Integration of Intel's SATA AHCI and RAID drivers

Fernando 1

You not getting what am saying.there is no such option in the bios that is what i mean.hp pavilion dv-6000 this kind of laptop series does not come with ability to change the sata whatever.
There must be a BIOS option to disable the enhanced SATA mode (AHCI or RAID).

I have done a Google search for "HP Pavilion dv-6000 +driver +SATA" and I got a lot of links with the same conclusion: Set the "SATA Enhanced Modus" or "SATA Native Support" to DISABLED.

If the Windows XP Setup doesn't recognize the SATA hdd, the related SATA Controller is set to AHCI or RAID mode. There should be a BIOS option to disable it.

The other possibility is to integrate the suitable SATA AHCI or RAID textmode driver, but this requires the knowledge of the SOUTHBRIDGE (= SATA Controllers) chip of your pavilion dv-6000. Do you know it?

If you should still have access to Vista, you may open the device manager and look for the controller names within the "IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers" and "Storage Controllers" section. The knowledge of these names will help us to find out the vendor of your SATA Controllers and the suitable SATA driver.

EDIT:

I got it after an intensive new Google search. The Southbridge of your notebook has a NVIDIA MCP51 Southbridge, the SATA hdd obviously is set to RAID mode (MCP51 chipsets do not support AHCI).

So if you want or have to stick with your current BIOS settings, you probably have to integrate the SATARAID folder of a driver, which supports nForce 430/410 chipsets. You will find everything within this guide.

If you should have any further question, please post into the just linked thread, because this thread has nothing to do with your problem.

Edited by Fernando 1

Hy everyone! I have a question for fernando. I have a Asrock 4core1600Twins-P35 motherboard and i enabled ahci in bios. in the manual of my board says that i have to install ahci controller during windows setup (F6) from floppy. The driver version of that ahci controller that was provided on the original cd of my motherboard is 7.8.0.1012. So i slipstreamed that driver using nlite and it worked fine but when i installed xp under device manager, under ide,ata,atapi controllers shows the driver but it says it is not digitally signed! Here is the screenshot:

ahci

So, I wanted to slipstream new drivers 8.8.0.1009 and i did. i downloaded it from intel site and slipstreamed them but know i get a bsod, windows doesnt recognize hdds. Should i install your modified drivers for ich9 chipset because its obvious that my motherboard doesnt have r or m sign after ich9?!Is that the problem?Im not sure so i wanted to ask you first. Thanks in advance!

Hy everyone! I have a question for fernando. I have a Asrock 4core1600Twins-P35 motherboard and i enabled ahci in bios. in the manual of my board says that i have to install ahci controller during windows setup (F6) from floppy. The driver version of that ahci controller that was provided on the original cd of my motherboard is 7.8.0.1012. So i slipstreamed that driver using nlite and it worked fine but when i installed xp under device manager, under ide,ata,atapi controllers shows the driver but it says it is not digitally signed! Here is the screenshot:

ahci

So, I wanted to slipstream new drivers 8.8.0.1009 and i did. i downloaded it from intel site and slipstreamed them but know i get a bsod, windows doesnt recognize hdds. Should i install your modified drivers for ich9 chipset because its obvious that my motherboard doesnt have r or m sign after ich9?!Is that the problem?Im not sure so i wanted to ask you first. Thanks in advance!

Hi goc666,

I hope you don't mind if I answer instead of Fernando, since I recently used his guide on the exact same motherboard as yours (thanks Fernando you're the coolest :thumbup).

Yes, the modded driver is needed, and the link in the first post of this thread was updated recently with 8.8.0.1009, so I think you'll have no problems using it. (I used the previous version.)

About driver signing - it's interesting that on another computer (laptop, ICH9M) while using the original Intel's driver - it still says unsigned. I think it isn't important, and what's the use of driver signing anyway... :whistle:

Don't forget to update BIOS, there were quite a few updates when I checked.

Pozdrav (greetings)

GL

@ goc666:

The reason, why you are not able to get any WHQL signed Intel SATA AHCI driver installed, is the fact, that your mainboard only has an Intel ICH9 Southbridge and not an ICH9R or ICH9M one. The AHCI ability of the Intel ICH8 and ICH9 Southbridges (without a letter behind it) is officially not supported by Intel, the specific DeviceID's (in your case: DEV_2923) are missing within the INF file of the digitally signed drivers.

Solution for you:

Take the Intel textmode driver v8.8.0.1009, which has been customized by me to be suitable with Intel ICH8 and ICH9 Southbridges. You will find it within my guide.

By the way: The missing WHQL stamp doesn't have any influence on the function of a driver.

@ GrofLuigi:

Thanks for your assistance. You are totally right.

I replied nevertheless just to explain the reason, why goc666 was not able to get a WHQL signed Intel AHCI driver installed.

Edited by Fernando 1

Hi

Im struggling with a Dell Latitude E6500

Tried manual integration, tried textmode, tried nlite and the best i could get was that it detects the harddrive, however it comes up with the following error

Setup was unable to format the partition. The disk may be damaged.

Any ideas what i missing with this?

Cheers

Tried manual integration, tried textmode, tried nlite and the best i could get was that it detects the harddrive, however it comes up with the following error

You probably missed nothing.

Either the hdd is really damaged or the partition index, which is stored within the track0 of the hdd, could not be read by Windows setup.

Tip:

Check the hdd by the diagnostic tool of the hdd vendor. If needed, do a low format of the hdd by using the tool.

Thank you for your explanation!
You are welcome!

By the way:

Did you use the v8.8.0.1009 driver, which has been modified by me? If yes, has the XP installation been successfull, that means does AHCI work?

You probably missed nothing.

Either the hdd is really damaged or the partition index, which is stored within the track0 of the hdd, could not be read by Windows setup.

Tip:

Check the hdd by the diagnostic tool of the hdd vendor. If needed, do a low format of the hdd by using the tool.

Hi

I used the Dell cd and it works fine with reformating the drive and copying the files when run on the cdrom drive. I even went to the level of copying the whole dell recovery cd to the ris server and even that failed with the same error? It finds the drive, you can select it, delete partition and hit format, then it brings up that error again

Cheers

I used the Dell cd and it works fine with reformating the drive and copying the files when run on the cdrom drive. I even went to the level of copying the whole dell recovery cd to the ris server and even that failed with the same error? It finds the drive, you can select it, delete partition and hit format, then it brings up that error again
If you should have access to any Windows OS (Vista?) with your Dell computer, try to format the future XP partition from within the running OS.

If not, I would do, what I have already suggested.

Edited by Fernando 1

great post Fernando, will spend today trying this on my gateway mt6730 notebook!

I have the Intel ICH8M Ultra ATA Storage Controller-2850 & Standard AHCI 1.0 Serial ATA Controller listed in my device manager with Vista Home premium SP1, I shouldn't have any problems assuming I follow your guide to the letter?

I have the Intel ICH8M Ultra ATA Storage Controller-2850 & Standard AHCI 1.0 Serial ATA Controller listed in my device manager with Vista Home premium SP1, I shouldn't have any problems assuming I follow your guide to the letter?
Welcome at MSFN Forums!

No, you will not have any problem, if you just follow my guide.

Have fun!

Fernando

Thanks, burning the iso now, only thing i did differently was when selecting the chipset inf file as per your guide i choose the folder to get it from, instead of single file, as i have the gateway chipset driver extracted to my laptop, i assume that is fine, will post my results after install (hopefully lol)