Integration of Intel's SATA AHCI and RAID drivers

Fernando 1

@ lie.hendrik:

Did you really enable RAID with 1 single SATA drive? That doesn't make any sense.

Now to your problem:

Is your RAIDed hdd detected by the BIOS?

Has it been set to be bootable?

Did you set the RAID into the first position at the BIOS option "HARD DISK BOOT PRIORITY"?

What exactly have you done with nLite? Which Intel SATA Controllers did you enable?

Thanks, bro.

I guess the boot priority changed when SATA mode changed. You're right!

Read somewhere that RAID is better than AHCI because if later you're installing additional SATA drive, than I don't have to reinstall OS. What do you think?

You're one hell of a help, bro:)

> Yes. Using it for booting in IDE mode

> Yes. But I'm supposed to set the priority to CD to boot from XP disc, right?

Did you set the RAID into the first position at the BIOS option "HARD DISK BOOT PRIORITY"?

> Not sure. Have to check on this one. Does it matter? I could set it later when the installation is finished, right?

What exactly have you done with nLite? Which Intel SATA Controllers did you enable?

> I integrate drivers found within f6flpy3288.zip, the Intel® ICH9R/DO/DH SATA AHCI Controller. It doesn't show Intel® ICH9R/DO/DH SATA RAID Controller. Does it matter? I even integrate infinst_autol.zip, the "all" folder and the version is 9.0.0.1008. And also the JMicron drivers version R1.17.47WHQL_eSATA.

Read somewhere that RAID is better than AHCI because if later you're installing additional SATA drive, than I don't have to reinstall OS.
This will only work, if you get a second SATA hdd and want to create a RAID1 array (=Mirror) for more security. If you want to use RAID for getting a better performance, you have to create a RAID0 (=Stripe) array, but in this case you have to do a complete new install of the OS after changing the SATA Mode to RAID.
What do you think?
I repeat what I already have written to you: As long as there is just 1 SATA hdd, I would use the AHCI and not the RAID mode.

> Yes. Using it for booting in IDE mode

If you enable the IDE Mode, no RAID device will be detected.

This is what I meant: After having set the SATA Controller to RAID mode, the RAID device should be shown within the BIOS "HARD DISK BOOT PRIORITY" settings.

> Yes. But I'm supposed to set the priority to CD to boot from XP disc, right?

There are 2 different boot order settings within the BIOS:

a ) the regular order of the different boot devices like floppy disk drive, CD-ROM, HDD, USB etc. (the first bootable device should be the CD/DVD-ROM, the second one the Hard Disk Drive) and

b ) the boot order of the built-in hard disk drives named "HARD DISK BOOT PRIORITY" (only changeable if you have more than 1 hdd in your computer), you have to set that hdd (RAID/SATA or PATA) into the first position, where you want to boot off (and where you will get the MBR, when you are going to install any Operating System).

> Not sure. Have to check on this one. Does it matter? I could set it later when the installation is finished, right?

No, you have to do the correct HARD DISK BOOT PRIORITY settings before you start with the OS installation (see last point).

> I integrate drivers found within f6flpy3288.zip, the Intel® ICH9R/DO/DH SATA AHCI Controller. It doesn't show Intel® ICH9R/DO/DH SATA RAID Controller. Does it matter?

Yes, it matters very much. If you really have enabled just the listed "Intel® ICH9R/DO/DH SATA AHCI Controller", your Intel ICH9R SATA RAID Controller and the RAID itself will not be detected by Windows Setup.

You only will get your RAID (=SATA hdd with enabled RAID Controller) detected, if you check the listed "Intel® ICH8R/ICH9R/ICH10R/DO SATA RAID Controller" while integrating the Intel textmode driver.

@ charlieo:

Welcome at MSFN Forums!

Although your problem is somehow off topic, I will try to help you.

1. Windows Server 2008 definitively has in-box Intel ICH9R RAID drivers, but maybe these regelar drivers of the Intel Matrix Storage Manager do not support a Server System like yours.

2. Do a look into this Intel page. There you will find several actual Intel utilities for your mainboard and especially a package named "RAID WEB Console Utility for Windows". Maybe this is what you are searching for.

Additional questions:

1. How did you get Windows Server 2008 installed onto your RAID?

2. Has your RAID been detected at the beginning of the OS installation?

If not, how did you get the OS installed? Notice: you cannot run any installer of a driverpack at this stage of the OS installation.

If yes, when did the array disappear? At last reboot of the OS installation?

Fernando,

Thanks for the reply!

1. I am attempting to install Server 2008; it is not already installed. The issue arises when the install routine attempts to find a suitable drive to install to. As I said, when I try the ICH9R drivers the array is still not seen in SP2 ... only R2 sees it.

2. See #1. No, the array is not seen by SP2, but is seen by R2.

3. Since the OS is not yet installed, I am not sure what you are saying/asking. I used the on-board Intel Matrix RAID to create the array. The other on-board RAID (SLI) can't be used because it won't so RAID 5 on the S3200SH board.

I don't believe the RAID WEB console has the drivers for this issue. It is for viewing the array once installed if I am not mistaken.

I have visited all of the Intel support pages many times and have spoken to T/S directly (they are useless). The BIOS is current. I am absolutely stuck on this one. If 2008 SP2 has native support, why doesn't the array show up? Why does it show with R2? I am using our Technet copies of S2008 and I am sure they are as complete as the retail stuff..... if not more so.

Any and all help is appreciated.

Charlie

Thank you, Fernando.

I'll stick to AHCI then.

By the way, how to ensure that my textmode drivers are running after the OS installation? How to know that NCQ is activated? Does NCQ really boost my HD performance? How's your experience with NCQ on?

I am attempting to install Server 2008; it is not already installed. The issue arises when the install routine attempts to find a suitable drive to install to. As I said, when I try the ICH9R drivers the array is still not seen in SP2 ... only R2 sees it.
Have you tried to load the 64bit Intel textmode drivers I have linked within my guide?

This should be done during the OS installation at the point where you have to decide where you want to get the OS installed.

Just hit the "Load Driver" botton, let Setup load the prepared driver from an USB stick and choose the Intel SATA Controller, which is shown as being compatible (probably the Intel® ICH8R/ICH9R/ICH10R/DO SATA RAID Controller).

By the way, how to ensure that my textmode drivers are running after the OS installation?
Once the OS is up, you will find within the "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers" section of the Device Manager a device named "Intel® ICH9R/DO/DH SATA AHCI Controller". Do a right click onto it and choose the "Drivers" option. Then you will see, that this device is using the Intel AHCI driver named IASTOR.SYS.
How to know that NCQ is activated?
Open the "Drives" or "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers" section of the Device Manage and do a right click onto the SATA drive or onto the Intel SATA AHCI Controller.
Does NCQ really boost my HD performance? How's your experience with NCQ on?
It doesn't boost the performance generally (it depends on what you are doing with your computer), but you will realize, that your system is faster and better corresponding, if your SATA hdd is running in AHCI Mode.

Hello, and sorry my bad English.

I have Windows XP SP3 and Intel DG965WH motherboard, when I select AHCI mode in BIOS, this gives me a warning ... " Select the AHCI mode only if you use Windows Vista "

The BIOS for my motherboard is up to date.

My questions are:

* Windows XP is not compatible with AHCI mode...?

* Because the BIOS gives me this warning...?

Thanks...

@ RicardoForce:

Welcome at MSFN Forums.

I have Windows XP SP3 and Intel DG965WH motherboard, when I select AHCI mode in BIOS, this gives me a warning ... " Select the AHCI mode only if you use Windows Vista "

My questions are:

Answers:

Windows XP SP3 is fully compatible with the SATA AHCI Mode, but contrary to Vista it doesn't natively have the needed SATA AHCI drivers. So you have to load them during the XP installation (via floppy/F6 method) or - as the better option - to integrate them into the XP-CD.

I assume, that you got the BIOS message, because the vendor of your system has preinstalled Vista and is not interested in any support traffic from users, who are not able to get XP installed in AHCI mode (due to missing or wrong AHCI drivers).

Regards

Fernando

@ RicardoForce:

Welcome at MSFN Forums.

My questions are:

Answers:

Windows XP SP3 is fully compatible with the SATA AHCI Mode, but contrary to Vista it doesn't natively have the needed SATA AHCI drivers. So you have to load them during the XP installation (via floppy/F6 method) or - as the better option - to integrate them into the XP-CD.

I assume, that you got the BIOS message, because the vendor of your system has preinstalled Vista and is not interested in any support traffic from users, who are not able to get XP installed in AHCI mode (due to missing or wrong AHCI drivers).

Regards

Fernando

Fernando, thanks for your quick response, I will then integrate the AHCI SATA drivers to my Windows XP SP3 to see how it works ...

Greetings

i must be blind or something b/c i cant find the "new Intel chipset drivers v9.9.1.1011 (WHQL) dated 05/21/2009" in the first post. only textmode drivers i see are v8x

i must be blind or something b/c i cant find the "new Intel chipset drivers v9.9.1.1011 (WHQL) dated 05/21/2009" in the first post. only textmode drivers i see are v8x
The Intel chipset drivers do not contain any textmode driver.

Here is an excerpt of my guide with the link to the new Intel chipset drivers (="INF Update Utility"):

2. Processing with nLite:
  • Use the other options of nLite, if you want. It is a good idea to additionally integrate the Intel INF files drivers named Intel® Chipset Device Software as normal device (=PnP) driver. You can download the actual INF drivers here.

new textmode drivers got released or something

Something. :w00t:

Continuing my comment on the previous beta drivers, after using them for some time, it seemed to me they are a tiny bit slower. I didn't do any measurements, so this is highly subjective. No errors though, and they had cured one gripe I have always had with this chipset (eventd error: iastor did not respond within the timeout period); no hardware is defective and I've seen that error on many other computers; but I'm trying these ones (so far so good; plus they're signed).

GL

oh ok, they're for servers.
No, the Intel chipset drivers (= "INF Update Utility") generally are usable with all desktop and mobile computers, which have an Intel chipset. The text of the Intel page I have linked may be somehow misleading.