Integration of Intel's SATA AHCI and RAID drivers

Fernando 1

problem solved!
Congratulations @ Forsti, that you solved your problems at least! :thumbup

Nevertheless I do not totally agree with your thoughts regarding the cause of your issues:

the usb installation propably never works
The installation of a Windows OS by booting off an USB port works fine (if you do it the right way).
but the desktop-installation-and-put-the-ssd-into-the-netbook-again technic worked at the end!
I doubt, that this is the only possible explanation for your success. I still suspect, that your problems were caused by a wrong BOOT.INI entry (leads to the first error message) and a wrong HARD DISK BOOT PRIORITY order (leads to the second error message).

Have fun with Windows XP on your new SSD!

Fernando

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, let me start off by saying that I have a recently purchased laptop, an HP HDX16 (with vista 64 installed), so I don't know where the hdds and whatnot are connected. Additionally, my BIOS menu is so basic I have no options for RAID/AHCI or anything, which doesn't help matters

I followed your guide 3 times over, each time using the same original windows copy for nlite. However, each time I used a different set of drivers for the ICH9R, and each time I got the following error upon installation: File iaStor.sys is corrupt.

Now the copy of XP I was using for nlite was already a copy of an original installation disc, and I have no idea if it's 32/64 bit or home/professional. This is the only hiccup I could think of, is that I'm using the wrong drivers, or if I'm trying to install a 32 bit OS on a machine that doesn't support it.

Any help would be appreciated. :hello:

I'm trying to dual boot with Vista and XP. For some reason this process doesn't work for me in both AHCI and IDE modes. It detects the drive, formats the partition, then does the setup but after the reboot it pretty much stalls. That's when I have to fix the MBR and boot and try over. I might have tried RAID mode too. The only time IDE worked was when I was doing a fresh Install of VIsta.

Could this be a problem with the BIOS or because I can't change the mode for my DVD drive?

@ StumbleStopRepeat and holyc0w:

Welcome at MSFN Forums!

@ StumleStopRepeat:

The reason for your issue definitively is the 32/64bit mixture of the OS and the integrated driver.

Solution: Either change the OS (from XP x64 to XP) or integrate the 64bit driver version.

@ holyc0w:

Since you still have access to Vista, run it and look into the "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers" and - if present - the "Storage Controllers" sections of the Device Manager.

Which sort of Controllers (names) do you see there?

@ holyc0w:

Since you still have access to Vista, run it and look into the "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers" and - if present - the "Storage Controllers" sections of the Device Manager.

Under IDE ATA/ATAPI I have:

Intel ICH10R SATA AHCI Controller

Storage Controllers:

Microsoft iSCSI Initiator

Some more details: I'm trying to install the 64 bit version of XP with a slipstreamed SP2. The motherboard is Intel DX58SO.

Edited by holyc0w

I'm trying to dual boot with Vista and XP. For some reason this process doesn't work for me in both AHCI and IDE modes. It detects the drive, formats the partition, then does the setup but after the reboot it pretty much stalls. That's when I have to fix the MBR and boot and try over. I might have tried RAID mode too. The only time IDE worked was when I was doing a fresh Install of VIsta.

Could this be a problem with the BIOS or because I can't change the mode for my DVD drive?

I see 2 possible reasons:

a ) more than 3 GB of RAM (solution: remove 1 stick while installing Windows XP)

b ) SATA connected DVD drive doesn't like AHCI mode (solution: borrow an IDE connected one just for the XP installation).

@ holyc0w:

Under IDE ATA/ATAPI I have:

Intel ICH10R SATA AHCI Controller

So the XP installation by using a CD with integrated Intel AHCI driver should work for you.

I see 2 possible reasons:

a ) more than 3 GB of RAM (solution: remove 1 stick while installing Windows XP)

b ) SATA connected DVD drive doesn't like AHCI mode (solution: borrow an IDE connected one just for the XP installation).

Would the 3GB issue be also present with 64-bit XP?

As for B, there are no IDE connectors on the motherboard. It seems weird to me that Vista installs fine under AHCI, but XP doesn't. Would you know why I can't switch from AHCI to IDE without breaking Vista?

Edited by holyc0w

Would the 3GB issue be also present with 64-bit XP?
No, all 64bit Operating Systems don't have that problem.
As for B, there are no IDE connectors on the motherboard. It seems weird to me that Vista installs fine under AHCI, but XP doesn't. Would you know why I can't switch from AHCI to IDE without breaking Vista?
Because Vista expects the SATA hdd at the AHCI Controller and there i none anymore after running it in IDE mode.

I think it's the same issue where the computer just stops at a blank screen after the reboot when the system files are installed.
If you are not able to get Windows XP installed after having set the SATA Controllers to "IDE Mode", you probably have a hardware problem. Please check your memory sticks (and their BIOS settings inclusive voltage), the psu, the cables, the fans etc.

Looks like it does work in IDE after all

edit: OK, I tried the AHCI mode again. After it restarted after the setup it said "Press any key to boot from the CD/DVD" so I waited and then I got "error loading Operating System". That's the same message I also get for Vista when I switch from AHCI to IDE.

Edited by holyc0w

After it restarted after the setup it said "Press any key to boot from the CD/DVD" so I waited and then I got "error loading Operating System". That's the same message I also get for Vista when I switch from AHCI to IDE.
This message usually indicates, that the "track zero" of your boot sector has bad entries and cannot be properly be read by the system. The "zero track" will not be erased by the normal formatting of the hdd.

If I am right, you should do the following:

1. Backup all important datas of the hdd, where you are booting from, or let a tool like Acronis TrueImage save an image of your current partitions and store it somewhere outside the bootabe hdd.

2. Use a hdd diagnostic utility (you will get it from the manufacturer of the affected hdd), let it check the hdd and then do a "low level format". Alternatively you may use a tool like KillDisk (look here). This way you will get the hdd back into the native status.

Side note:

Some users reported, that they got all "track zero" issues solved after having tried to install a Linux distribution like Ubuntu.