando 1

@Fernando_1

Thanks for your reply and your modded driver!

I'll skip the Intel MSMC then, no problem.. I have set the controller to AHCI in my BIOS and have the SATA AHCI controller listed, so that's good!

Good luck to everybody getting AHCI running on their southbridges :)

You missed the point of what I was commenting on.

I was trying to integrate the SATA AHCI drivers into my XP Pro installation - that's what all the info I posted was about. I was not and am not trying to 'fix' anything

I followed your example and it did not work. Please -re-read my post. I though I was pretty clear on what I was doing.

Maybe I misunderstood your post, but you wrote the following:
After following your instructions and merging the created .REG file into both XP Pro and XP Pro x64 I rebooted, went into the BIOS and changed the settings to AHCI and rebooted.
Where did you find any .REG file within my guide (= start post of this thread)?

Where did you find any .REG file within my guide (= start post of this thread)?

Boy did I screw up. I read your instructions and in my attempt to get AHCI working I confused it with an article I had copied from here a while ago which is now in the FAQ entitled: "How to enable AHCI on Intel ICH9 under XP"

I had arrived at a solution to my problem and was assuming I was posting more information to that forum article. :wacko:

@ duanvcd:

Welcome at MSFN Forums!

How can I find out SATA driver for AMD?
If you want to integrate them into a Windows XP (32bit) CD, you may download the already prepaired AMD/ATI SATA AHCI driver from here.
And integrate it using nLite?
It can easily be done similar to my guide for Intel's textmode drivers (first post of this thread).

Regards

Fernando

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I was attempting to boot/install XP from a usb key following directions from WinSetupFromUSB (and several others). When I get to the prompts indicating it is installing windows, I get the STOP: 0x00000078 message and blue screen. I found posts indicating that I might need to include a SATA driver into the mix.

I was looking for the appropriate driver on the first page here, but I'm not sure something exactly matches. From a bootable linux distro, I see the harddrive listed as "product: 82801FB/FW (ICH6/ICH6W) SATA Controller." I only see an option for ICH6M and ICH6R here, however. Am I missing something with the nomenclature? Is the R or M variant 'ok' to use for this? Is this thread not at all for me?

Thanks in advance!

Thanks for the welcome.

I should have known better and provided more info.

I'm using a Dell Dimension 4700. I have two harddrives, and am trying to install windows on the original (details below), currently just running linux off of the newer harddrive (the other has been reformated, no OS)..

Let me know if I've left anything out!

Thanks again.

*-core

description: Motherboard

product: 0M3918

vendor: Dell Inc.

physical id: 0

*-firmware

description: BIOS

vendor: Dell Inc.

physical id: 0

version: A09 (06/22/2005)

size: 64KiB

capacity: 448KiB

capabilities: pci pnp apm upgrade shadowing cdboot bootselect edd int13floppytoshiba int5printscreen int9keyboard int14serial int17printer acpi usb ls120boot biosbootspecification netboot

*-ide:1

description: IDE interface

product: 82801FB/FW (ICH6/ICH6W) SATA Controller

vendor: Intel Corporation

physical id: 1f.2

bus info: pci@0000:00:1f.2

logical name: scsi2

version: 03

width: 32 bits

clock: 66MHz

capabilities: ide pm bus_master cap_list emulated

configuration: driver=ata_piix latency=0

*-disk:0

description: ATA Disk

product: ST340014AS

vendor: Seagate

physical id: 0.0.0

bus info: scsi@2:0.0.0

logical name: /dev/sda

version: 8.12

size: 37GiB (40GB)

capabilities: partitioned partitioned:dos

configuration: ansiversion=5 signature=d0f4738c

*-serial

description: SMBus

product: 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) SMBus Controller

vendor: Intel Corporation

physical id: 1f.3

bus info: pci@0000:00:1f.3

version: 03

width: 32 bits

clock: 33MHz

configuration: driver=i801_smbus latency=0 module=i2c_i801

@ quaternary:

Thanks for the detailed informations.

I assume, that the mainboard of your Dell Desktop has an Intel ICH6R Southbridge.

This is what I recommend for you:

Preparations:

1. Download and unzip >this< already prepared textmode driver.

2. Enter the BIOS, search for the "HARD DISK BOOT PRIORITY" option and make sure, that the hard drive, where you want to boot off, is on top of the list.

3. Insert the original (untouched) XP SP2 or SP3 CD and boot off it. Don't hit F6.

After having loaded some in-box drivers, the XP Setup will come to the point of the decision, where the OS should be installed.

There are 2 possibilities:

a ) Your hard disk drives will be detected by Windows Setup. Consequence: You will not need to load or integrate any Intel textmode driver.

b ) Your hard disk drives will not be detected. Reason: Your SATA hdd(s) are running in AHCI or RAID Mode. Consequence; You have to load or - better - to integrate a suitable Intel textmode driver.

Integration procedure:

Create a bootable XP CD with integrated Intel textmode driver according to my giuide.

Special advices:

1. Integrate just the special textmode driver I have linked to above (contrary to the actual ones it will support Intel ICH6R RAID and AHCI systems).

2. When you get the textmode driver popup window with the list of different Intel SATA Controllers, check the ones with an "ICH6" within the name.

Good luck!

Fernando

Thanks for your reply!

I'll give it a shot with the driver you provided. I don't have a functioning cdrom drive, so I'll be trying to boot with a usb and iso à la WinSetupFromUSB. It seems people's mileage varies when combining this with nLite. I'll try it out in a few days and report back. Thanks again.

***EDIT***

I incorporated both ICH6 drivers with XP in nLite, and then formatted a usb key to make it bootable with this using WinSetupfromUSB. I got to the same part of the boot process (drivers all load, it says "loading Windows", and then blue screen...A problem has been detected...STOP: 0x0000007B, etc).

Maybe this is something to take up with folks focusing more on WinSetupfromUSB at this point..

Edited by quaternary