Integration of Intel's SATA AHCI and RAID drivers

Fernando 1

Fernando1.

Found my way in here through some extensive searching for a solution to be allowed to "degrade" from Vista to XP on my daughters new Compaq CQ70-135EO.

Your excellent guide helped med through the process and right now it's installing.

Thanks a lot for doing this guide, for a guy like me, it's worth gold!

I actually registered in here only to be able to thank you, but having browsed through some other topics, I think I'll stay active :-)

And an edit some hours later :blushing:

Windows XP installs fine, but when rebooting at the end of install, a BSOD flashes by so fast I can't even read what it says and then the laptop goes into "safe mode" boot options.

Regardless of what I choose, same thing happens again over and over.........

I honestly don't know what to look for now, hoping someone out there can help me further.

Otherwise it's back to find those backup-DVD's I fortunately made when the laptop was new some weeks ago.

Thanks in advance

Edited by edge

Hi Fernando,

Thanks to your advice I install XP SP2 on my laptop computer.

"Medion MD 96370 with DVD-RW on ATA, HD on SATA and pre installed Vista Home Premium."

I trying to made fresh installation of XP but without your guide I can't (invisible HD).

Now everything looks OK but in Properties - Device Manager - Other device - Unknown Device.

"Location on microsoft ACPI - Compliant Embedded Controller"

"Details - Device Instance Id - ACPI\PNPOC32\2"

"Hardware Id - ACPI\PNPOC32 *PNPOC32".

Can you help mi solve the problem (I try to reinstall all available drivers, doesn't work).

Happy New Year

Gruby

Hi there!

if you still have this problem or any other laptop drivers related problems please let me know.

take care!

Windows XP installs fine, but when rebooting at the end of install, a BSOD flashes by so fast I can't even read what it says and then the laptop goes into "safe mode" boot options.

While rebooting you should choose the advanced F8 option "Don't reboot at systeme failure".

This way you will get the BSOD error message, which may help us to find the issue.

Question:

Which Intel Controllers did you enable while integrating the 32bit Intel textmode driver?

@ theknic:

Welcome at MSFN Forums!

Now everything looks OK but in Properties - Device Manager - Other device - Unknown Device.

"Location on microsoft ACPI - Compliant Embedded Controller"

"Details - Device Instance Id - ACPI\PNPOC32\2"

"Hardware Id - ACPI\PNPOC32 *PNPOC32".

Can you help mi solve the problem (I try to reinstall all available drivers, doesn't work).

if you still have this problem or any other laptop drivers related problems please let me know.
Do you really think, that Gruby

a ) hasn't solved his problem he posted in January 2008 and

b ) will look here for a solution in May 2009?

If you know, where users with a similar problem can get the appropriate driver, why don't you just post the link?

CU

Fernando

While rebooting you should choose the advanced F8 option "Don't reboot at systeme failure".

This way you will get the BSOD error message, which may help us to find the issue.

Question:

Which Intel Controllers did you enable while integrating the 32bit Intel textmode driver?

The only problem is that the BIOS seem to be locked somehow, can't do much else than viewing some details about the system + change the boot-order.

No way it will let me change anything else.........

I enable them all to be honest, maybe a mistake I don't know.

The controller used is the ICH9M in that laptop.

Thanks for looking into it for me, much appreciated.

The only problem is that the BIOS seem to be locked somehow, can't do much else than viewing some details about the system + change the boot-order.

No way it will let me change anything else.........

The F8 options have nothing to do with the BIOS.

Hit the F8 button while booting and you will get the advanced boot options. Then choose "Don't reboot at system failure".

When you get the BSOD, write down the error message (Stop: 0x.....) and - if you see any - the driver/file name, which is mentioned within it.

Hi, I'm testing (try before you buy) a Biostar motherboard, model 945GC-M7 TE LINK HERE. I noticed that it uses Intel ICH7 and SATA II. So my question would be whether the SATA drivers you have offered for download will also work for this motherboard in an unattended installation? There is very little information on the website, and the Intel website for the corresponding chipset (945GC) only gives the Intel Matrix Storage, which I can't unpack.

Thanks for your answer.

@ Sp0iLedBrAt:

As far as I have read the description of the BIOSTAR mainboard 945GC-M7 TE, it does not support the AHCI features and since you obviously will not enable RAID, you won't need to integrate any textmode driver. Just integrate - if not already done - the SP3 into the original XP CD and boot off it. If you want, you can use the unattended install option of nLite.

Have fun!

Fernando

Hi All,

I'm currently running a SATA drive in IDE mode on ICH9R and a PATA drive on JMicron also in IDE mode. I tried enabling AHCI mode in the BIOS, tried to boot my Windows XP and got my MBR destroyed. Later I know that I couldn't enable the AHCI or RAID mode with XP already installed.

My question is... would enabling AHCI or RAID mode destroy my partitions other than the boot one? Is it gonna destroy the partition on my PATA drive? Planning to reinstall XP with textmode drivers integrated.

Thanks.

@ lie.hendrik:

Welcome at MSFN Forums!

None of the partitions will be destroyed by enabling AHCI or RAID while running any OS, but you will get a BSOD at reboot.

If you do a Google search, you may find ways to change the SATA mode from IDE to AHCI without doing a fresh OS installation, but I do not recommend to do that.

Save your important files and do a fresh OS installation with integrated AHCI or RAID drivers according to my guide.

Thanks, Fernando.

But I did ruin the MBR so that I had to fix it using my XP disc with the fixmbr command or the other one I don't remember. The fixboot command I think.

More questions... what to expect when RAID is active? I heard I'd get more from RAID than AHCI. Is that right? If I'm not changing anything, I mean the drives and cables are gonna be as it is now, is there gonna be a difference except the enhanced features of AHCI? Now I'm using c: as windows, d: as games on the SATA drive, and e: as my documents on the PATA drive. Could I use the exact same partition config?

But I did ruin the MBR so that I had to fix it using my XP disc with the fixmbr command or the other one I don't remember. The fixboot command I think.
A broken MBR is not that problematic, because it can easily be repaired.
what to expect when RAID is active? I heard I'd get more from RAID than AHCI. Is that right? If I'm not changing anything, I mean the drives and cables are gonna be as it is now, is there gonna be a difference except the enhanced features of AHCI? Now I'm using c: as windows, d: as games on the SATA drive, and e: as my documents on the PATA drive. Could I use the exact same partition config?
A RAID configuration only makes sense, if you have 2 SATA hdd's.

On the other hand I don't see any reason for not using the available AHCI features of your system.

This is what I recommend for you:

Save the important datas of your current Windows partition, enable the AHCI mode of your SATA drive and do a fresh install of the OS onto drive C by using a Windows XP SP3 CD with integrated AHCI driver. Drive D can be used for gaming furthermore, your PATA drive will not be affected at all.

Edited by Fernando 1

Fernando,

I hope you can help me. I thought your post was great. I am trying to install Server 2008 SP2 Enterprise Core X64 on an Intel S3200SH server board. I have set up a RAID 5 array (6TB in size) using the Matrix storage solution integrated onto the board (ctrl-I) and 5 SATA drives. The board has an ICH9R RAID chip. The array has two partitions. When I load the installer it does not see the array and asks for a driver. I downloaded the correct driver from Intel ( http://downloadcenter.intel.com/filter_res...p;submit=Go%21).

The installer identifies the driver required (ICH9R RAID SATA) and loads the driver. When done the installer still doesn't show the array. I contacted Intel and was told that this board and ICH9R is supported natively in Server 2008 SP2 X64. If that is so, I have no idea why my array isn't being seen.

I tried using Server 2008 R2 (RC) X64and it worked perfectly without any drivers at all. Saw the array immediately. Obviously I don't want to use R2 since it is only at RC.

I have tried many different versions of 2008 server and every driver I could get my hands on, all with the same results.

Do you have any idea what I am doing wrong? IS there a way to get the driver I need off the R2 X64 DVD as a last resort?

Thanks for the help....

Charlie

Edited by charlieo

@ charlieo:

Welcome at MSFN Forums!

Although your problem is somehow off topic, I will try to help you.

1. Windows Server 2008 definitively has in-box Intel ICH9R RAID drivers, but maybe these regelar drivers of the Intel Matrix Storage Manager do not support a Server System like yours.

2. Do a look into this Intel page. There you will find several actual Intel utilities for your mainboard and especially a package named "RAID WEB Console Utility for Windows". Maybe this is what you are searching for.

Additional questions:

1. How did you get Windows Server 2008 installed onto your RAID?

2. Has your RAID been detected at the beginning of the OS installation?

If not, how did you get the OS installed? Notice: you cannot run any installer of a driverpack at this stage of the OS installation.

If yes, when did the array disappear? At last reboot of the OS installation?

Edited by Fernando 1

Got the image burned, RAID enabled in BIOS... my SATA drive is not detected!

This doesn't happen when I choose AHCI. I'm sure I've followed everything correctly according to your first post. I even installed the zip format drivers plus the JMicron's.

Any idea on this?