Integration of Intel's SATA AHCI and RAID drivers

Fernando 1

@ SilverArrow:

You already gave the answer yourself. It is no problem to integrate the Intel SATA AHCI/RAID driver into a clean Windows XP/W2k3 CD. Just follow my guide you have linked to.

Where is your problem? Are you missing a clean OS source?

@ Fernando:

No, I have a clean source, but I was wondering if i can use your method to intergrate the drivers into a new source disc, and then continue using nlite to make a new customized nlite version of around 240mb, or will removing stuff with nlite mess up the intergration process?

So use a clean source disc windows xp, intergrate sp2, the intel drivers as in you instructions and make my customized nlite version normally which will be around 240mb for the iso all in one session, and that I will then be able install this nlited windows version with sp2 and the intel drivers integrated. Is this correct?

Edited by SilverArrow

Fernando, a bit off-topic, but are you aware of any incompatibilities between the Intel ICH10R controller and the Samsung estool drive diagnose tool?
No, I have never heard about such incompatibilities.

What do you mean with "estool"? Samsungs hdd diagnostic tool is named "HUTIL" (look here).

By the way: There is a brandnew version of the "Intel Matrix Storage Manager" available. It hasn't yet been published by Intel, but you can get the actual v8.8.0.1009 dated 02.11.2009 from here. This new version contains WHQL certified AHCI/RAID drivers v8.8.0.1009 and is runnung fine with my ICH9R RAID system.

EDIT:

No, I have a clean source, but I was wondering if i can use your method to intergrate the drivers into a new source disc, and then continue using nlite to make a new customized nlite version of around 240mb, or will removing stuff with nlite mess up the intergration process?
You probably will be able to reuse a source, where just the Intel textmode drivers are integrated and nothing else has been changed (no use of the "unattended install" option etc.), but this procedure is not recommended.

Why don't you integrate everything at once into the clean source?

Edited by Fernando 1

What do you mean with "estool"? Samsungs hdd diagnostic tool is named "HUTIL" (look here).

It's the successor (2.11) to HUTIL (2.10) if I'm informed correctly... (look here).

The HUTIL tool looks for an ICH7 controller and does not detect my ICH10R; the estool is trying to find an ICH8 controller, but detects my ICH10R controller... Both are copyrighted 2007... Weird, right?!

The HUTIL tool looks for an ICH7 controller and does not detect my ICH10R; the estool is trying to find an ICH8 controller, but detects my ICH10R controller... Both are copyrighted 2007... Weird, right?!
I agree with you.

Isn't it possible to run any HD diagnostic tool within a DOS environment disregarding any RAID/AHCI Controller?

Isn't it possible to run any HD diagnostic tool within a DOS environment disregarding any RAID/AHCI Controller?

estool is a DOS tool... So only the HW/BIOS of the controller is involved (no Windows driver).

(that's why I marked it as a little off-topic to start with; just hoped that you as an expert had some extra info)

Interesting enough a German user has posted here rather similar problems with the exact combination MIS P45 Neo-3 FR with Samsung HD642JJ.

German is not my native language, but I believe that he writes in one of his posts that he has called Samsung and they replied that it might actually indeed be an incompatibility with the chipset or a bug in the estool software...

I'm getting more and more confused what to do now...

hey again

I will continue my questions from this post: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...mp;#entry841449

First: In my bios i have disabled SATA RAID/AHCI Mode. So does this mean i use IDE Mode?

Second: When i try to install my OS (windows xp) the installion guide give me the "bluescreen failure" - is this because i need to add some sata drivers in the beging (F6) ?

I dont have a floppy disk btw.

And sorry for my bad english - not my strongest skill.

First: In my bios i have disabled SATA RAID/AHCI Mode. So does this mean i use IDE Mode?

Second: When i try to install my OS (windows xp) the installion guide give me the "bluescreen failure" - is this because i need to add some sata drivers in the beging (F6) ?

Answers:

1. If you have disabled the SATA RAID/AHCI Mode within the BIOS, your Intel SATA ports will run in "IDE Mode". That means, that you should be able to get Windows XP or any newer Windows OS installed without loading (F6) or integrating any driver. You can simply boot off the original Windows XP CD and install the OS.

2. A missing driver doesn't induce a BSOD ("Blue Screen of Death"). If the OS Setup is missing any specific textmode driver to detect the SATA drive, it will just don't show you the drive where the OS can be installed. There must be another reason for your Bluescreens.

This is what I suggest:

1. If you should have more than 3 GB of RAM, remove 1-2 RAM sticks.

2. Boot off your original (=absolutely untouched) Windows XP CD and try to install the OS without any integrated drivers.

If you should get a BSOD nevertheless, you obviously have a hardware problem. Most often the BSOD is induced by bad or overclocked RAM sticks. You can check your RAM sticks by a tool named MEMTEST.

Good luck!

Fernando

Answers:

1. If you have disabled the SATA RAID/AHCI Mode within the BIOS, your Intel SATA ports will run in "IDE Mode". That means, that you should be able to get Windows XP or any newer Windows OS installed without loading (F6) or integrating any driver. You can simply boot off the original Windows XP CD and install the OS.

2. A missing driver doesn't induce a BSOD ("Blue Screen of Death"). If the OS Setup is missing any specific textmode driver to detect the SATA drive, it will just don't show you the drive where the OS can be installed. There must be another reason for your Bluescreens.

This is what I suggest:

1. If you should have more than 3 GB of RAM, remove 1-2 RAM sticks.

2. Boot off your original (=absolutely untouched) Windows XP CD and try to install the OS without any integrated drivers.

If you should get a BSOD nevertheless, you obviously have a hardware problem. Most often the BSOD is induced by bad or overclocked RAM sticks. You can check your RAM sticks by a tool named MEMTEST.

Good luck!

Fernando

I have tried to use my originial windows xp cd but i get bsod - i have only 2 gb ram (normally 4 gb). Can you link to the memtest and is it a dos program?

Fernando, will the Intel SATA drivers be included in the recovery console as well, if I install that from an install disc with integrated drivers?

It looks like that... and that would be rather cool!