Integration of Intel's SATA AHCI and RAID drivers

Fernando 1

Thank you for your quick reply.

The reason why I'm not switching to Windows 7, yet, is that I've been getting used for years to XP's mouse sensitivity (I've been using the same for years as a gamer within my favorite game). Also I'd rather wait for the Final version of the OS, which might be released in October.

About your solution ; if you take a look at my screenshot this is exactly what I've done before !

When I tried to install Intel Matrix Storage Manager, it would say my hardware ain't supported ...

When I tried to install Intel Matrix Storage Manager, it would say my hardware ain't supported ...
Then you either don't have enabled the AHCI Mode of your Intel SATA Controller (BIOS setting) or you have chosen the wrong version of the Intel Matrix Storage Manager. The v8.8.0.1009 should work with your Intel ICH7M SATA AHCI system.

I've download that correct version (8.8.0.1009).

Someone mentioned already the BIOS settings to be changed, thus I couldn't find it (and I looked everywhere already), maybe I should downgrade my BIOS (as I'm using the latest version ...).

Thing is, that BIOS settings cannot be responsible of that mouse stuttering & overall small performance as everything works fine under Vista ...

Edit: Write caching is enabled on Vista so that can't be the problem neither :/

Edited by Bls

Someone mentioned already the BIOS settings to be changed, thus I couldn't find it (and I looked everywhere already), maybe I should downgrade my BIOS (as I'm using the latest version ...).
Some laptop manufacturers do not implement the BIOS option to disabe the "AHCI Mode".

You can verify the SATA mode (AHCI or IDE) of your laptop by opening the XP Device Manager and looking into the "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers" and - if present - the "SCSI and RAID Controllers" sections. If you are running your SATA hdd in "AHCI Mode", you should see a device named "Intel® ICH7M/MDH SATA AHCI Controller". The non-AHCI system just shows the "Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller".

Edited by Fernando 1

@ Bls:

Thanks for the screenshot, which really helps.

The listed device named "Intel® 82801GBM/GHM (ICH7-M Family) Serial ATA Storage Controller - 27C4" does not support AHCI. You got this device by integrating the Intel chipset device "drivers" or by running the installer of the "INF Update Utility". It has nothing to do with the drivers of the Intel Matrix Storage Manager. That is why you got the message, that no compatible device has been detected, when you tried to run the installer of the Matrix Storage Manager.

Since there is no "Intel ICH7M/MDH SATA AHCI Controller", the SATA hdd obviously is running in IDE Mode and not in AHCI Mode.

Conclusion:

1. You will be able to get Windows XP installed and running without loading or integrating any driver.

2. Ask the vendor of your laptop for the option to enable the AHCI Mode of the SATA Controller. Since your system has an ICH7M chipset southbridge, it should fully support this SATA feature.

Well on Vista it works (if you take a look at my vista's device manager screenshot) ...

Anyway, maybe the problem is just something else ... What could be causing such mouse lag/stutters when CPU or HD is working ?

Well on Vista it works (if you take a look at my vista's device manager screenshot) ...
Vista works for you, but you don't know, if it would run even better in AHCI Mode.
Anyway, maybe the problem is just something else ...
You are right: The fact, that your laptop is working without AHCI support, is not responsable for your mouse problems. Nevetheless you should try to get the option to enable AHCI.
What could be causing such mouse lag/stutters when CPU or HD is working?
That can be caused by the mouse itself or the mouse settings, but the mouse behaviour may be influenced by other things too (special software with high CPU usage like Antivirus running in the background, wrong CPU voltage, unstable BIOS timing settings etc.).

Thanks to both of you for your replies.

Well on Vista I have no particular problem, no matter how many applications I run at the same time, even heavy ones, wouldn't affect mouse movement at all. There is definitely something wrong under Windows XP.

The mouse itself isn't the issue ; it's a very old microsoft one, even supported by windows 98 default drivers. I'm using it everyday on an old desktop machine running Windows XP and there's no issue at all, even if run X applications at once =)

I'd like to add that I did a disk format several times, tried different versions of Windows XP, different drivers ; nothing can be causing this lag as I wanted the system to be as fast as possible ; as a habit, I disabled running services eating memory and didn't install any antivirus/firewall (as I won't even use this XP partition to browse or anything, I will just install games and play).

@ Bls:

You are the first laptop user, from whom I have heard, that he had a much better performance with Vista than with Windows XP.

Since I cannot help you more than I tried to do and since your mouse stuttering phenomenon has nothing to do with the topic of this thread, we should stop the discussion about your problem at this point.

If you should ever find the reason for your XP issues, please let us/me know it.

Regards

Fernando

@ all users of my guide (first post of this thread):

Yesterday I found a new official version of Intel's Matrix Storage Manager. The package contains the brandnew and WHQL certified 32/64bit Intel textmode drivers v8.9.1023 dated 06/04/2009 and the appropriate version of Intel's Matrix Storage Manager Console.

Since these new drivers and the Console are working fine with my own ICH9M AHCI and ICH10R RAID systems, I have updated my guide and added the links to these official drivers and to the new Intel Matrix Storage Manager Console application.

Additionally I have created brandnew modded 32/64bit versions of these just released textmode drivers v8.9.0.1023. They now additionally will support even Intel ICH10 (without R or M) SATA AHCI Controllers.

Any feedback is much appreciated.

Have fun!

Fernando

Edited by Fernando 1