Integration of Intel's SATA AHCI and RAID drivers

Fernando 1

Thanks, burning the iso now, only thing i did differently was when selecting the chipset inf file as per your guide i choose the folder to get it from, instead of single file, as i have the gateway chipset driver extracted to my laptop, i assume that is fine, will post my results after install (hopefully lol)
If you have additionally integrated the Intel Matrix Storage Manager driver as textmode driver, everything is fine. The Intel textmode driver is not part of Intel's chipset drivers (INF "Utility").

hey Fernando, no go. i applied a tip in one of the replies here to create a small partition after my vista, and when i re booted off the cd i just made, it says Unknown Disk, there is no disk in the drive, while in nLite, i chose the ich8m-e controller, as that was what i have?

i wonder what i may have done wrong?

hey Fernando, no go. i applied a tip in one of the replies here to create a small partition after my vista, and when i re booted off the cd i just made, it says Unknown Disk, there is no disk in the drive
Where is no disk in the drive? I think, that you were booting off the CD?
while in nLite, i chose the ich8m-e controller, as that was what i have?
Yes, but you have to check the Intel ICH8M SATA AHCI Controller while integrating the Intel textmode driver.

hey! bingo! i just tried it again choosing all the controllers, and rebooted off the cd, and i can see my c drive (currently with vista) in the setup!

just need to back up a few things and see how the install goes, will report back

thanks again!

hello,

i have slipstreammed with the driver's you gave to me.Although i have to try it on a VMWARE to know if it's working.(hp pavilion entertainment pc,dv-6500)

Intel® ICH8M SATA AHCI Controller - 2829

Intel® ICH8M Ultra SATA Storage Controllers - 2850

1.First bootable device is CD-ROM

2.I used the image to boot.

thanks...

Great job I think it is the base for an nlited version of windows.

I want to make an nlited version that will support ALL types of sata and raid drives (especially notebook sata) . If I integrate all the drives on your post selecting the right drivers for XP x86 and alla types on nlite settings page will that work?

i have slipstreammed with the driver's you gave to me.Although i have to try it on a VMWARE to know if it's working.(hp pavilion entertainment pc,dv-6500)
You can be very confident, that you will succeed with the XP installation onto your laptop in real mode, if you have integrated the 32bit Intel textmode driver and checked the Intel ICH8M AHCI Controller, but you will not be able to test the drivers with VMWare.
I want to make an nlited version that will support ALL types of sata and raid drives (especially notebook sata) . If I integrate all the drives on your post selecting the right drivers for XP x86 and alla types on nlite settings page will that work?
Probably not. It is not recommended to integrate several drivers of the same chipset vendor (in this case Intel), because you cannot be sure, which driver version at least will be installed. The problem is induced by the fact, that all different Intel driver versions have the same name: IASTOR.SYS. So the already integrated IASTOR.SYS file will be overwritten during the integration procedure of the next driver version.

If you want to create an XP CD with a big variety of textmode drivers, I recommend to use the DriverPacks method. For details you may look here.

Regards

Fernando

Edited by Fernando 1

You can be very confident, that you will succeed with the XP installation onto your laptop in real mode, if you have integrated the 32bit Intel textmode driver and checked the Intel ICH8M AHCI Controller, but you will not be able to test the drivers with VMWare.
Probably not. It is not recommended to integrate several drivers of the same chipset vendor (in this case Intel), because you cannot be sure, which driver version at least will be installed. The problem is induced by the fact, that all different Intel driver versions have the same name: IASTOR.SYS. So the already integrated IASTOR.SYS file will be overwritten during the integration procedure of the next driver version.

If you want to create an XP CD with a big variety of textmode drivers, I recommend to use the DriverPacks method. For details you may look here.

Regards

Fernando

ok fine.But then can help me with a link to download the actual driver's:

Thanks...............

But then can help me with a link to download the actual driver's:

The device named "Intel® ICH8M SATA AHCI Controller (DEV_2829) is supported by the Intel Matrix Storage Manager drivers, whereas the "Intel® ICH8M Ultra Storage Controller (DEV_2850) is managed by the Intel chipset drivers ("INF Update Utility").

You will be able to get Windows XP installed onto your laptop by just integrating the Intel Matrix Storage Manager drivers v8.8.0.1009, which are linked within my guide (first post). If you want to get both Controllers from scratch, you have to integrate both drivers (32bit Intel Matrix Storage Manager driver as TEXTMODE driver and INF drivers as PNP drivers).

The links to both drivers are within my guide (first post of this thread).

A. Actual Intel Matrix Storage Manager drivers:

a ) For Intel ICH7R/M, ICH8R/M, ICH9R/M or ICH10R/D S-ATA AHCI and RAID Controllers:
  • If you are going to install the 32bit version of Windows XP or Windows Server 2003, you will just need the actual 32bit Intel textmode drivers. You can download them here:
    32bit Intel textmode drivers v8.8.0.1009 (download link)
    Unzip and store the driver folder somewhere.

B. Actual Intel chipset drivers ("INF Update Utility"):

It is a good idea to additionally integrate the Intel INF files drivers named Intel® Chipset Device Software as normal device (=PnP) driver. You can download the actual INF drivers here.

Tip: Download the actual package named "Update INF Utility - Zip Format" and unzip it with a tool like WinRar or 7-Zip. The INF files (needed for the chipset driver integration) are within the folder named "All". You can take any of them (nLite will copy them all).

Good luck!

Fernando

Edited by Fernando 1

Regards

Fernando

Thanks for your instant respond

I don't want to use driverspacks. I want only intel drivers. Also I tried them on a hp pavilion 6500 and i had problems.... The folders was not opening instantly but after 1-2

seconds. I think then the perfect solution is to use more than one nlited versions of windows with different intel driver combination for laptops. Which combinations do you recommend? Could a) B ) C) mean that I have to make a combination for each one? (enabling All IDE controllers in each one... my problem there is will windows slect the proper drive for sure?) And which one do you think is more appropiate for newer laptops such as HP Pavilion dv6000, Sony.Vaio.VGN-FZ21Z, toshiba and acer, from your experience? (You can understand i have a lot of friends that counting on me....Also in greece sometimes the fact that they do not give us the technical information book or cables that comes with our hardware making the whole situation more messy... don't ask me why I'll never find out....) If we answer that question, I think that the post would be even more useful for novice pc users.

Edited by stsaerox

I think then the perfect solution is to use more than one nlited versions of windows with different intel driver combination for laptops. Which combinations do you recommend? Could a) B ) C) mean that I have to make a combination for each one? (enabling All IDE controllers in each one...
As I already have written, it is not recommended at all to integrate several textmode drivers of the same Mass Storage Controller vendor.

What you can do is the following:

Integrate the 32bit version of the actual Intel textmode driver v8.8.0.1009 (see the link within my guide) and check all listed Intel ICH7/8/9M SATA AHCI and RAID Controllers, when you get the popup window. This way you will get a Windows XP CD, which does support all laptops, which have an Intel ICH7M, ICH8M or ICH9M Southbridge, regardless the SATA mode (AHCI or RAID).

my problem there is will windows slect the proper drive for sure?)
I assume, that you mean "driver" and not "drive": Yes, since there is just 1 single driver integrated, but this driver will support all possible Intel ICH7/8/9M Controllers of laptops, which do support AHCI and RAID.

I think then the perfect solution is to use more than one nlited versions of windows with different intel driver combination for laptops. Which combinations do you recommend? Could a) B ) C) mean that I have to make a combination for each one? (enabling All IDE controllers in each one...
As I already have written, it is not recommended at all to integrate several textmode drivers of the same Mass Storage Controller vendor.

What you can do is the following:

Integrate the 32bit version of the actual Intel textmode driver v8.8.0.1009 (see the link within my guide) and check all listed Intel ICH7/8/9M SATA AHCI and RAID Controllers, when you get the popup window. This way you will get a Windows XP CD, which does support all laptops, which have an Intel ICH7M, ICH8M or ICH9M Southbridge, regardless the SATA mode (AHCI or RAID).

my problem there is will windows slect the proper drive for sure?)
I assume, that you mean "driver" and not "drive": Yes, since there is just 1 single driver integrated, but this driver will support all possible Intel ICH7/8/9M Controllers of laptops, which do support AHCI and RAID.

Thanks a lot.

on the start of your post you are writing:

a ) For Intel ICH7R/M, ICH8R/M, ICH9R/M or ICH10R/D S-ATA AHCI and RAID Controllers:(I assume that you mean them)

b ) Especially for desktop/notebook users with an Intel ICH8 or ICH9 (without R or M) chipset mainboard, who want to use AHCI

c ) For Intel ICH6M S-ATA AHCI Controllers

d ) For Intel ICH5R S-ATA RAID Controllers

e ) For Intel Server boards with Server RAID Technology

The conclusion is that first is most appropriate (at least for the ICH7R/M, ICH8R/M, ICH9R/M or ICH10R/D S-ATA AHCI controlers)

and I can NOT make an installation with all of them. I can ONLY pick for example only a) or B) or c)(one of them)

And I can select all possible controllers in any of them on the "Storage Device Textmode Driver" popup window

Is that right?

Sorry But I'm reading this again again... and always get confused.

on the start of your post you are writing:

a ) For Intel ICH7R/M, ICH8R/M, ICH9R/M or ICH10R/D S-ATA AHCI and RAID Controllers:(I assume that you mean them)

b ) Especially for desktop/notebook users with an Intel ICH8 or ICH9 (without R or M) chipset mainboard, who want to use AHCI

c ) For Intel ICH6M S-ATA AHCI Controllers

d ) For Intel ICH5R S-ATA RAID Controllers

e ) For Intel Server boards with Server RAID Technology

The conclusion is that first is most appropriate (at least for the ICH7R/M, ICH8R/M, ICH9R/M or ICH10R/D S-ATA AHCI controlers)

and I can NOT make an installation with all of them. I can ONLY pick for example only a ) or b ) or c ) (one of them)

And I can select all possible controllers in any of them on the "Storage Device Textmode Driver" popup window

Is that right?

Yes.

Hi

I am trying to help a friend out. The work i see discussed here is likely, without a lot of help, a bit above my area of expertise.

However, i have read where one can simply make a change in the bios from raid to ide. This, i think would likely work for me here, but the problem is that the "raid" is greyed so that i cant change it to ide. I have looked around in the bios and i cant see where to change it from raid to ide or any other setting to ide. I am certain thats all i would have to do.

Its an Acer Aspire M1640 dual core pentium machine with Intel Broadwater/ICH8 mobo. Here:

http://www.acerpanam.com/synapse/forms/por...=&areaid=17

Cany anyone tell me how and where to make the necessary changes in the bios so that i can install win xp pro. right now it has vista and when i try using my win xp pro home cd i get the stop 7b error. I am convinced its the sata\raid\bios issue and if i can fix that, change it to ide then all should be fine.

thanks in advance, looks like a great site!

@ nork:

Welcome at MSFN Forums!

Here is my comment regarding your problem:

1. If you are not able to disable the RAID mode within the BIOS, you have to work with the SATA Controller set in RAID mode. It is no problem, but you have to load (F6) or integrate the appropriate RAID driver, if you want to get Windows XP installed.

2. According to Acers homepage the Aspire M1640 doesn't have an Intel ICH8, but a NVIDIA nForce 620i chipset. So you are wrong within this thread, the suitable is this one.

3. You will get the newest complete chipset driver set inclusive the needed nForce SATARAID ones, when you download this driverpack.

4. After having unzipped the package, you should integrate just the content of the SATARAID subfolder into a bootable XP CD.

5. Here is the guide how to do it and where to post any future question.

Good luck!

Fernando