Integration of Intel's SATA AHCI and RAID drivers

Fernando 1

• 2 weeks later...
Fernando can I get this to work just adding the file and sending it to a RIS server instead of burning the cd? Does it make a different? Please advise.
Since I don't have any experience with this procedure, I am sorry not being able to help you.

If you should nevertheless been able to get it working, please post the way into this thread.

CU

Fernando

Fernando your a genius :thumbup

I had gone down the nLite route on my own by downloading the appropriate Intel SATA drivers. Needless to say I couldn't get it to work, XP refused to install with multiple BSOD. Eventually I did get past the initial text installation screens with XP correctly identify the hard drive... but... a BSOD was always waiting round the corner at the final reboot at the end of the installation.

Eventually I turned to Google and found your guide... it saved my life! The trick was to use your driver, the one I had downloaded from Intel allowed me past the text setup screens by would always BSOD when rebooting midway through the GUI install.

Thank you so much, my shiny new laptop is not no longer lumbered with Vista and can enjoy XP :thumbup

Your a true star!!

:thumbup :thumbup :thumbup

@ all users with an Intel ICH7-10 SATA AHCI or RAID configuration:

Since Intel recently has published a new official version 8.8.0.1009 of its Matrix Storage Manager, I have updated my guide (first post of this thread) and the included download links.

You will now be directed to the latest WHQL certified Intel textmode drivers and to the newest version of the Intel Matrix Storage Manager application package v8.8.0.1009 dated 03/13/2009.

Have fun!

Fernando

can anybody help me pls with my problem , i want to change to ahci but i cannot find a solution

i have a foxconn motherboard with p965 intel chipset +ich 8 ,4xsata2, and 2 ide controlled by jmicron 361.

i have a wd 640 gb sata 2 connected on sata 1 channel, and a dvdrw assus on ide slave.

in bios i cannot find AHCI mode ,i only have onchip ide device >onchip serial atta setting >sata mode = sata mode /disable, and on Onboard device >jmicron jmb361 controller = raid /ide-sata/disable.

i have win xp sp3 ,my bios is up to date,i tried everything and nothing works.i dont care if i`ll have to reinstall my windows,i just want the sata 2 hdd on ahci.

in device manager i see ich8 2 port 2825 and ich8 4 port 2820 and i also see that the hdd is controlled by ich8 4 port.if i move the hdd on sata channel 3/4 then the hdd will be controlled by the 2 port.the dvdrw is controlled by jmicron.

if in bios i select sata mode =disable , when restart , the serial ata ahci bios version ircs ...bla bla copy right 03-06 intel corporation pops up...CONTROLLER NOT FOUND, AHCI BIOS NOT INSTALLED....so i think this is the ahci mode , right ?also i cant install xp with f6 disk because no hdd was found ,not even in bios.i don`t know what else to do.even if i update the controller driver manualy in xp and restart , switch sata mode = disable , i get controller not found..pls help

@ stefan7:

Welcome at MSFN Forums!

Now to your problem:

You should look into the manual of your mainboard, if AHCI is supported at all. If the Southbridge of your mainboard doesn't support AHCI, you will not be able to run any hdd in AHCI mode.

Even if the mainboard manual doesn't contain any informations regarding AHCI, you can verify it yourself, if you know the chip specification of the Intel Southbridge. Only Intel SATA Controllers with a letter (M or R) behind the ICH number do fully support the AHCI features. Nevertheless it is possible to run some ICH8 and ICH9 chipset boards in AHCI mode. If you should have such board, you may try the Intel textmode driver, which has been modified by me to make it compatible with these special Intel ICH8/ICH9 chips. You will find the download link within my guide (first post of this thread).

Since you didn't write the exact name of your Foxconn mainboard, I am not able to help you regarding the specifications of the Intel Southbridge.

Maybe it helps, if you open the Device Manager and look for the HardwareID's of your in-use Intel SATA Controller (right click onto the Controller > "Properties" > "Details" > "Property" > "HardwareID's"). If I know the Device ID number, I am able to tell you, if my modded driver version will work with your system.

CU

Fernando

Thx Fernando for replaying !

my motherboard is foxconn P9657AA-8KS2H link here http://www.foxconnchannel.com/product/Moth...ID=en-us0000171

in the manual it dosent say about the ahci.

the sourth bridge is Intel 82801HB ICH8.

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2820&SUBSYS_0CCA105B&REV_02\3&2411E6FE&0&FA

Name: Intel® ICH8 4 port Serial ATA Storage Controller - 2820

Hardware ID's:

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2820&SUBSYS_0CCA105B&REV_02

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2820&SUBSYS_0CCA105B

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2820&CC_01018F

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2820&CC_0101

Compatible ID's:

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2820&REV_02

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2820

PCI\VEN_8086&CC_01018F

PCI\VEN_8086&CC_0101

PCI\VEN_8086

PCI\CC_01018F

PCI\CC_0101

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2825&SUBSYS_0CCA105B&REV_02\3&2411E6FE&0&FD

Name: Intel® ICH8 2 port Serial ATA Storage Controller - 2825

Hardware ID's:

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2825&SUBSYS_0CCA105B&REV_02

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2825&SUBSYS_0CCA105B

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2825&CC_010185

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2825&CC_0101

Compatible ID's:

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2825&REV_02

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2825

PCI\VEN_8086&CC_010185

PCI\VEN_8086&CC_0101

PCI\VEN_8086

PCI\CC_010185

PCI\CC_0101

i tried the modified text drivers but no hdd shows up.I also tried with a x64 vista sp1 dvd and a x32 vista sp1 dvd and still no hdd.

Edited by stefan7

@ stefan7:

Thanks for the details of your mainboard and the HardwareID's.

After having checked them I realized, that your mainboard doesn't support AHCI at all. So you will not be able to get the AHCI Mode enabled even by using a modded Intel textmode driver.

I am sorry about that, but there is no big performance difference between AHCI and non-AHCI systems.

Greetings

Fernando

:( so why intel bios is showing up when i put sata mode = disable ?and how did you realized that the motherboard dosent know ahci ?in everest in the chipset menu / ich 8 it shows Controller PCI Express - PCI-E 1.0 x1 port #1 In useing @ x1 (JMicron JMB361 SATA-II AHCI Controller) Edited by stefan7

so why intel bios is showing up when i put sata mode = disable ?
I don't think, that this has anything to do with the AHCI mode abilty of the Intel ICH8 SATA Controllers of your board.
and how did you realized that the motherboard dosent know ahci ?
Because none of the listed Intel ICH8 Controller HardwareID's show the &CC_0106 suffix, which is absolutely needed for the AHCI support.
you have in everest in the chipset menu / ich 8 it shows Controller PCI Express - PCI-E 1.0 x1 port #1 In useing @ x1 (JMicron JMB361 SATA-II AHCI Controller)
This doesn't mean, that any of your Intel ICH8 SATA Controllers do support AHCI.

Nevertheless it seems possible, that you will get the AHCI features, if you are using one of the JMicron SATA ports of your mainboard.

If you want to try it, you should do the following:

1. Create a bootable XP CD with integrated JMicron textmode drivers.
  2. Connect your SATA hdd to any SATA port, which is managed by the JMicron SATA AHCI Controller.
  3. If your optical drive should be a SATA one, connect it to any Intel SATA port (many optical drives do not like to be run in AHCI mode).
  4. Enable the AHCI mode within the mainboard BIOS (maybe by setting the SATA mode to "disabled").
  5. Boot off the XP CD and install the OS.

Good luck!

Fernando